“Great dinner; great atmosphere.”
Review of Caprice Bistro

Caprice Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Caprice Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 698 Restaurants in Wilmington
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Water St.
Description: French bistro style with a Belgian twist.
Reviewed April 22, 2013

This is a very nice restaurant and the food is really, really good! It is a very small, intimate restaurant with a cozy feel. The serivce was very good but not pretentious and the prices were very reasonable. I had the lamb shank; SO GOOD with a caprese salad as a first course. The tomatoes tasted like they were from my garden; delicious! Hubby had the trout almandine; very, very good (not as good as mine!). Dessert was a trio of chocolate mousse which was amazing; coffee was great too. All in all, a great experience and I highly recommend Caprice Bistro.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

There is a lovely little French bistro in downtown Wilmington, just a block from the Cape Fear River. My husband made a reservation for our Saturday night dinner, and we were very thankful that we did as Caprice Bistro is a small restaurant. We were given a choice of the upstairs (more of bar area) or the intimated downstairs. It was an easy choice as we chose a table for two on the ground floor.
The two of us chose this restaurant due to the numerous great reviews and of our fond memories of eating at numerous bistros in France. The restaurant is romantically lit, including tea candles on the tables. Everyone appeared to be having a good time. So many people seemed to be enjoying their meals that hearing one another was extremely difficult. It was so loud in Caprice Bistro that our entire time there was spent leaning over the table to be heard. This was a huge negative to our dining experience. Most restaurants that we have eaten at in Paris, Bordeaux, Brive la Gaillarde, etc. had patrons that were not talking loudly.
We started off our dinner with some good Blanc de Blanc Champagne. It was good way to start our dinner. Pommes frites with homemade mayonnaise was on the menu thus we had to have some of those. Their crisp potatoes with mayonnaise on the side reminded us of all those delicious pommes frites we had in France, Belgium and Netherlands. My husband almost, exclaimed, “Merci beaucoup pour les pommes frites!”
My husband ended up with the seared salmon with their charmoula vinaigrette. The encrusted salmon was fresh, and the vinaigrette complimented it perfectly. It appeared there was some sort of risotto that accompanied the fish, along with some cooked vegetables. The vegetables were so-so. Since I was not as hungry as my husband, I ordered their French soup with Gruyère. It was some of the best French soup I have had. The soup seemed to be one of the most popular items on the menu as numerous patrons around us had ordered it. My dinner also included their Salad “Meli Melo” – mesclun (a salad mix of assorted small, young salad leaves which originate in Provence, France) with a Dijon vinaigrette and a goat cheese crustini.
Due to the loud atmosphere, we skipped the dessert. We both wanted some crème brûlée, but the noise drove us out. Our so-so service didn’t help, either. Though we enjoyed our food, the next time we are in Wilmington, we may opt to look elsewhere.

1  Thank MagyarNC
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I ordered the steak and my wife ordered the lamb. The waiter brought out two lambs then took both plates back to the kitchen when the mistake was noticed. A good while later the waiter returned with the correct order. My Wife's lamb was delicious while my steak was bland and under cooked. Bottom line, I feel the kitchen rushed the steak out while the lamb sat in the window. I should have asked the waiter what he recommended before I ordered. Should we return, I would recommend ordering one the house specialities. The seafood casserole or the lamb.

1  Thank Kathy B
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Four of us each tried something different. Everyone's food was excellent. It was a very unique place to dine. We were seated on the second floor overlooking the street.Really nice especially since it was the Azalea Festival and we could watch the people walking in the streets. Food was very good and well presented. Desserts were excellent too.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

We stopped in for an early dinner this past week based on the TA reviews, and were not disappointed. The waitress was very personable. She gave good explanations regarding the wines and menu selections we inquired about rather extensively, particularly since the menu offers so many choices. The ambience is warm and comfortable, and with the wall of mirrors above the banquet seating along the downstairs dining room, along with the white paper covering the tables, it was easy to make believe you were in a Paris bistro with the pleasant cooking aromas whetting your appetite. The food complemented the atmosphere: steak frites, salmon crusted with pistachio, and spinach/cheese crepes. For dessert, we shared an order of profiteroles -- small pastry shells with vanilla ice cream and warm chocolate topping, a nice way to finish our dinner. Based on our visit, we can readily understand why this bistro is at the top of the Wilmington dining scene.