“Fun place every time” 4 of 5 bubbles

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Fun place every time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2011

This was our second time visiting the serpentarium because it is a favorite, very interesting place. They have so many animals that I hope to never run into anywhere but here from mambas to maneating crocodiles. I was sad to see some displays were empty (recession I guess) and it was hot (wish the a/c was working better). They added some fun birds to the entrance and some turtles, which we enjoyed as an added plus. Sad to see the building is in some major need of repair (again, recession) but the price to this great place to see is very reasonably priced at $8 per person, $7 for seniors.

Visited June 2011

chicago
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“WHOA. This place is awesome!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2011

Not the kind of place I'd usually opt for but we ended up standing in front of us and the beautiful parrots in the foyer lured us in, and my husband likes snakes so we went in. Impressive collection of very rare snakes in really incredible displays. I was told that the nearby movie studio set designers assisted in that. This place also seems to specialize in really, really dangerous snakes! The informational panels were impressively descriptive and well-written. I guess the guy who started this place is a big-time herpetologist. If you happen by, check it out.

Visited April 2011
1 Thank onthewing
Washington DC
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Impressive collection of snakes”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2010

Our four-year old son is fascinated with snakes and loved this place. We were not expecting much, but this place was amazing. They write interesting (if macabre) descriptions of the snakes and how deadly they can be. The assortment of snakes was very impressive, enough to interest even those who aren't into snakes. The habitats seemed appropriate in size and natural terrain, better even than I've seen at many zoos. It isn't huge but is a nice way to spend a couple hours out of the sun. It didn't seem dirty and the only smelly area was the foyer area where the birds are. This ended up being my son's favorite part of the trip and he still goes on and on about the pythons and the mambas and the crocodile etc..

3 Thank heatherweh
Raleigh, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“Wouldn't do again”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2010

Nice selection of snakes, but no price break for kids, and the place was really dirty. The worst part, and I kid you not, I found a syringe with the needle intact just laying on top of a lizard exhibit. Any kid could have picked it up and become seriously injured. I immediately took it to the guy sleeping at the front desk who simply replied, "oh thanks." No reaction like, "oh my gosh, where did that come from?!?" or "thank you for bring this to me - we'll look into this." Just, "oh, thanks." He seemed really worried about it (not). My wife and I were trying to figure out why there'd even be a syringe laying around???

Again, the selection of snakes was really good for the size of the place, but for the money, I would have expected to see more. Totem In Zoo is a bigger bang for your buck.

5 Thank RaleighMan
Orange County, NC
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Fascinating! (But not for the squeamish...)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2010

First , let me say I'm neutral on the subject of snakes. I don't find them terrifying like many of my gender do, but have no urge to hold one either. However, we visit Wimington fairly often, and I've always wanted to go to the Serpentarium just because it seemed different and potentially interesting. We ended up going on a rainy day in January and were glad we chose to spend almost two hours of our weekend there. We got to the facility as soon as it opened and were fortunate enough to see them moving a reticulated python back into her enclosure. She wasn't happy and was restless the whole time we were there--crawling all over the place, reaching up to climb on the lights at the top of the habitat, etc... It was fascinating to see how she moved, since snakes I've seen in other exhibits are usually just lying still. The many descriptions and pictures of what happens when the venomous snakes bite left nothing to the imagination--maybe I'm morbid, but I found it very interesting. (Made me appreciate that the copperhead was the worst we have to worry about where I live!) The habitats were attractive, and there were plenty of different species. I'm a little worried about their funding--there were a couple of ceiling drips--but that was the only negative. Plan to spend awhile--you don't get the full effect without reading about each snake and the havok they can wreak!

4 Thank weluvbbs