“We loved it. Some things you should know....”

Battleship NORTH CAROLINA
Ranked #1 of 119 things to do in Wilmington
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: As you walk the decks of the NORTH CAROLINA, imagine yourself in the South Pacific during WWII searching the sky for enemy aircraft, anticipating what may happen next. Step aboard the most decorated US Battleship of WWII! Explore nine decks, crew's quarters, gun turrets, and much more. Discover where history comes alive. Located at the junctions of highways 17, 76, 74, 421 on the Cape Fear River across from historic downtown Wilmington. Open every day!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed May 10, 2008

We had a great time at the USS NC. We visited May 9, 2008.

The admission was reasonable and the self-guided tour took us about 2 hours and that was moving at a very fast pace. We would have liked to stay longer but we had to get on the road to head back to Tennessee. Also, my 2 year old was throwing fits which made the tour stressful to say the least.

Some pointers....

1. I recommend going in the very early morning hours when the battleship opens for business or going in the spring/fall when it isn't very hot because the areas below deck get very hot/humid/stagnant. There are a few fans blowing here and there but it's only May and already was pretty hot. We were sweating.

2. This tour would be next to impossible for a handicapped person. The "stairs" inside the ship are more like ladders that go almost straight up and down. My 8 year old has some motor skills issues and my husband had to help her up and down. My 2 year old had to be carried up and down. The main deck would be accessible by wheelchair/stroller/etc, but not the inside of the ship.

3. There are restrooms in the welcome center, outside the gift shop, and 1 inside the ship about 1/2 way through the tour. Plan your bathroom visits especially if you have small kids with you.

We had a great time and I would have loved to stay longer and read all the information, ponder over every detail, etc. My grandfather was in WW2 in the Navy so it was VERY interesting to see what his life was like back then. It's almost eerie....you just feel like you are almost "there" with them in battle.

4  Thank jmertn

Reviewed March 24, 2008

The USS NC is a great place for history buffs and tourists alike. It has a "vibe" to it that's hard to describe. You can almost hear the massive weapons firing & orders being barked to the soldiers. It's well-rumored to be haunted & has been featured on the SciFi show Ghost Hunters. It's a very interesting place to visit. One of the biggest attractions of it are the resident alligators that live around it. They have a great gift shop with all of the expected battleship items, as well as regional books & items. Be sure to include this as a stop in your trip to Wilmington. A bit of advice, though. If visiting in the peak summer months, be sure to bathe in insect repellant upon exiting your car. The mosquitos are as vicious as the gators!

4  Thank TnKarla
Reviewed March 11, 2007

I toured the ship with my 6-year-old son in February. The weather was perfect and there were only 10 other people touring the ship the entire time we were there. Most of the time my son and I were the only ones on the ship. That was nice but also a little eerie, feeling all alone in this giant metal thing. Be prepared for lots of climbing and walking in narrow passageways and stairwells. The gift shop is great, lots of trinkets and many things for around $5 for the kids. Great history lesson, took us about 2 hours to walk through the whole ship, and we skipped most of the "stopping to read the signs" - history buffs will definetly spend 3-4 hours like the website says. Kept my kindergartener's attention up until the very end (he was so tired from all the walking, but the promise of a toy battleship kept his spirits high!).

6  Thank NCPianoPlayer
Reviewed September 17, 2006

We toured the USS battleship while visiting Wilimington. At first the adults weren't as excited as the children. As we toured the ship and learned the history and how the crew lived on the ship we were amazed at what we saw. I would recommend this when visiting Wilmington...just wear the right shoes because it is at least a 2 hour tour.

5  Thank jnhistory
Reviewed June 28, 2006

I have three boys. When we told them they were headed to a ship for a day they didn't seem that excited. I think they were thinking dinner cruise.

From the moment we got to the parking lot their eyes lit up! They didn't stop! We spent over 3 hours on the ship. The boys wanted to check out every crevice and learn about every detail of what it would have been like to actually be a sailor on this ship.

When we went the first time it was January. It was not hot or crowded. There were actually only about 10 other people there the whole time we were there.

The history lesson for the grown-ups was very informative and the fun for the kids was great. It had something for everyone.

There is a lovely gift shop at the end of the tour with many things to buy to remember your trip. I bought a metal dining hall tray because it brought back some childhood memories of mine (completely unrelated to the tour).

We are heading back over the the July 4th weekend so I may have an added thought or two when I get back.

It is well worth the trip!

5  Thank NCDawnM