“A nice wandering away...”

Battleship NORTH CAROLINA
Ranked #1 of 119 things to do in Wilmington
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: As you walk the decks of the NORTH CAROLINA, imagine yourself in the South Pacific during WWII searching the sky for enemy aircraft, anticipating what may happen next. Step aboard the most decorated US Battleship of WWII! Explore nine decks, crew's quarters, gun turrets, and much more. Discover where history comes alive. Located at the junctions of highways 17, 76, 74, 421 on the Cape Fear River across from historic downtown Wilmington. Open every day!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed January 11, 2014

We had a family get-together in Atlantic Beach, and on the way driving there, took a wrong turn and nearly got lost. We noticed that the ship was on our' new reroute and decided to see what this was all about. I'm glad we did. For a very inexpensive fee, we got to explore an amazing craft of history. We didn't have very much time to walk around a whole lot, so I didn't get to go through the hull or on a tour, but I did get to sit behind one of many impressive gun turrets. Just the scope of the ship, it's huge. And very well-kept on top. It's history of success during WWII is documented through the banners and flags which it displays proudly on the ship. I do have some qualms or advice. I'm 6'1" and found myself ducking almost everywhere we went. Apparently, I'm an amazon! Also to watch out for are the stairs. They're quite small and steep, so use them carefully. The gift shop had a large selection of cool stuff, but was a bit pricey. But, other than that a really cool little bit of sidetracking!

1  Thank bigredspx

Reviewed January 7, 2014

This is a must for everyone - There are few places where you can step onto an American Battleship that saw many engagements in World War II and what it was like for the men to live on and serve during war time. It takes one's breath away to envision what grit and courage it took to live on it much less serve and fight in battle. you have to see the Battleship North Carolina. It is like going back in time. I particularly enjoyed touring the living areas on ship, the galley, medical and dental clinics, post office and seeing the ice cream machine. What an awesome experience to go on this mighty ship. This is a must see..

Reviewed January 4, 2014

I enjoyed learning about life on the ship. Even thought it's a self tour, there's so much to see. At the end of the tour, we were accosted by a man trying to sell us his book about ghosts on the ship, which made us even more tired.

Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

We had a terrific view of the USS North Carolina from our 8th floor hotel room at the Hilton and, having just been to the USS Yorktown in Charleston, SC, my husband was looking forward to seeing this majestic ship up close and personal. The self-guided tour was easy to navigate on our leisure and before we knew it, 4 solid hours had passed! There were many areas aboard ship that were quite accessible to all and a lot of memorabilia from the men who served very proudly on her. Well worth a visit if you're in town.

1  Thank twisteddiva
Reviewed January 2, 2014

The self-guided tour of the ship is well marked, with placards that clearly explained the significance of each area, and with interesting excerpts from letters and diaries of crew members relating their experiences on the ship. A worthwhile stop.