“Great Way to Celebrate a Birthday or any other special occasion!”
Review of Henrietta III

Henrietta III
Ranked #42 of 122 things to do in Wilmington
More attraction details
Owner description: Cruise the Cape Fear River in style on this elegant riverboat that offers narrated sightseeing tours, lunch and dinner cruises and romantic moonlight trips.
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We celebrated my father in law's 49th birthday aboard the Henrietta III on one of their Saturday Dinner Dance cruises. There were 6 of us total, all couples. We had an awesome table reserved to ourselves near the DJ table and dance area. The view from our table (and any other table for that matter) was beautiful! I have lived in Wilmington for 6 years and have never had the opportunity to board this cruise boat. This was a first time experience in traveling North on the Cape Fear River. What a sight to see! The food was INCREDIBLE, a true southern experience consisting of prime rib, awesome baked chicken, rice, steamed vegetables, salad, rolls, etc. My whole family was very impressed with the quality of the food aboard the boat. Though there was an open cash bar, our server handled most of our drink orders and did so in a prompt fashion and did not have us waiting long. After dinner ended, the 6 of us went to the upper deck to enjoy the views and spend time with eachother. I am sure there was music and dancing going on on the lower decks , but we took some time to ourselves and just enjoyed eachother. Everyone raved about the great experience, and I would highly recommend this for anyone wanting a unique dining experience. It's one you'll never forget! Thank you Captain and Crew for an awesome Saturday night!

2  Thank NC387Manager
in 13 reviews
in 12 reviews
in 5 reviews

Reviewed August 27, 2012

Took a cruise on the larger boat, Henrietta III. Not a "real" steam paddle-wheeler, but a modern boat retrofitted to look like a padde-wheel. Debated using a different river cruise company, but have no regrets as we enjoyed the vista being on the larger, higher boat. Unlike others who have written reviews, we were never told that we might be placed on a smaller boat, so that was not a problem. Arrived at 2 pm for boarding and, as expected, has to wait almost until launch time to board. Very slow day, few patrons, maybe that's why. Nice covered waiting area with plenty of tables and chairs and bathrooms, right on the docks, so the wait was pleasant enough. Boarded and made our way to the upper level. Did not go inside, so can't comment on that, though it appeared spacious and comfortable. Several shaded outdoor seating areas, though I'm not sure if everyone could have shade outdoors if the boat was packed (white paint, metal decks, so heat could be a concern on a hot day). The narration mostly covered what we were seeing on the banks as we passed i.e. what each building was used for, a few facts about the port of Wilmington etc. Not too enlightening, and delivered in a monotone, but since I knew nothing about the area at the beginning, I learned something. Would have enjoyed more history or stories of the area. Great, close-up views of the port and container ships being loaded, which will appeal to any boys in your group, young of old. Ship cruises from where it is docked, out to just past the port, turns, and returns, so you see the same sights twice. The narrator ends his spiel about halfway out, then just plays New Orleans jazz on the speakers, I guess in keeping with the "paddle wheel" theme. Overall, very fun, but could be improved in terms of the information given, and since there are cheaper options to see the harbor, I hope they work on it a bit. Crew members very friendly, and the boat was clean. Recommend it, but if price is a consideration, go with the cheaper option. Nothing too innovative or interesting, other than the larger boat and length of cruise, to warrant extra dollars.

3  Thank sati09
Reviewed August 19, 2012

clean, great food and service. we spoke with the capitan for about 20 mins. on the upper deck. very knowlagable about the area. fun trip !!!!

2  Thank david d
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Took the tour while in town for the day. Boarding was to be at 2pm for 2:30pm departure. The lady at the booth let us know that if they didn't sell enough tickets, it would be cancelled and we'd be put in the smaller boat and refunded the difference. I should've taken that as a warning. We boarded past 2:30pm and the tour was not what I expected. They talked briefly about the history along the riverbed, a bit about the houses, mills and carrier, about the tugboats and big cargo ship. I was over it after the first 15 minutes of the 1.5 hr tour. It was hot that day so we tried to cool off in the dining room which smelled old & musky. I personally didn't enjoy it but my 7 year old son liked that we got to ride on a riverboat. It has lots of potential if they could restore or renovate it, add more about the Wilmington history and maybe offer more areas to cool off. In hindsight, we should have just taken the little boat tour for $5 and saved some cash.

3  Thank Ohana04