“Unexpected delight.”

Ranked #25 of 685 Restaurants in Wilmington
Cuisines: European, French, Mediterranean, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Wilmington's authentic French Cafe and Wine Bar established January 2001. "Wine Down" on the Riverwalk! Serving Lunch and Dinner: Soups, Salads, Quiche, Cheese, Charcuterie, Seasonal and Daily Entrees, Dessert... Famous Chocolate Mousse. Wine, Beer and Spirits. Inside/Outside dining and friendly service. Enjoy a river breeze and catch a sunset!
Rogers, Arkansas
“Unexpected delight.”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

My wife and I visited Wilmington as part of a trip to determine potential locations for retirement. We were walking along the boardwalk looking a spot to have lunch when we noticed a small cafe named the LeCatalan. On a whim, we decided to stop. The food was delightful and the service courteous, quick and low key. I had the cassoulet special from the Chalk board specials and my wife had the classic quiche Lorraine. Both were perfect. Marie(owner) stopped by our table for a few moments of delightful conversation. We returned for the Winter Brunch on Sunday and the experience was every bit as good as our original visit. Hint: try the duck confit salad, it is a epiphany.

To sum, Le Catalan is a great place to eat, with great views, ambience and food combined with superb management.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank JOHN R
Marie P, Owner at Le Catalan, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Looks like the duck confit salad maybe a new favorite...I remember when Pierre first told me about this menu item I was a little hesitant until I tried it! So glad you enjoyed it also. And being slightly partial, we hope you find your retirment home here in Wilmington, if not its a great place to visit?
Marie

Maxton, North Carolina
“Never order the specials”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I drove 100 miles so my friend could enjoy her birthday dinner at this restaurant. The location is superb, the staff friendly and courteous, the wine selection very good. It being a special occasion we ordered from the specials of the evening menu. The Gazpacho soup was very good, and hot. My friend had the Zucchini & Artisanal Sausage ($18), which she said was very good, but obviously has been pre-prepared and microwaved. I had the Crab and Penne Gratin ($18) which was obviously warmed over mac & cheese. If there was any crab it was hidden. We mentioned it, but I didn’t wish to ruin her evening by raising a fuss. It was one of those “if I can swallow it, I can pass it” kind of moments. Next visit, if there is one, we will know to stick to the regular menu or have a salad.

• Visited October 2012
Marie P, Owner at Le Catalan, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
We are absoulutely sorry that you have not been satisfied for that occasion. Although we understand, we deeply regret that you didn't call the manager on duty to change your entree choice. As you can imagine, I was alarmed to hear about the Crab & Penne, our most popular summer gratin and the Zucchini & Artisanal Sausage recently featured w/Bob Garner-NC Weekend. These dishes are prepared in house, w/quality ingrediants and baked in the oven when ordered. Obviously, yours was not up to standard and once again appologize.
I do hope you mentioned to our wait staff it was her birthday to receive our complimentary birthday Chocolate Mousse? And, I do hope you will have an opportunity to re-visit Le Catalan.
Sincerely, Marie
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
“Lovely Afternoon”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

This small restaurant is always a fun stop. Great food, good wine list, pleasant location with a river view. The food is imaginative, fresh and well-prepared. One of our favorite spots.

Visited September 2012
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Favorite downtown spot anytime of year”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

My friend and I have dined at Le Catalan in the winter, spring, summer and fall. Le Catalan is our "go to" place whenever we want to enjoy excellent food, great wine and a cozy, intimate setting. The place is not large, but it's location right on the downtown waterfront gives one the feeling of being in a little European bistro. The waitstaff is attentive and knowledgeable; when I have asked about wine suggestions they are happy to bring a small sample to try.

There is a limited fixed menu, but we usually go with the specials and have always been pleased with the special of the day. On the fixed menu, the flaky, flavorful quiche is always delightful. The portions are just right; they are European-sized portions (translation: no super-size, more than you need American portions) but since the food is very rich the portions are very filling. Suggestions: Try any of the daily specials, ask the wait staff to recommend a wine, then sit back and enjoy a true European bistro experience without having to leave the U.S.

• Visited September 2012
Marie P, Owner at Le Catalan, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Thank you, what a lovely summary of Le Catalan. I couldn't agree with you more...instead of the Seine we have "Le Cape Fear" w/sunny weather and sunsets a plus!
Loveland, CO
“Perfect spot”
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Had a great late lunch Le Catalan today. The food was excellent (Quiche Lorraine and Crab Salad), the chef here really has it going on. Don't miss it; it's an ideal place to grab a bite and a nice glass of wine. Excellent service, excellent food, all in a beautiful setting on a gorgeous afternoon. Who could ask for anything more? Highly recommended!

• Visited September 2012