Port City Guest House
Good 3.5/5
  • Fitness center
The Carolinian Inn(Wilmington)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsown bathroomwonderful hospitalityb bhome away from homespent two nightsfront porchsophiedowntown
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 30, 2012

This B & B offers a tremendous deal considering the mega breakfasts and afternoon/eve drinks and snacks, all part of the deal.

The owner and host, Sophie, offers a lovely character Southern home with veranda and gardens in a quiet but good location just a short drive to Wilmington's riverside attractions. It is also easy to drive to the beaches or link up to the I-40.

Our room was large and spacious with its own bathroom. There was plenty of room to park our car at the back and Sophie was eager to help in every way. Guest facilities include laundry, communal microwave and fridge.

In the huge downstairs salon, at the large dining table, complimentary afternoon drinks, from tea to wine and beer, were available along with snacks such as excellent cheese and crackers and home-made salmon patties with a rich sauce.

In the morning classical music soothed the gathering for breakfast with the table laden with fresh fruits, fat free Greek yoghurt, preserves and jams, coffee and infusions. But each day she also prepares a huge cooked breakfast which can include treats such as large waffles, superb light cheese grits, perfectly prepared eggs, bacon, sausage and buttered toast.

She loves chatting to her guests and helped us all get to know something of each other and relax in the comfort of her large well preserved home. Rather like joining an upscale house party.

We would certainly stay here again and will recommend the Port City Guest House to anyone heading for Wilmington.

Room Tip: Only one room has a bathroom but each of the other rooms is assigned its own bathroom very close by.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 29, 2012

My husband and I stayed here on the tail end of our honeymoon. Sophie made us feel at home from the second we arrived. We showed up several hours before check in and expected to only be allowed to drop our bags off but she allowed us to fully check in! She gave us the full tour, offered us breakfast, then sat and chatted with us for a good hour. Our room was spacious and comfy...never too hot or too cold (despite the humidity outside). Whenever we came or went, Sophie would insist we grab snacks or a cold drink. At 3 pm everyday she puts out a wide spread of goodies and we had a great time chatting with the other guests on the front torch in the hot afternoons. The Inn is only a short drive (4 mins) from the town centre. We spent a day in Kure Beach also and it was nice to come back and be able to do our laundry. We highly recommend this Inn to couples or singles, it was heavenly. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed April 30, 2012

This was by far, the best experience I have ever had at a B&B! Mrs. Sophie was like a mother to me! She doted on me, fed me the best food ever...and even welcomed my coker spaniel "Daisy" like she was part of the family. I loved the beautiful decor in the B&B and enjoyed my stay in Wilmington! I will definately be a repeat customer! Thanks to Mrs. Sophie for a fabulous weekend getaway!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 28, 2011

My husband and I have been to many bed and breakfasts across the southeast, and I have never felt compelled to write a review (bad or good) until my recent stay at the Port City Guest House in Wilmington. We were in town for a wedding and struggling to find a decent hotel that wasn’t super expensive when I came across this B&B. The reviews online were so good, I knew we had to give it a try. We were not disappointed. I was so impressed with the whole experience that it actually prompted me to write my first ever review.

From the second we walked in the door, Sophie made us feel right at home and went above and beyond the entire weekend to make sure we were 100% happy. On the first night, social hour turned into social evening as Sophie continued to bring out more and more goodies because all of the guests were having such a good time getting to know one another. We never made it to dinner because we were so full with all of the wonder treats!!! Breakfast was more of the same. The food was incredible and it just kept coming. Sophie wasn’t happy until we were sufficiently stuffed and rolling back to our room. She is a hoot!

On top of the service, which was beyond anything I would have expected, the B&B itself was great. Great location, fantastic overall house and very nice guest rooms. If you are going to Wilmington, you must stay here!

Room Tip: Try the green room!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 27, 2011

The thing that makes this B&B the best by far is Sophie. My friend and I were on a road trip to 20 states. Wilmington was amazing and Sophies B&B was by far the best place we stayed. It is like a slice of paradise. Sophie's home is huge and beautiful. The rooms are amazing with very comfy beds. The house is very traditional and just overall spectacular. When you come here you feel at home. The breakfast was fabulous and Sophies company and conversation made it even better. She is the epitome of hospitality. She offered snacks and tea and kept trying to feed us. Her dog Jake was great and it felt like he was part of the family. Our trip to Wilmington was unforgettable and no doubt it was because of Sophie. You are crazy if you do not chose this place!

Room Tip: Every room is awesome!
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends