“Detailed and covering more than one room!”
Review of The Wilmingtonian

The Wilmingtonian
Ranked #19 of 44 Hotels in Wilmington
Lumberton, North Carolina
“Detailed and covering more than one room!”
Reviewed September 4, 2006

My review of the Wilmingtonian will contain a critique of the room we 'almost' stayed in, the room we actually stayed in and then a few other rooms we were able to see as well as a review of the staff and general areas.

We were originally booked in the maritime house in the regatta suite. First, THE NEGATIVES: 'Suite' is not the right word for the rooms in this house. they (and ours) look like low budget apartments. They are very dated. The 'nautical' theme is more of a childs playroom with bright blue walls and pictures of boats and such on the curtains. The carpet and couch are on the dirty side and very old. The tiny tube television is stuck in a corner that cannot be viewed from the couch. Between the maritime and the motel 6, I would prefer the motel 6 for a better price. If you are looking to stay someplace that has a sitting area and a small fridge, it is in a nice location and during the week is $125 dollars as opposed to the $165 during a weekend. THE POSATIVES: the room has a lovely porch in front with 2 rocking chairs that look over a very quaint courtyard with the sound of a nice waterfall. The outside of this room is very calming, which you need for your psyche after seeing the actual room itself.

We did not stay in this room b/c we were looking for a "bed and breakfast", "period style" room to enjoy for the weekend, well, that and we really just did not like the room we were in.

That brings us to the next room:
The George Bernard Shaw Suite in the De Rossett house (the 1841 mansion). First, the negatives: I have none! From the moment we walked into this room we felt the romance, the elegance and absolutely loved "the feel" of the place. It is tastefully decorated, cozy, comfortable and makes you feel like you want to sip champagne and relax on the floral couch in front of the gas fireplace. The Jacuzzi tub is separate from the spacious shower in the bathroom which makes for nice choices. Do be aware though, this place is centered around enjoying the ambiance, you will not have large flat screen TV’s and a lot of other media. If you require a nice TV, etc, this will not be the place for you. The TV's are small. It is however, a great place to sit, read and sip your favorite cocktail!

The General Areas:
The Mansion itself has a lovely porch. My husband and I sat on the porch overlooking the beautiful gardens and reading books together. The inside sitting area is also very nice and transports you back in time. The bar and bartender are a great feature of this place. They use fresh herbs from the garden to incorporate into their different drinks.
The plantation dining room has wonderful ambience and the food is fantastic. I can't say enough about the service in the mansion.

While in the mansion, we were fortunate enough to get a tour of the Eugene 'O Neil, the Lillian Russell, and the Oscar wild.

Out of the 3, the Eugene O'Neil was my least favorite only because the couch looked more like from a department store and did not fit in with the period look. That being said, truly all 3 rooms are beautiful and all have Jacuzzi tubs and small kitchens with stoves and full fridges. Just lovely.

The 3rd building we were fortunate enough to see was the Dram Tree house. We got a viewing of suite #7, which has a name, but I don't remember what it is called. It also has lovely wood floors, flowery furniture and shower curtains, a nice kitchen, four poster bed. Just a wonderful, quaint room and a less expensive option to the rooms in the mansion, yet it has the mansion room feel. It has a regular tub/shower combo though. nothing special about the bathrooms, but still a wonderful alternative. Suite #7 overlooks a fish filled pond, a gazebo with a grill and the courtyard shared with the maritime building.

The "bakery bag":
Loved it! was excited to hear the knock on the door at the specific time you request it's delivery each morning. By the time you get to the door, there is not a person in site. Just a newspaper, a lovely clear bag with handles that contains a fresh baked pastry filled with fruit, fresh squeezed orange juice very chilled, and a nice yogurt. A great little surprise in a bag to start the day!

The staff:
All the staff except for the front desk staff are wonderful. The housekeeping staff, the bartender, the wait staff and the groundskeeper, all are very accommodating and friendly. The experiences we had with most of the people at the front, left us to believe they were a little "up tight" and needed to get out and have some fun to remember what it is like. One of the boys in front acted like he did not want to be bothered as we were interrupting his viewing of the football game. The others were ok, just not friendly.

SO there it is, the good, the bad and the ugly.

We would definitely stay at the wilmingtonian again, in fact we plan to. We will never stay in the maritime building. and we will probably only consider the rooms we have seen or any room in the mansion. This way we know what we are getting.

Hope you find this helpful. Please feel free to ask questions.

