“Nice Structure, but Something was Missing”
Review of Bellamy Mansion

Bellamy Mansion
Ranked #5 of 119 things to do in Wilmington
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed August 27, 2014

Decided to go with a designated tour with paid admission. Started off with an informational video that was not too long, with pieces of pertinent information about the structure and history. Our tour guide was informative, polite and looked professional. Our group was able to hear loud and clear. They also gave enough time for Q&A and moved everything along in a smooth fashion. The home itself has some wonderful structural details but it really was sparse inside. My favorite spot was the third floor children's area since it had the most finished appearance. It would have been nice if it had more period clothing or furniture to really give you a feel for how the house looked in it's hey day. With most of the rooms empty it was difficult for me really appreciate the house in all its splendor. Could be really fascinating with some minor 'tweaks'.

2  Thank MissyPA71

Reviewed August 25, 2014

I have driven by the mansion many times over the years but I had never taken the time to do a tour. I took my daughter on a Friday afternoon. We had a very good afternoon. We took the guided tour and I would recommend this. They have a recorded self tour as well. There is no extra charge for the guided tour.

Our tour guide was very informative and was able to answer all the questions from our group of twelve. They have a brief video to watch before the tour.

We had time to explore the grounds at our leisure before and after the tour. Free parking is available at the mansion and they have a good gift shop. Take the time to visit.

Reviewed August 20, 2014

Very interesting tour. Learned about the city life of a Southern aristocrat. Tour guide was informative however the group had trouble hearing and sometimes people at the end of the group missed part of the explanation due to the guide talking before the whole group arrived in each room. A microphone on the guide would have also benefitted the group.

Reviewed August 20, 2014

We had a nice visit to the Bellamy mansion. It was closed when we first wanted to visit on a Monday, so we went later in the week. It is an interesting place, but would have been better if they had it furnished. Most of the rooms were bare. And, the fact that it was air conditioned took something away from you feeling you were in the period. The slave quarters in back were interesting, and the gift shop and little museum there were nice. My only issue would be that the guide kept saying how well the . Bellamy family treated its slaves, but I guess everything is relative. We also visited Poplar Grove Plantation which we liked much better.

Reviewed August 11, 2014

We got there 30 minutes before closing so they asked for a small donation to enter. I'm so glad we didn't pay the entrance fee because it took 15 minutes to see every room. There is very minimal furniture, some rooms have none at all. They have installed local art throughout the halls and in some rooms. This is a good concept, but just really doesn't work, in my opinion.

After touring some really exceptional homes in Charleston, the Bellamy Mansion was very underwhelming. Put this at the bottom of your must do list.

1  Thank kansasbird