“Slap yo mama good!”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
NC
“Slap yo mama good!”
Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Really EXCELLENT southern food! We had been hearing praise of their food and especially their $3.99 breakfast that includes egg, meat, grits and potatoes so we went for lunch. Our lunch was delicious. We ordered the lunch portion of fried flounder with slaw and collards, a house salad, fried green tomatoes that came with mango chutney(oh my it was fantastic...) and french fries. Every single thing was delicious. We always say you can tell if it's gonna be good if the hushpuppies that come out first are good and they were and our hypothesis was correct! One thing even a great restaurant will miss the mark on is the collards....well these did NOT come out of a can or freezer....they were big leafy, tender and flavorful...so flavorful I skipped the vinegar I usually doctor them with! It is a nice looking place, well appointed but very comfortable. We loved it and will go back and often. Seafood is their specialty but they have other stuff on their menu for those that don't eat seafood. Tomorrows special is pot roast with all the trimmings and I am thinking about it right now. Go see these folks, they were all very attentive.

4 Thank cathasson

Wilmington, North Carolina
“Best Fried Seafood In Wilmington”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

This is (by far) your best bet for good ol' fashion fried seafood in the Wilmington area. The service & food are always good. They also have lots of daily specials. Their prices are very reasonable. I highly recommend it.

• Visited January 2013
3 Thank wilmington_girl
Wilmington, NC
“Once a fast food location, now serving excellant meals.”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

The Boathouse Restaurant, located on Oleander Dr. between downtown Wilmington and Wrightsville Beach, is occupying a building built several years ago for a Hardees hamburger/fast food location.
Serving some very very good seafood, as well as many southern comfort foods, The Boathouse offers a high quality, moderatly priced option.
Quiet, elegant decor, adds to the very good food and very attentive service,all at prices that won't break the bank.
The last visit my wife and I made to the Boathouse, I got the fried flounder and shrimp combo platter. A very large piece of flounder fillet, and almost three (3) dozen fried shrimp, was priced at just $14.95. And that price included two side items and hushpuppies.
My wife had the fried catfish and fried shrimp platter. This also consisted of a large piece of fish fillet and over two (2) dozen shrimp. In both cases the shrimp were good size and not the small shrimp you get at most restaurants of this type. This platter was also $14.95, including two sides.
The Boathouse also serves an extremely good breakfast, or so I am told by friends who have eaten breakfast there.
Would I recommend this restaurant? Without hesitation!

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank SquareCaller
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Fried but light and fresh”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

The calabash style was refreshingly good. Having often been tricked into these style restaurants only to be served frozen product with a crust so thick you were not sure what you were eating. Not here. Nice ambiance (very clean) witha varied menu and lots of desirable side dishes offered.
The calabash style flounder and shrimp we received were excellent and very very fresh tastsing. Side were done just right and not too heavy. Hush puppies to start were also hot and light and tasty. Did not order wine (at this lunch) but the offering of Liberty School Cab for $6 is a deal.
Could go on and on about dervicer etc., but everything was absolutely great. If you are in the mood for really good seafood, this is a good place. A fellow customer told me the babyback ribs were great, but I didn't try them. The $9.99 lunch price was not cheap, but a very good value.

• Visited October 2012
4 Thank eric b
Brussels, Belgium
“Wonderful Food”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I have to give this place a very good review. It’s not elegant, but it was exactly what I was looking for. Hence the "five" rating" for the food - and the waitresses.

Open clean environment. Looks like a remodeled large fast food place near Bradley Creek marina. Can be a bit challenging turning left in and out of the parking off a very busy road, so be careful.

We went there once for lunch and twice for breakfast.

Lunch was the highlight. It advertised a Calabash style seafood fry and it hit the mark. We both went for the flounder/shrimp combo. Shrimp were average size and perfectly cooked. Flounder also perfectly cooked and seemed fresher than other fish restaurants in the area. The waitress warned us that there could be the odd bone in the flounder and sure enough we found a few. But it’s fish and unless you are having a thick steak from a large fish, there could always been bones. In fact, I think that was an indication of fresh local fish. Many other places are boneless, but I wonder if those flounder come as fish filets from a large processing place.

The waitresses were extremely nice, especially the young girl with light hair that she would creatively arrange.

Very generous portions at prices lower than most other restaurants.

Breakfast also very nice. Had the typical combo of eggs/sausage/hash browns and toast. The sausage was more a Polish sausage, so I didn’t really go for that, but the rest was good. It’s not Whitey’s from the old days, but it’s better than Causeway Café near the draw bridge near the draw bridge with its tasteless hash browns and dry scrambled eggs. The next morning I had the western omelet which was perfect.

Very good food worth the visit. Hope they don't change the seafood.

• Visited October 2012