“Small, cosy and tasty”

Ranked #26 of 686 Restaurants in Wilmington
Cuisines: European, French, Mediterranean, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Wilmington's authentic French Cafe and Wine Bar established January 2001. "Wine Down" on the Riverwalk! Serving Lunch and Dinner: Soups, Salads, Quiche, Cheese, Charcuterie, Seasonal and Daily Entrees, Dessert... Famous Chocolate Mousse. Wine, Beer and Spirits. Inside/Outside dining and friendly service. Enjoy a river breeze and catch a sunset!
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Small, cosy and tasty”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

A little gem on the Riverwalk in Downtown Wilmington, amid the larger, mostly pedestrian, tourist places. Small inside and the menu is not pages long but the offerings are beyond the usual chicken wraps and caesar salads. Have been to Le Catalan for numerous lunches and dinner a few times. Portions are european size not american super sized, which makes it perfect for before theater or events downtown. During my last visit this past week, I had the crab salad and my companions each had the goat cheese salad and cassoulet. Lots of nice french wines,we had glasses of the Cotes de Rhone and Vouyray. Definitely a nice place as long as your not expecting tons of food and want something beyond the usual american staples. The daily specials usually include a quiche of the day, soup of the day, as well.

1 Thank mysteryfan4

pgh
“Will be dreaming of tomato basil soup”
Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful food, really enjoyed! Great flavors and nice atmosphere. The tomato basil soup was the best I ever had and the crab penne with cream sauce was wonderful, must try if in the area

codywolf
“Great view, good food and also Dog Friendly!”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

My family has dined several times at Le Catalan and we have had consistently good experience with the food, wine and service. The daily specials have been delicious and the cheese plate ordered for our daughter was more than generous. The salads accompanying our entrees were very fresh and had a house vinaigrette. The wine selection is lovely and the pours are generous. This restaurant is also dog friendly if you dine on the outdoor patio, they even brought a bowl of water for our thirsty pup!

• Visited July 2013
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
“Beautiful view, great food”
Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

Perfect portion size. Beautiful setting. Mediterranean trip was wonderful, especially the sun dried tomato pesto. The chocolate mousse was dark chocolate and very rich. Everyone enjoyed their food - glad we stopped by!

Zurich, Switzerland
“A little piece of France in North Carolina”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I was walking along the Riverwalk in the quaint town of Wilmington/NC and happened to come across this cute restaurant right on the water. The little bistro tables and chairs on the outside made me feel as if I were in Paris. So I decided that's where I will have my birthday lunch. I had lots of good food - small plates so that you can combine - and wine at very affordable prices. I even got to chat with the owner, in French, which made me feel even more like being in France. And then they even offered me a very delicious and rich "mousse au chocolat". After the sometime very heavy American food this was a really nice change. Merci!

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank Kluane
Marie P, Owner at Le Catalan, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Thank you and merci, we are so happy you chose us for your birthday lunch! Since we opened we like to celebrate birthdays with a complimentary Chocolate Mousse when you dine with us. Joyeuse Anniversaire ~ Happy Birthday... maybe we will see you back in town for next years too?