“BEST sushi in Wilmington!”
Review of Genki Sushi

Genki Sushi
Reserve with OpenTable
Genki Sushi is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 698 Restaurants in Wilmington
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Description: NOTE****If you are reading this description, please take note that we will only hold your reservation for 15 minutes. After that, you forfeit your reservation. Our apologies for this, we can not hold tables past 15 minutes as this does not help with our other wait times. Thank you for your participation and understanding in this. Genki Sushi is the ONLY Authentic Japanese sushi bar and Restaurant in Wilmington and surrounding areas. We only use fresh ingredients and we make every thing in house including our very own soy sauce blend. We are located in the heart of Wilmington. We strive hard to maintain the highest quality of food, ingredients and service. We are considered " A True taste of Japan". Come and see what real Japanese sushi taste like! We cant wait for you to have a new place to eat sushi at, and that is with us!
Reviewed January 25, 2013

For a truly authentic Japanese experience, you MUST visit Genki!! Owners Sugi-san, the sushi chef, and his wife Rieko prepare everything fresh and are wonderful hosts for your delicious japanese meal. We've been eating here for years and have never been disappointed. Once you've experienced Genki, you will not go back to those "americanized" sushi restaurants. Always filled with regulars, Genki offers great food, great service, authentic japanese food.

1  Thank KayDee58

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Family run joint where you often have to wait a minute to get served. However, that's because there is only one Sushi Chef. But, good, quality sushi will come your way.

Reviewed September 11, 2012

The atmosphere is straight out of Japan. Having lived there for two years, and loving sushi, I can safely say that Sushi Genki faithfully recreates the feeling of a sushi restaurant in Japan.

I struck up a conversation with Sugi-san, the Japanese chef and his wife Rieko. They quickly mentioned that it would be at least 30 minutes for sushi to be served. I started with a beer and some miso soup. I was also given a very nice little dish of seaweed and eda mame. I was then given some homemade sake which was fantastic. The first sushi, hamachi, sake, and uni, was fresh, simple and exceptionally delicious. After that, I asked for 3-4 more pieces of whatever Sugi-san thought was best. I was treated to some unagi , saba and two other pieces of sushi that were just right.

I've been to many, many sushi restaurants. Genki is a gem and it I am envious of those who live nearby who can visit Genki Sushi more often that I can. This is truly a Japanese experience.

1  Thank brownbeer
Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

After reading the rave reviews here, I knew I had to give this place a try. From start to finish, it was the greatest atmosphere and meal I have had in ages. The waitress and owners visited with customers and warmly welcomed everyone. The sushi was phenomenal and fresh. At the end of the meal, the waitress brought complimentary caramels to the table. I was blown away and am already looking forward to returning!

1  Thank beckyp830
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Hands down, Genki is the BEST sushi in Wilmington, NC. If you're looking for top quality sushi, this is the place to go. While it boats a traditional Japanese atmosphere (not swanky or Americanized by any means), the quality of the food does not disappoint. Some drawbacks are that they don't offer a wide variety of hand rolls or any specialty rolls, but for someone like myself who only eats Rainbow rolls, this place knows what they're doing. I consider myself a sushi snob since a Rainbow roll is basically all raw fish and therefore, must be good. I've been to countless places and Genki is by far the BEST place I've ever eaten at for sushi. The fish is extremely fresh and tender. It's served at room temp, which is how sushi should be served, and it is never chewy or tough. It really does melt in your mouth. So many places will serve you sushi where the fish and rice are cold and a little hardened. Almost as if it was placed in a refrigerator and all of its freshness was lost. This place does not do that. While they do only have one chef making all of the food, if you can get past the plain ambiance and slower service, the sushi definitely speaks for itself. I've eaten at other sushi places around Wilmington and in major cities like Philadelphia and New York and let me tell you, Genki is dirt cheap compared to everyone else. And the funny part is, is that the quality isn't sacrificed. You can go to other places around Wilmington like Hiro or Nikki's and the food just simply doesn't measure up AND they will charge you an arm and a leg. Personally, I go for quality over the atmosphere and I have yet to find a place that surpasses Genki. As I tell everyone, it's Wilmington's best kept secret for sushi.