“Wonderful!”

Port City Guest House
Ranked #13 of 17 Wilmington B&B and Inns
“Wonderful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2012

My husband and I stayed here on the tail end of our honeymoon. Sophie made us feel at home from the second we arrived. We showed up several hours before check in and expected to only be allowed to drop our bags off but she allowed us to fully check in! She gave us the full tour, offered us breakfast, then sat and chatted with us for a good hour. Our room was spacious and comfy...never too hot or too cold (despite the humidity outside). Whenever we came or went, Sophie would insist we grab snacks or a cold drink. At 3 pm everyday she puts out a wide spread of goodies and we had a great time chatting with the other guests on the front torch in the hot afternoons. The Inn is only a short drive (4 mins) from the town centre. We spent a day in Kure Beach also and it was nice to come back and be able to do our laundry. We highly recommend this Inn to couples or singles, it was heavenly. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed June 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Florence, South Carolina, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2012

This was by far, the best experience I have ever had at a B&B! Mrs. Sophie was like a mother to me! She doted on me, fed me the best food ever...and even welcomed my coker spaniel "Daisy" like she was part of the family. I loved the beautiful decor in the B&B and enjoyed my stay in Wilmington! I will definately be a repeat customer! Thanks to Mrs. Sophie for a fabulous weekend getaway!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Charlotte
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2011

My husband and I have been to many bed and breakfasts across the southeast, and I have never felt compelled to write a review (bad or good) until my recent stay at the Port City Guest House in Wilmington. We were in town for a wedding and struggling to find a decent hotel that wasn’t super expensive when I came across this B&B. The reviews online were so good, I knew we had to give it a try. We were not disappointed. I was so impressed with the whole experience that it actually prompted me to write my first ever review.

From the second we walked in the door, Sophie made us feel right at home and went above and beyond the entire weekend to make sure we were 100% happy. On the first night, social hour turned into social evening as Sophie continued to bring out more and more goodies because all of the guests were having such a good time getting to know one another. We never made it to dinner because we were so full with all of the wonder treats!!! Breakfast was more of the same. The food was incredible and it just kept coming. Sophie wasn’t happy until we were sufficiently stuffed and rolling back to our room. She is a hoot!

On top of the service, which was beyond anything I would have expected, the B&B itself was great. Great location, fantastic overall house and very nice guest rooms. If you are going to Wilmington, you must stay here!

Room Tip: Try the green room!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Hamilton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2011

The thing that makes this B&B the best by far is Sophie. My friend and I were on a road trip to 20 states. Wilmington was amazing and Sophies B&B was by far the best place we stayed. It is like a slice of paradise. Sophie's home is huge and beautiful. The rooms are amazing with very comfy beds. The house is very traditional and just overall spectacular. When you come here you feel at home. The breakfast was fabulous and Sophies company and conversation made it even better. She is the epitome of hospitality. She offered snacks and tea and kept trying to feed us. Her dog Jake was great and it felt like he was part of the family. Our trip to Wilmington was unforgettable and no doubt it was because of Sophie. You are crazy if you do not chose this place!

Room Tip: Every room is awesome!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Philadelphia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2010

This B and B was in the heart of the Mansion District and in a great location to explore Wilmington and beyond. Sophie, the owner and innkeeper, could not do enough for us...she is the epitome of southern hospitality. We eat heart healthy and Sophie accomodated us royally...plus her treats and afternoon "tea" were very welcoming...she could not do enough for us....the rooms were very ample and some have a shared bath. Our room had the private bath and it was very roomy. The house was tastefully decorated and made us feel "right at home....cozy!"

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Utrecht
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2010

The welcome in this 'bed and breakfast' inn was like a warm bath. Sophie gave us (family with a daughter of 16) an overwhelming array of drinks, sweets, fruits and other things. The rest of our stay (3 nights) were a true example of southern hospitality. Sophie was available whenever we needed her and she was discrete and caring. She gave us, fairytale-like rooms with all the modern comfort you need when there is a heat wave going on. The beds were very comfortable. We could use a microwave and a washing-machine. We are very grateful we found this lovely bed and breakfast. Sophie has a dog, Jake, who is greatly recommended by our daughter. We can surely recommend this B&B to everyone. The more, where the city of Wilmington is a hidden gem itself.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
greensboro nc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2010

This is probably THE most beautiful B&B i have ever stayed in. The house was huge, very clean, and beautifully decorated. Sophie, the owner was PERFECT....such a gracious lady. Would recommend this B&B to ANYONE visiting Wilmington.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple