“boathouse”

Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 25, 2013

very good seafood, reasonably priced and good service. well worth a visit. went on a saturday night, did not have to wait for seats. very attentive waitress. will return for another meal.

2  Thank Monk55

Reviewed February 16, 2013

Really EXCELLENT southern food! We had been hearing praise of their food and especially their $3.99 breakfast that includes egg, meat, grits and potatoes so we went for lunch. Our lunch was delicious. We ordered the lunch portion of fried flounder with slaw and collards, a house salad, fried green tomatoes that came with mango chutney(oh my it was fantastic...) and french fries. Every single thing was delicious. We always say you can tell if it's gonna be good if the hushpuppies that come out first are good and they were and our hypothesis was correct! One thing even a great restaurant will miss the mark on is the collards....well these did NOT come out of a can or freezer....they were big leafy, tender and flavorful...so flavorful I skipped the vinegar I usually doctor them with! It is a nice looking place, well appointed but very comfortable. We loved it and will go back and often. Seafood is their specialty but they have other stuff on their menu for those that don't eat seafood. Tomorrows special is pot roast with all the trimmings and I am thinking about it right now. Go see these folks, they were all very attentive.

4  Thank cathasson
Reviewed January 24, 2013

This is (by far) your best bet for good ol' fashion fried seafood in the Wilmington area. The service & food are always good. They also have lots of daily specials. Their prices are very reasonable. I highly recommend it.

3  Thank wilmington_girl
Reviewed December 11, 2012

The Boathouse Restaurant, located on Oleander Dr. between downtown Wilmington and Wrightsville Beach, is occupying a building built several years ago for a Hardees hamburger/fast food location.
Serving some very very good seafood, as well as many southern comfort foods, The Boathouse offers a high quality, moderatly priced option.
Quiet, elegant decor, adds to the very good food and very attentive service,all at prices that won't break the bank.
The last visit my wife and I made to the Boathouse, I got the fried flounder and shrimp combo platter. A very large piece of flounder fillet, and almost three (3) dozen fried shrimp, was priced at just $14.95. And that price included two side items and hushpuppies.
My wife had the fried catfish and fried shrimp platter. This also consisted of a large piece of fish fillet and over two (2) dozen shrimp. In both cases the shrimp were good size and not the small shrimp you get at most restaurants of this type. This platter was also $14.95, including two sides.
The Boathouse also serves an extremely good breakfast, or so I am told by friends who have eaten breakfast there.
Would I recommend this restaurant? Without hesitation!

2  Thank SquareCaller
Reviewed October 23, 2012

The calabash style was refreshingly good. Having often been tricked into these style restaurants only to be served frozen product with a crust so thick you were not sure what you were eating. Not here. Nice ambiance (very clean) witha varied menu and lots of desirable side dishes offered.
The calabash style flounder and shrimp we received were excellent and very very fresh tastsing. Side were done just right and not too heavy. Hush puppies to start were also hot and light and tasty. Did not order wine (at this lunch) but the offering of Liberty School Cab for $6 is a deal.
Could go on and on about dervicer etc., but everything was absolutely great. If you are in the mood for really good seafood, this is a good place. A fellow customer told me the babyback ribs were great, but I didn't try them. The $9.99 lunch price was not cheap, but a very good value.

4  Thank eric b