“Don't visit on whim...”
Review of Caprice Bistro

Caprice Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Caprice Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 685 Restaurants in Wilmington
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Water St.
Description: French bistro style with a Belgian twist.
North Carolina
“Don't visit on whim...”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

make it a point to dine at Caprice Bistro!

I'm so glad I passed by and noticed this little gem while out walking in Wilmington. When I got back to my room I immediately checked TA for reviews and after reading several knew I had to check it out. I can only assume that Kilwin's outranks it because most TA reviewers favor sweets over entire meals.

Believe every positive review you read on TA about Caprice, and then some. What a find!! There was only one very minor issue that I encountered which was that my (young) waitress did not keep my wine glass filled. Maybe it's a restaurant policy, but I doubt it. Even so, don't be afraid to have Mary Claire as your waitress. She was friendly, courteous, professional and didn't attempt to hide her lack of knowledge about a Sauternes with wine generalities.

I had the nightly special, all around - cream of mushroom soup and Boeuf Bourguignon - paired with a 2009 Domaine Durieu Cotes d' Rhone Villages Plan de Deu. What a masterful pairing if I do say so myself. (Thank you Natalie McLean, an iphone app that assists with food/wine pairings. I'm not embarrassed to say I need assistance at times.)

The cream of mushroom soup was fresh, full of a rich, earthy flavor and the perfect segue into the main entree. I have to give the bread baker ample credit also. The french baguette was nicely textured with great crumb/crust balance. Obviously done by a profesional with many years of experience.

The Boeuf Bourguignon was exquisite. The deep plate in which it was served had been amply heated in the oven before the entree was plated and served. It stayed hot the entire time I enjoyed it. Great, rich flavors - nothing subtle about this dish at all and the Cotes d' Rhone whipped it into a frenzy on your palette. What an enjoyable appetizer and meal.

Before I finished my entree, I asked Mary Claire about desserts. I was immediately drawn to the creme brulee infused with sweet potato. Great choice again on my part and I paired it with a glass of Sauternes (can't remember the vintage/vintner I'm afraid). This dessert perfectly complemented the entree and made the entire evening a fantastic expression of the chef's abilities and France's great contribution to the culinary arts.

If you are in Wilmington for a day, a night or several nights, you owe it to yourself to dine at the Caprice Bistro near the waterfront. It's a delightful little place with great ambience, service and food. I'll be visiting again soon!

On this issue of value, my entire bill came to less than $80 including a bottle of the Cotes d' Rhone. Can't ask for better in my opinion.

• Visited October 2012

Wilmington, NC
“A Wilmington Favorite”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Caprice remains one of my favorite places in town, and definitely in the downtown area. I've been dozens of times and have thoroughly enjoyed it each and every time. I've never dined in the downstairs area, but instead have retreated upstairs to the martini lounge and dining area. I've enjoyed many meals, but often just stop in for a beverage, which are always made to perfection, exactly as requested. Alongside beverages, I love to get the Pommes Frites which come with the homemade mayonnaise.
When enjoying dinner, I love any of the crepes or salads. When I've brought friends and family along, they've always thoroughly enjoyed any of the dishes featuring mussels. Jay and Chris are wonderful servers, and I always enjoy the bar atmosphere with Darren or Shelly working.
Also, Caprice frequently features artwork from local artists on display to enjoy while you're eating. It's definitely worth taking a look. The atmosphere is exquisite and warm, and I always feel comfortable and "at home" when I'm there.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank JF C
“Great restaurant-- but watch out for one terrible server!”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

My first time at Caprice was fantastic -- great food, great service, great time. The second time back, our sever nearly ruined the meal. He didn't take our drink or app. order until he came to take our dinner order. Basically just ignored us until he felt like working. We had empty drinks for half of dinner even though when I looked for him he was standing against the wall or chatting with the hostess. I wish I knew his name so we could request a different server in the future, but I don't know if we will go back to Caprice based on this experience.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Akg6462
Barre, Vermont, United States
“Stands out in a town of great restaurants.”
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Cute restaurant on Market St near riverfront. Great atmosphere. Wonderful food. Server, jay, was fantastic, very personable and knowledgable.

2 Thank Kevmcnamara
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Wonderful experience”
Reviewed September 22, 2012

A small, intimate atmosphere in the heart of Wilmington. Food and service is always excellent. I usually have the fish and am never disappointed. Try the many excellent martinis in the sofa bar upstairs. You can stroll down to the waterfront after dinner and enjoy the lovely river walk along the Cape Fear. Great evening for all around.

• Visited March 2012