“GREAT FAMILY FUN!”

Battleship NORTH CAROLINA
Ranked #1 of 114 things to do in Wilmington
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: As you walk the decks of the NORTH CAROLINA, imagine yourself in the South Pacific during WWII searching the sky for enemy aircraft, anticipating what may happen next. Step aboard the most decorated US Battleship of WWII! Explore nine decks, crew's quarters, gun turrets, and much more. Discover where history comes alive. Located at the junctions of highways 17, 76, 74, 421 on the Cape Fear River across from historic downtown Wilmington. Open every day!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We spent half of our day at the Battleship...was very interesting and took my Fiance s family there also and they loved it. I am a local and remember the last time I visited here we were limited to certain areas...was excited to see they have expanded viewing areas....

There are newer reviews for Battleship NORTH CAROLINA

Reviewed September 25, 2012

We went to The battleship in the middle of summer and it was pretty hot inside the ship that would be the only negative. Be prepare to walk a lot and climb up and down the stairs. I didn't think we will access to so much of the ship, but it was great that we did. The price it is very reasonable. This is a great hands on knowledge on military ship life. While there has been many changes to the ships a lot of it is the same still. I real eye opener to what our service members go through, because I can't imagine being in the ship for months and months. Definitely a must do if you are in town.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

Not only did my sons have a great time but the whole family did. Be prepared there are a lot of stairs if you are unable to climb you might want to skip this one. But if a good dozen stairs won't put you off this is a CAN'T MISS. They self guided tour takes you through the ship both above and below deck.

I recommend hitting it early, Sunday even better, it opens at 8 get there before the crowds and the heat takes over.

2  Thank McElspeth
Reviewed September 22, 2012

The visit to the USS North Carolina was superb. I never imagined that they would give you access to so much of the ship. From the powder rooms and magazines to the galley and surgical rooms, below and above decks! You get a real feel for how tough it was to live and fight on these ships. A MUST SEE, if you are in Wilmington.

2  Thank BobandPaulette1983
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I can't recommend this highly enough. This self guided tour through the battleship north carolina is a window into a different time and place. There are some four decks below and several above, all preserved to reflect what life was like for the seamen serving aboard the vessel during world war 2. There are turret guns that will blow you away with their size and scale. The dials and view finder gadgets all work and can be played with! You can crawl inside gunner seats. The kitchens, galley and living quarters paint a vivid picture of what it must have been like to serve on this ship. The captains quarters are stark but bespeak the major decisions that must have been made in them. The placards do a great job of explaining what each thing is and hold your attention by providing personal anecdotes of sailors that served there. I am not really a history buff and i find most war memorials to be boring, but this is worth a trip to wilmington on its own merits.

3  Thank anonymoustraveler18