“Great specimens, poor condition” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 108 things to do in Wilmington
Type: Other
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Great specimens, poor condition”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

The snakes and other reptiles are some of the biggest and best I've seen at any reptile house, zoo, or aquarium. They feed the animals Saturdays and Sundays at noon. It's really cool to watch but a bit freaky because the handlers are easily within striking distance of snakes like King Cobras and Black Mambas. The building is in poor shape and the exhibits, while large could use some cleaning. I'm not convinced they're taking great care of the snakes.

1 Thank Trexxor

Hubert, North Carolina
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Good displays, horrible safety and smells.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

We went as 3 families with children ranging in ages from a newborn to a 9 year old. The children loved the displays but the adults were less than enthused. The smell in the place was terrible and it was extremely dirty. To top it off, the employees would just open a display without warning and were very lackadaisical about safety. Even though the children loved it, We will not be going back.

2 Thank MattRoss2171
Fredericksburg, Virginia
207 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 223 helpful votes
“superb, best ever habitats for serpents”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2014

it is obvious these folks really care for their reptiles, will never see a better place, always a favorite of my daughter's

Visited March 2014
Johnson City, Tennessee
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Kids loved it, adults had some concerns”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

We got there at feeding time (3pm) which I highly recommend. They were active the whole time we were there. My kids loved it but there were some hygiene concerns, the feeding poles they use (with raw chicken and other dead animal juices) are placed on the carpeted floor, which my children would sit on while they sat in front of the exhibits. And because I was paying attention to my kids I didn't have a chance to pay attention to the "mural" on the wall...but from the small amount I absorbed, I'm sure I should be horrified to have financially supported whatever the cause was. The exhibits are small but the specimens are some of the largest and most impressive I've seen in any reptile exhibit.

Visited January 2014
3 Thank BeknBri
Cary, North Carolina
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Great Surprise!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

Went with my family including parent in a wheelchair. It was easily accessible, a big plus. Didn't know what to expect, but we were there at feeding time and got to watch several snakes get fed. It was done safely and with much showmanship. The information about the snakes and alligators was fascinating and there were a myriad of different species for viewing. I actually got to feed an alligator! I felt very safe, but was still shocked when the alligator grabbed the food off the pole I was holding. What an experience! I didn't know what to expect at a serpentarium and was exceedingly pleased with the visit. An entertaining and educational afternoon.

Visited February 2013