“Good fun for kids - lots of climbing”

Battleship NORTH CAROLINA
Ranked #1 of 121 things to do in Wilmington
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: As you walk the decks of the NORTH CAROLINA, imagine yourself in the South Pacific during WWII searching the sky for enemy aircraft, anticipating what may happen next. Step aboard the most decorated US Battleship of WWII! Explore nine decks, crew's quarters, gun turrets, and much more. Discover where history comes alive. Located at the junctions of highways 17, 76, 74, 421 on the Cape Fear River across from historic downtown Wilmington. Open every day!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed October 1, 2013

We went on the battleship North Carolina with our two young sons. They say that it is a two hour self-guided tour but we did it in about one hour. You need to be able to climb lots of ladders to do the tour as you have to go several decks up and down. You get to see all over the ship - guns, engine room, mess room, etc. There's no air-conditioning so it can get hot in summer but they do have fans to cool the ship down a bit. Our kids enjoyed it.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,883)

Reviewed October 1, 2013

The battleship is a awsome vessel. It was value for money for the museum and the ship itself. I have served on merchant ships before and advised other visitors of how best to go up and down ladders {facing the steps}. A notice giving some advice would have been useful. I was also explaining to my son about high and low pressure steam engines, sounding tubes and found I had an audience of other visitors. So perhaps som more information on the day to day activity around the ship may be useful.
It was a fantastic experience and I would recommend it to anyone visiting the area. DO NOT wear shoes with heels!
The caferteria was all machines and very limited, and the gift shop also had a limited range of sizes in T-shirts.

1  Thank William W
Reviewed September 30, 2013

My father was in the navy and served on a similar ship so he was more than excited to tour the ship. One of the volunteers was nice enough to shoe us his quarters and some really neat things we wouldn't have noticed otherwise. At first I was really into it, until I was about 3 decks down and I'm not sure exactly what it was...the stuffy air, the close quarters, the fact I had no idea how to get out to open air....I felt like I was going to pass out. I am not an anxious person nor have I ever had problem previously. This is by no means the fault of anyone, if you don't like tight spaces definitely skip the lower decks. Otherwise, everything else was great!

1  Thank Jenny B
Reviewed September 30, 2013

This is a self guided tour, it involves a lot of walking and climbing stairs. Provides a wonderful opportunity for non-military to see what life is like on a ship such as the Battleship NC. Beautifully maintained.

1  Thank Cowgaldew
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Great restoration project. My husband was in the navy and he loved remembering his time on ship. We spent a solid 3 hours there but we read almost everything.
Small children and the elderly probably won't go below decks, the staircases and scuttles are challenging. Plenty to see above deck.
Was 12$ per person fee to maintain ship. Well spent