“Low price & the basics are what you get here.”

Howard Johnson Express Inn - Wilmington
Ranked #42 of 45 Hotels in Wilmington
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I stayed 3 nights here recently &I didn't want to spend a lot of $. ( Less than 50$ ) It's an old hotel with a faded smell/ look about it. The room however-had all the basics, Wi-Fi, microwave, refrigerator, as well as a complementary breakfast and newspaper. I felt the tub was not clean, but the staff ( Indian or Pakastani perhaps) were cordial & efficient. I always bring my own febreeze, Clorox wipes, pillow & blanket. If you want to save $ be prepared.

• Stayed: October 2012

Reviewed October 19, 2012

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 9, 2012

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We had a free night.went to Wilmington,for end of summer night. Front desk very nice,room clean, basic hotel. Hey! We are at beach! Very close to wrights Ville beach or downtown.had a frig and microwave. I would recommend this for short visit .one negative would be a outside entrance . I was with husband so it was fine. As a single ,person I wouldn't like

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 6, 2012

We always stay at this hotel when visiting family in Wilmington. Using Wyndham resort points, we find this one the best value for points, plus the rooms are very large, which is a definate plus. Not fancy, but beds are comfortable, and they have the added bonus of smoking rooms, something that we have begun banning hotels over not offering. We highly recommend them if you need an overnight to lay your head, and are not looking for a vacation resort.

Room Tip: Coffee on buffet bar not so hot. there is a breakfast restaurant short ways away on the right when...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here in early August for less than $65 a night! It is just off a main street near strip malls but at no point did we feel unsafe. The rooms were spacious and clean. I have to admit after I read the reviews here I was really skeptical but couldn't beat the price! I didn't see any bugs anywhere. The staff were friendly. It is also not too far from downtown. I would definitely stay here because it was a great value!

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 5, 2012

It's in a bad area near the ghetto. Drove around a little and went a few street behind it and I couldn't drive out of there fast enough. One of those areas where you wonder if you'll be shot at driving through or robbed. It is a older hotel. Lots of wear and tear. Checked for any sort of bugs when I got there (flashlight and all) and didn't see anything. The bathtub was terribly stained with blackdirty stuff on the bottom and had hair on it where it obviously hadn't been properly cleaned. The beds looked descent enough. While getting ready for bed, I saw a roach on the floor dead that hadn't been there earlier and it looked like it had crawled out of a crack next to it and died. That's when I thought to myself "the reviews about having bugs are true and I should have listened to my gut and not stayed." The night was terrible due to being so close to the highway/Market Street. Lots of loud music from the cars all night and the morning was no better with us being right next to the breakfast area. Breakfast wasn't too bad though for the price of the rooms. My children enjoyed a danish and muffins with orange juice. Hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. Next time I will be staying far away from this part of town though and it will not be at any Howard Johnson Hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family