“AMAZING!!!”
Review of Stemmerman's Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wilmington
Stemmerman's Inn
Ranked #6 of 18 Wilmington B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 2, 2009

I was in town for a wedding at the Riverdeck, and found this hotel to be quite perfect. The staff was friendly and very helpful. At check in, we were even helped with our bags to our room. The staff was able to get anything we need; extra towels, a corkscrew, and even directions to a cute deli. Whatever we asked they had an answer.

The rooms were recently renovated, and the loft setup allowed plenty of space for getting ready for wedding. The refrigerator in the kitchenette was very handy as well. To top it all off, we were treated to a bowl of candy since we stayed over Halloween.

The Inn is conveniently located to everything in Historic district, and even though we had a car parked in the private parking lot, we were able to walk everywhere we need to go.

The next time I travel to Wilmington, this will be where I stay.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank OHLax

Reviewed July 13, 2009

My wife and I traveled down from Raleigh for a weekend getaway to run the Tri Span 10K and enjoy the Wilmington nightlife.

We could not have been more pleased, despite other reviews that the area was dangerous or had urinating bums around the place...No such activity took place and we never felt in danger or otherwise like we had anything to worry about!!!

The location is optimal to enjoy all the downtown area has to offer and from the time we set foot in the door of the Inn, we knew all was okay. We had a wonderful welcome from Myra, the Inn Keeper who gave us great recommendations for both food and drink which we took full advantage of...

The room is a modernly refurbished loft-style efficiency that was perfect for our needs. While certainly not a run of the mill hotel, we wanted something a bit quirky and off the beaten path...Stemmerman's Inn was altogether a wonderful find that suited our needs perfectly!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AQuick1976
Reviewed October 12, 2008

First of all, don't be confused by the descriptions on websites for this place. It is neither a hotel or a B&B. The rooms are short-term rentals that the owner hires out for tourists when available. Some of the rooms were occupied by long term tenants.

The room was modern and the finish was excellent, although our room was 'loft' style, i.e. the bed was located up a staircase over the main living room area. There was a mini-kitchen - good for folks on a budget and the bathroom was en-suite. Unfortunately, our room faced the street and there were no curtains or blinds over the windows. The stairs to the bed area were against some long windows, so at night you could be seen by people on the street if you walked down the stairs with the lights on. Not a great feature. Also, the windows had long cracks down the panes, which made me feel a little uneasy.

To access the rooms requires using stairs, as they are located above a restaurant. This makes the rooms unsuitable for disabled or elderly folks. Stairs are available from the rear (parking lot) and the front street. The front street door was a little awkward to open and close and did not fill me with confidence.

The location is very good, directly in down town Wilmington near the restaurant and bars. There is parking at the rear, which was tricky locating the first time we arrived. We were required to call the owner to get the keys to our room. The place is not staffed. This is an important thing to note, as it can take a long time to check in and to receive assistance when required.

Over all, this was not 'bad'. It was just an odd experience. More like a hostel in many ways. I would probably not stay in this place again.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed May 31, 2008

I found this hotel by searching properties in Wilmington. This was for a girlie getaway weekend. We all looked at the pictures on the website, and decided it was worth a shot.

On the web site they make several references to contacting the hotel directly for any special arrangements, to check on rates, etc. About two weeks before our stay, I tried to call and email the property because I wanted to add a name to the reservation so a friend could check in if she arrived first. The email address from the site was returned to me as being a non-address. Then, repeated phone calls went unanswered . . . no machine . . . no voice mail. . . NOTHING.

When I read the trip advisor reviews, I contacted my friends to see how they felt about an "unstaffed" hotel. We still decided to hold the reservation. Largely based on the area of town it was located in.

When my friends arrived at the hotel, they found homeless people in the doorway, a man graffiting a wall across from the door, and a man publicly urinating just a few feet down from the door. And, this was all during the middle of the afternoon in the historic downtown district. My friends decided that it wasn't safe and made the decision that it was worth losing the money for our reservation and paying twice as much to stay somewhere else.

I can't imagine anyone feeling safe in this hotel, regardless of how cheap it is.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank nola08
Reviewed December 12, 2007

Having read the previous reviewer's thoughts, I was prepared to not be meeting the inn keeper, and so maybe that helped me appreciate even more this little place's charm and, yes, quirkiness. Lots of room for the money when compared to a hotel. Nicely decorated, but the kitchen was not very well equipped, and the stove top seemed to have lost its ability to heat anything with low heat. Stayed on high the whole time in use. Private, free, off street parking...a big plus in this historic district where parking is at a premium. Great outdoor deck with view of the river, and lots going on nearby. I plan to stay here again and would recommend it to anyone, especially those with some sense of adventure.

• Stayed: August 2007
Reviewed May 30, 2005

One would think that this is a charming bed and breakfast spot. It is not. It's up a staircase, over a storefront. It's impersonnal and, actually, quite odd. The innkeeper is just a voice on a phone. There is no one there at check in -- just an envelope atop a rickety staircase.
I found the whole experience quite scary. Then, after numerous email and telephone requests for a receipt -- I still haven't gotten one.
This is certainly not at all worth the money. There are lovely B&B's in this charming city. This one is a storefront, masquarading as an inn.
I talked to a local innkeeper who said many people have come trickling over, fooled by an inviting website that in no way reflects reality.
Stay away.

• Stayed: May 2005, traveled on business
4  Thank leslie212
A TripAdvisor Member
Chapel Hill, NC
Reviewed April 24, 2005

Stayed at Stemmerman's Inn over a Saturday night in April. It was a pleasant place to be. Clean, comfortable, quiet. Nice views of the Cape Fear river and the downtown streetscape. The Thai restaurant, Rim Wang, on the ground floor was excellent as well.

There was quite reasonable attention to detail in the room- good sheets, nice sleeping loft, no clutter- a bonus is the washer/dryer and complimentary soap. The parking is secure as well.

I would recommend Stemmerman's to anyone who would like to drive down to Wilmington, park the car, and explore on foot - good location.

• Stayed: April 2005