• Liked — The mansion, the gardens, the historic quality, the location!
  • Disliked — Certain Front desk people
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't stay in the maritime.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
6 Thank oinee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed March 7, 2006

My husband and I had hoped for a well needed rest for the long weekend. What we got was a room that was either freezing or overheated. The wi-fi was not reliable either. The converted apartment building has no elevator nor is there any staff help to get heavy luggage up to the 3rd floor when the dumb waiter isn't working. We did enjoy the quaint continental breakfast service delivered to our room every morning. The hotel is located in a wonderful area of downtown, but we had trouble finding parking after going out at night. The staff was pleasant but offered no resolution to our problems. We'll return to Wilmington, but not to this hotel.

• Stayed February 2006
8 Thank Mirth60
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed February 11, 2006

I was somewhat aghast to see negative reviews of accomodations that our son and future daughter-in-law were recommending to guests for their upcoming wedding. We decided to do a test run of the Wilmingtonian and were pleasantly surprised and pleased. All the rooms have a small kitchen and living area, and ours even had a washer and dryer. Unlike previous reviewers opinions, we felt that the rooms were clean, parking was a breeze, and the location was great. We stayed in the Cinema House, and at least from the outside, all other buildings appeared to be well taken care of also. We plan to stay in the compound for the wedding and would easily recommend it to our wedding guests.

1 Thank JMS28409
Reviewed August 22, 2005

I stayed at the Wilmingtonian because my best friend's wedding was next door so the location was very convenient. However, I was very disappointed with my room--the floors and furniture were dirty, linens were limited, the bed took all the space in the bedroom and the bathroom door wouldn't close.

I had problems with the billiing, resulting in several talks with "manager" and other employees--they took care of the discrepancy but wasted 2 hours of my time doing so. Parking was horrible.

I was originally impressed by the appearance of the inn but after gettting a closer view realized the impression is entirely superficial. I will not stay at the Wilmingtonian again, nor will I recommend it to others.

Stayed May 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 24, 2005

I booked this room on the internet and thought it was a good deal. I arrived to a room that at first glance was very nice, but upon inspection turned out to be quite nasty. I stayed in the Hunter suite and it was decorated with a lot of wood. However, the wood sutters, floors, moldings, bathroom corners, and bedroom were very, very dusty and grey (not polishished). There was leftover residue in the kitchen sink from the last guest which I refused to put my hand in to clean. The bathroom had less than 1/2 a roll of toilet paper and the sink was so low with strands of hair! The bed was a four poster, high bed that took up the entire room. I tried to move it over so that I could get to the shelves and realized that the door wouldn't close. There was a hole in the wall next to the bed which they may have been trying to hide. The coffeemaker had leftover residue (so that wasn't cleaned good either). Overall, for the money spent, I have stayed at better, cheaper places. Our room was right at the corner over the registration building so you could imagine the loud music cruising the block, not to mention the girls hanging over the balcony across the street evidently inebriated and loud. I checked out the next day and will never go back!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 20, 2005

Our stay at the Wilmingtonian was disappointing considering the price, photos and description on their website. For $165/night, we were assigned - not to the beautiful southern mansion - but to a 3-story converted apartment building. Our "porch" was the walkway between rooms and did have two rocking chairs to enjoy the night air. However, the porch overlooked the unsightly and noisy air conditioning units in the next building. The flower garden was under construction with mud and rocks everywhere - even though it was in the middle of the blooming season. The parking was a nightmare as they seem to only have about 20 parking spaces for the entire hotel. On street parking is limited to 2-hour meters and the residential neighborhood parking a block away resulted in a $30 parking ticket.

• Stayed June 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Wilmington, NC
Reviewed February 16, 2005

We had occasion to travel to Wilmington and I selected the Wilmingtonian Inn. It looked good on the web site and would say that is fair representation. We booked one of their better suites which had 2 fireplaces (1 did not work), a sink that drained very slowly, the breakfast service is plastic saucers, the cheese tray came with no knife...all small items which can be easily sorted with some effort.

The billing process, same as earlier post was poor. The first rule of packages....the total cost MUST be less than the sum of the components. Not here. The Valentines package (I purchased) was overpriced for they inadvertently charged me rack rate and it was cheaper, leaving aside their system only showed us on the hotel for one night and I could have paid and left at check out but I correctly volunteered to make payment for two nights. I was charged for dinner and then it was added to my room charge....so I needed to follow up with AmEx as the hotel never called me as promised.

The staff are all very friendly. The business center is nice and wifi throughout property is great.

Would I return, or send my friends....doubtful. It was OK, but it could be so much better, which is unfortunate because the location is terriffic.

4 Thank Gordondd9