“Great place in every way”

Jameson Inn Wilmington
Ranked #26 of 45 Hotels in Wilmington
Reviewed July 28, 2005

Clean, bright comfortable room with recliner. Breakfast buffet in a relaxed, spacious area and well-stocked with many choices. Pool area well maintained. Friendly staff. Also STRONGLY recommend Bolero's Cuban restaurant-less than 5 minute easy walk from motel. Delicious food and super prices on food and bar items. Hotel has discount book that will get you second entree at 1/2 price too.

5  Thank kernelbozo

A TripAdvisor Member
Ohio
Reviewed July 20, 2005

I was a fan of the Signature Inn chain when it had properties in Ohio (this is a sister company of Signature). For my trip to an NC beach, we've traditionally stayed in Wilmington. This year we picked this place based on its reasonable price for a one-nighter. $25 to $50 more might have been a better idea.

The worn guestroom green carpet mentioned by a previous reviewer still exists. It looks horrible and makes the whole room feel nasty and dirty. This place has a more expansive room than other hotels, I suppose, but its open floorplan makes it feel like one big room. They might have done a better job designing the room layouts.

The bathroom was very blah. All flat white paint. There were some cosmetic issues with the ceiling or wall or trim that I can't recall specifically.

Good to have the mini fridge. Sink was near the entrance to the room, which felt funny.

Worst thing: AC did NOT come close to cooling the room over night. We were suffering like I did in growing up w/o AC. I told the front desk about it on checkout and they did nothing. They didn't apologize. And they didn't suggest they'd look into it for the next sucker.

I joined the frequent guest program that give me stock in the company, but I'm not sure I'll ever stay at one of their properties. Better choice might be that new Marriott property, in selected cities, SpringHill Suites. Not sure how they might compare pricewise.

Best thing about this place: proximity to Target and restaurants. I'd say it's adequate for vacation stopovers but I definately would NOT stay here on business. Not nice enough. I'd be frustrated w/my accomodations if I were there evenings for a few days or week or longer.

Wilmington, I think, lacks the newer properties that I like. We had a terrible experience with the Courtyard Marriott across the street from the Jamison last year (2004).

• Stayed: July 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 20, 2005

We stayed at the Jameson Inn because it was really rated highly on this site. The room was smaller than comparable hotels but clean. The outdoor pool was nice. The free breakfast was good and had a waffle maker, which the kids loved. The carpet was a dark green and did show some stains. Besides that it was fine, but nothing special. They advertise free internet access which was one computer in the lobby for everyone to share. It was fine until people started hoovering over my shoulder for their turn. There were no towels at the pool so we had to use our room ones which was a little inconvenient.

1  Thank CincinnatiCeleste
Reviewed March 30, 2005

Very pleased with this chain of hotels. First time we used them and will try to find them again in our travels. Reasonable and very clean.

• Stayed: March 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
New York
Reviewed March 21, 2005

The Jameson is, in my view, an adequate, medium-priced hotel. Better than many of the flea-bags along Market St, but really nothing special.
The rooms were clean (I stayed in a NS King for 1 week on business), and for about 5 bucks more/day you can move up a level and get a room with a small refrigerator and a microwave) and the hotel was generally well cared for. (I did discover and mention a loose banister to the desk staff on a Monday morning; I stayed on 3rd foor and used a stairwell, though there is an elevator. This dangerous safety issue should have been prioritized and repaired immediately, yet it was in the same condition 36 hours later.)
I would rate the staff as neutral; neither indifferent nor exemplary at customer service. They did their job, which one would expect at a minimum.
Security did not exist, as I could come and go at all hours thru the lobby entrance, and often there was no one at the front desk to observe. Side entrances did require room keys.
The small pool was closed while I was there (this was the middle of March and still cool) and the detached exercise room (adjacent to the pool area) was nothing special. I found a local health club and went with day-passes a few times (Wilmington Athletic Club, wilmingtonathleticclub; nice accomodating staff, some good classes, and good equipment. Nice club!)
The big breakfast attraction (waffles) was overrated. You pour a little pre-portioned batter into 1 of 2 waffle makers, and douse the result in sugary syrup. Other breakfast items included a selection of dry cereals, instant oatmeal packets, hard, stale, saran-wrapped things they called "bagels", (I've lived in NY, so please don't tell me what a bagel is...I don't mean to come off as arrogant, just honest) cellophane pre-wrapped muffins with long expiration dates (horrible), a plate of hard-boiled eggs (scary-looking, yet one gentleman was happily chomping away one morning), pre-wrapped sausage-biscuits that could be microwaved (can you feel your arteries hardening yet??).
The best things were juice and coffee.
NO fresh fruit, such as bananas, (there was a basket of hard, old green apples and small oranges which were more decorative than edible)
NO yogurts.
NO fresh, appealing breads, rolls, or even a package of English muffins.
NO peanut-butter.
I ended up buying a few bananas and nice navel oranges (and a small jar of PB) at a grocery, and having the dry-cereal and coffee...this was fine.
There is no on-site laundry, so if you need to stay a while and do some laundry, expect to go out find a coin-op. I did. Fortunately, this is not difficult.
The wireless internet access (free!) was flawless.
There is a computer terminal (with internet access) in the lobby for guests without their laptops. No printer.
The hotel location is convenient (5-15 minutes to everything) and NOT right on busy, noisy Market St.
Overall, this is a clean, reasonably adequate hotel with a good location, and with realistic expectations, I might consider it again when business takes me to Wilmington.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 10, 2005

what a great hotel hidden from the craziness of Wilmington traffic.. Sparkling lobby, clean rooms and great breakfast, make your own waffles! Top notch staff, Angie was very friendly and explained all the amenities to me. Great pool and fitness center. They bake cookies at night! All they need is someone to tuck you in and it's almost home.

• Stayed: December 2004
6  Thank Ohdedodaday
Reviewed August 11, 2004

I have stayed at the Jameson Inn many times and it is the BEST. Located on a side road and away from all the traffic on Market Street is just one of the many great features! I have traveled all over the world since my parents worked for Pan Am(pilot and stewardess) and have stayed in many hotels. The Jameson was new a few years ago and the rooms are still perfect. Wonderful cushioned carpet in the rooms, a built-in corner desk and a nice recliner. The free breakfast buffet includes make-your-own waffles on a griddle. Across from a Target and about 5 miles from Wrightsville Beach!! There is a small, clean pool at the hotel, also.

6  Thank pan-am-1