“Ramanda 1st vacation” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ramada Wilmington

Ramada Wilmington
Ranked #42 of 45 Hotels in Wilmington

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Cary, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014

We were aware of the reviews for this hotel prior to booking but were only staying one night prior to a fishing trip the following day. Both staff members that assisted us(check in/check out) were pleasant and professional. It is the first hotel I've ever stayed in(I'm 62) that had a glassed-in front reception desk! Makes you wonder a little bit base on previous reviews. As stated in previous reviews, this is a very worn hotel in need of a major "fine tuning" if the parent company has any interest in doing that. The room and bathroom were tolerably clean and the bed had clean sheets. That's about as complimentary as I can be. We had to leave prior to breakfast so am not able to comment on that.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
      Location
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
4 Thank Virgil S
Wilmington, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

I booked a room at this hotel for one night so that I could go to job interviews in the area. The price was right when I booked online so I went through with it. When my fiance and I pulled into the parking lot at roughly 3 pm on Monday, we could immediately tell that we had made a mistake. There were numerous shady characters hanging around the parking lot and around the front door of the hotel. We considered finding another place to stay but we had already passed the cancellation period and didn't want to be charged for a night in this place if we weren't going to be there. Upon entering the front door a smell of mildew and smoke greeted us. We trudged up some nasty carpeted stairs to our hallway and found our room. When we opened the door...the smell! It smelled like an ancient tomb not opened for at least 1000 years. There were broken fixtures, the furniture was disgusting and damp and the AC unit didn't work. We had to keep our curtains drawn at ALL times due to the shady characters hanging around in the parking lot directly outside our window. The free wi-fi did not work. We had to plug in our mini-fridge and when we did, it smelled like rot. I would NEVER recommend this damp, smelly dungeon to anyone. The best part of our stay was checking out.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank BooneRN
Wilmington, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

Booked this for one night for myself, wife and 2.5 year old. I trusted in the once stellar Ramada name and I made the mistake of not looking at reviews here first. Hotel is out-dated and has a "damp and dark feel" inside. Carpets and aged wood are grimey and reek of stains and bad decisions. The acrylic window at check-in brings a nice "7-11 at 3am robbery" kind-of-feel. Trash abounds behind furniture, drink machines and ice machines.

My wife said she felt sand inside the "clean sheets" of the bed. Hair from previous guests littered the shower and toilet was filthy. We were afraid to walk bare-foot on the carpets. Here's the real kicker: returned with my exhausted family to room 133 at 1230am, crying baby, ill wife, etc only to be locked out of our room! Attendant tried three times to get us inside with new programmed keys and then hotel master key to no avail. A locksmith had to be called to prye the door open! Apparently, this had happened before and seemed like normal business to Ramada. We finally got in at 140am to our room and had to be moved to a new room since the door would no longer lock.

Sleep finally came at 2am, one hour and a half after we returned to the hotel! I was assured corrective action would be taken at checkout the next day. At the end of it all, Ramada offered an insulting 20% discount, which amounted to $21 for all of our troubles. When I scoffed at that, the attendent asked rudely "Well, what do you want?" To which I responded: "I wanted to get my family in our room I booked at 1230am when we returned."

I told them to keep the $21 as they needed it towards updates! Absolutely terrible. You'd be better sleeping in a truckstop!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
      Rooms
2 Thank JamesWestPotter
Cary, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014

First of all I will never go back there again!! You have drug dealers, hookers, and all slim bags hanging around there. My family and I pulled up too check in and what we see is a hooker waving her nastiness around in front of my husband and kids.... Then the room was so gross. Under neath the bathroom sink you have roach eggs, beds where broken, plus the pool is broken. Front desk service was a joke. You had water on top of the microwave may been a leak from the other room above,carpets was gross told the kids too put their shoes back on and not too touch anything. Had these strang people hanging around the cars and all. Needless too say we did stay there for like 20 mins got our money back ASAP and packed the car up and found another hotel way better then there.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
      Location
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank Dnice37
Manteo, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

I made the mistake of booking this motel without reading the tripadvisor reviews. If I was staying more than one night I would have canceled and found another motel. The place was old and dirty, from the rooms to the grounds. The clientele was shady to say the least. I thought a Ramada Inn would be nicer!!! Stay away !!!!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family