“Good location”
Review of The Wilmingtonian

The Wilmingtonian
Ranked #21 of 45 Hotels in Wilmington
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Old Wilmington is small and this hotel is a block away from the action. The room was spacious but the bathroom was small. The hotel provides a cold breakfast and there is free parking. There aren't too many choices of hotels here, so I recommend this place for its charm.

Room Tip: Request a ground floor room
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
erich1102, Front Office Manager at The Wilmingtonian, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2012

Thanks so much. We hope to see you again!

Reviewed July 9, 2012

I spent at least 30 minutes across multiple phone calls getting descriptions of different rooms and making a selection, based on our wish for a king bed and a room located away from street noise. The confirmation email I received after my call noted the specific room I had chosen. Upon check-in, over a month later, my wife and I were sent to a room with a queen bed and much shabbier appointments than had been described, so I retrieved my confirmation email and, sure enough, we'd been given a different room. Upon returning to the front desk, it was explained to me that the room I had reserved had to be given to another customer in order to get that person's business, so they moved us. It was further made clear that this was not an unusual occurrence—"sometimes they move people" (in fact it also happened to the other couple traveling with us). When I asked how they could defend telling me that I had reserved a specific room if the room was still being made available to other customers calling after me, I just got shrugged shoulders and an invitation to speak with the manager when he came in the following day. The desk clerk moved us to another room in somewhat better condition, but still with only a queen bed (no king rooms were available). No adjustment to my rate was offered (though the clerk said we were getting a break in getting the second room for the same price as the one we reserved, because it was in a different building for which they normally charged $20 more, so I suppose I should be grateful that I wasn't charged extra for getting a smaller bed than I requested).

Other than the bed being rock hard and the walls paper thin (I could hear our neighbor snoring), the value for the price was reasonable. If you're not concerned with reserving a specific room and are content to take whatever they give you at check-in, the Wilmingtonian may work out fine for you. But if you have specific needs, such as a king bed or particular room location, you cannot rely on your reservation being honored. For this reason, neither of the two couples in our party will stay there again.

Room Tip: Don't bother--specific room reservations are not honored.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Bart-in-Raleigh
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

We are sorry to hear about your less-than-desirable experience at our hotel.

And we’re sorry that the situation was explained in such a way that made you feel as though you aren’t a valued guest.

The problem arose because our staff did not note in your reservation that you had requested this specific suite. Later, when another guest called looking to book a suite for an extended period, there was not one suite available to accommodate the entire time frame. When this happens we move other guests around to try to free up one suite for all of the dates requested. Unless, of course, a guest has requested a specific suite. We did not make notes on your reservation regarding your request. If we had, another suite, other than yours, would have been selected to accommodate the long term guest. The Wilmingtonian always tries to accommodate specific requests whenever possible. On rare occasions maintenance problems require that a guest be moved from their requested suite. We dropped the ball on this one and for that we are terribly sorry. Please know that our staff has been retrained regarding how to book reservations for guests who have specific requests.

Whenever we switch a reservation, we always move the guest to a suite that is larger or has more amenities at the same rate as the original, smaller suite. While the suite that you booked is cozy and quaint and full of charm, it is the smallest suite on our property. When we moved you (not knowing of your request), we hoped that we were giving you something that you would like better.

Once again, we apologize for not meeting our own high standards in this regard and we hope that you will give us another chance to show you how great the Wilmingtonian can be.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

We can second the great review of the Charlie Chaplin room. In addition to the recent visit to that room, we have also stayed in the Marilyn Monroe room and one other room which is situated over the main office. They are all quality rooms. The front desk person was amazingly helpful and gracious. This historic lodging is charming, beautifully maintained and situated close to the waterfront. Is it our favorite place to stay when we visit. Even though it was close to 100 degrees while we were there, the room stayed cool and comfortable. Please know that the stairs are fairly steep, in case anyone has any stair climbing issues.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

It has been scorching hot, hasn't it?

Thank you for your wonderful review. We look forward to seeing you next time.

Reviewed July 5, 2012

My husband and I spent 6 nights here while we discovered the wonderful city of Wilmington and all it has to offer for fun and relaxation. We stayed in the comfortable large themed suite, Charlie Chaplin on the second floor overlooking the garden. We enjoyed sitting occasionally in the rocking chairs on the mini balcony with the overhead fan to keep us cool. The rooms were large and airy and very, very clean. The bed in the bedroom was very comfortable with nice fluffy pillows. The kitchen was nice although I didn't cook but there were dishes, utensils, and pans if you wanted to. I did use the toaster. There is a mini grocery store across the street for any extras you might want.

A big plus about the Wilmingtonian is they have complementary water, soda, trail bars, fresh fruit and muffins all day. (the huge muffins are delicious) There is a free trolley that goes past here although its an easy walk to the waterfront. We used the trolley when we visited the train museum. We took the free trolley around the area when we first got there just to see where we were! If you have a chance, take a walk around the block. There are some beautiful homes located here.

I could go on and on about all the wonderful things we did and saw (also really good restaurants) but the main reason for writing is to let others know that staying at the Wilmingtonian was the perfect place to stay and they really made us feel at home.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 8, 2012

Thank you so much for sharing your experience at our hotel with us. It's great to hear that you had a pleasant stay and we look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Wilmington.

Reviewed July 1, 2012

Me and my boyfriend stayed here for two nights in May - hadn't booked ahead but went and booked a room based on the central location. It's really close to the boardwalk and nice restaurants, shops etc so an easy stroll to wherever you want to go. Paid around £70 ($90 + tax) a night and had a lovely room with a kitchenette, lounge area and a nice bedroom and bathroom. Staff were really friendly and helpful and we enjoyed having free fruit juices, muffins and cereal bars from reception. We would definitely recommend this to anyone staying in Wilmington!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 3, 2012

Glad to hear that you had a great time in our city. Thanks for the kind words and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed June 28, 2012

Stayed here as I needed a downtown location but did not liked it. Maybe it had to do with the room (#7) but the dirt was visible between the planks on the floor; the furniture seems to come from the sixties and was long overdue. The couch had lost it firmness, the bed was so noisy; as was my neighbors one (!?!); so I did not try the appliances. TV was ok. Stayed in better places downtown for less.

Room Tip: stay away from the ones above the reception; hopefully the others are less outdated
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded July 3, 2012

Sorry to hear that you had a less than satisfactory experience at our hotel. Thank you for bringing these items to our attention. We hope that in the future you will give us another chance to show you how great we can be.

Reviewed May 27, 2012

I recently stayed at the Wilmingtonian for the Memorial Day weekend with my girlfriend. We were actually recommended to the Wilmingtonian by the Best Western due to their lack of vacancy. I must say that I am completely impressed. The staff was awesome! There was a woman at the front desk named Martha. She was so sweet and helpful I wish I could have put her in my pocket lol. She set us up in the Casa Blanca suite for two nights. Overall this spot is in an excellent location in downtown Wilmington. Everything is in walking distance. The suites are nice and cozy. I highly recommend staying here!!!

Room Tip: You really can't go wrong here.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Paris B
Management response:Responded July 3, 2012

Wow! Thanks a lot. We hope to see you again soon.