“Gone downhill” 2 of 5 bubbles

Got a photo?
Add it.
Curry Valley Indian Bistro
Cuisines: Indian
Description: (910) 632-2377 ‎phone. This restaurant is new, but they're tops. Great lunch buffet and a wonderful, reasonable dinner menu. Best Indian restaurant in Cape Fear.
Spencer, North Carolina
“Gone downhill”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

Indian cuisine is my favorite food introduced to me by my many Indian friends. I have eaten at hundreds of Indian restaurants including a visit to Curry Valley last summer. When we visited last summer while on vacation everything was top notch. When we made our visit this year we noticed there was a big sign out front that said "BUFFET" and we suspected things had gone down hill but we went in anyway. There were only two other people there so I went over and glanced at the buffet which was nearly empty and looked like the stuff had been out for a while. We decided we would order fresh off the menu to avoid the whole buffet deal. I ordered Lamb Vindaloo and my wife wanted chicken tikka masala. The owner came over to take our order which he did for my Lamb but insisted the Chicken Tikka was already on the buffet. My wife asked if there would be more brought out to the buffet and the owner replied yes. My wife went ahead and got her plate from the bufett and had had some samosas while I waited for my dish to be brought out. When the samosas were brought out I asked for some mint chutney and tamarind sauce which is traditionally served with samosas. The owner then proceeds to tell me to go and get it off the buffet. So I order off the menu, there are only two other patrons in here but I have to get up and go get my own condiments?? When I finally got down to eating my long awaited samosas I did notice that there were some of the best I had ever eaten. I cant really say that for the Lamb Vindaloo though. There were about 5-6 very small pieces of meat in a bowl of red sauce with a few potatoes floating around. The meat was tough and flavorless and the sauce was just plain strange. Even after my wife asked again for more food to be brought out to the buffet, none was ever brought out. Out of everything the best things we had here were the samosas, bread basket, and the aloo papri chaat. When we got the bill for all of this my wife almost passed out. I would never visit this place again.

Visited June 2012
2 Thank Jason R

Wilmington, North Carolina
“nope. don't bother, go to INDIA MAHAL!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2011

if you are in wilmington, NC and you want amazing indian food and excellent, friendly service go to INDIA MAHAL!!! india mahal has been around for years and years loooooooong before this place showed up!

• Visited November 2011
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
“I have never been to a restaurant where the wait staff not only avoided, but hid from you!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2011

My daughter and I went to this restaurant for their lunch buffet. The sign says that the buffet includes beverage. What it doesn't tell you is that water will be poured for you and then the waiter will never return to see what you would like to order for your beverage. We went to the buffet, got our food and sat down. The waiter made several trips to the other tables pouring water, but never came back to us. At one point I walked across the restaurant to talk to him and he literally hid under the bar to avoid talking to me! I have never seen anything like it! Our meal was ok. I would have liked some chutney, but was never able to ask. We ate the entire meal with no water as we finished it before starting. Avoid this place if you enjoy any type of customer service!

• 3 of 5 bubbles