“fantastic hotel...in so many ways”

Best Western Plus Coastline Inn
Ranked #7 of 45 Hotels in Wilmington
Reviewed November 24, 2008

I always read trip advisor prior to booking any hotels i stay at, especially when it is an international booking.
The reviews for this hotel are very old...2005 and such so i really didn't know how the hotel would be now in 2008. I have stayed in many best western hotels so i trust the name and have never been disappointed...and this time around at best western coastline inn it was the same.

I loved the room. I was by myself there for 4 nights and spent my days enjoying the whole Dawson's Creek and One Tree hill locations on offer in the area. So i was beat by 6pm each night. I was so glad that i had a lovely room to come back to. The shower was very nice aswell, and i was impressed that i had a flat screen tv. But what was most impressive was the breakfast i recieved each morning in a nice little basket, filled with anything i wanted on the list. It made the start of the day in a very small town that much more fun, and i didn't leave on an empty stomach.

When i first arrived i noticed an issue with flushing the toilet, and as i was headed out for dinner they had someone go up immediately and informed me it had been fixed upon my return. So i thought they were extremely helpful and effiecent in fixing any problems.

The staff were always friendly and called me a cab when i left for the airport, and even the cleaning staff were nice and always said hello. As a young girl from Australia i must say Wilmington impressed me alot, with the people in it but even more by the hotel and how much i enjoyed my stay there.

When i next return to Wilmington in a couple of years on my next trip to America i will definately be staying there again. The views of the river, the breakfast, the tv and the channels i could watch all made it a very relaxing and enjoyable time and i would wholly recommend it to anyone staying there in the future. Its clear the staff care about making your visit a happy one.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank Toni F

Reviewed October 23, 2008

We stayed at the Best Western Coastline during a brief overnight visit to Wilmington (myself, my husband, and 2 teenage daughters).

I was a little hesitant when we first arrived at the hotel, as the area surrounding the parking lot was industrial. However, as soon as we checked in we were impressed with the friendly, courteous, cheerful service which we received from everyone we encountered at the front desk.

The four of us stayed in one room with 2 double beds. I believe that every room has a river view. The room was not overly large but was very clean.

We asked for a dinner recommendation and were directed to Elijah's which was delicious. (A 10 minute walk down the riverwalk and right on the water). We sat outside on the patio which was enjoyable and dry despite the torrential rain.

Jimmy from the hotel called us after our departure to let us know we had forgotten 2 pairs of glasses in our room. He promptly sent them to our home in Massachusetts.

The Hilton is right next door. It looked very large and had a pool. We didn't have a chance to check it out and I am not sure if the price is comaprable to the Best Western Coastline. All in all, we were happy with our choice.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed August 29, 2008

We stayed for five days to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary during our short jaunt to Wilmington. We had a deluxe king room. It was truly spacious, gorgeously decorated, clean, tiled bathroom and had a marvelous view of the Cape Fear River. The living area and bedroom both had flat screen tvs. From this location you could walk anywhere you wanted and never had to drive the car. Parking was free. The nearby Hilton charged its guests for parking. Continental breakfast is brought to your room at your specified time in a basket. Couldn't be nicer. The staff was very friendly and courteous. They provided me with answers to all my questions and were extremely helpful. I would highly recommend this motel and would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 22, 2008

My husband and I arrived in Wilmington, on a busy weekend, at about 1:00 on a Saturday afternoon. The Coastline Inn was booked to capacity except for one room. We didn't have previous reservations, but the desk clerk was extremely helpful and quickly booked the room. We had a queen room with one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in. The next morning, a complimentary continental breakfast, of our choosing, was brought to the room by one of the hotel staff at exactly the time I'd specified on the order sheet. All of the staff were extremely friendly and the hotel was very clean. We'll definitely stay here again...

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank littlemrscaulder
Reviewed November 6, 2007

First we stayed at the Baymont (because of TA price and reviews). But after the toilet tank dumped its water on the floor of the Baymont and no one knew how to turn it off, we moved on. This place was much nicer and twice as much.

This hotel is incredibly convenient to downtown. The riverside boardwalk goes right by the hotel and within a couple blocks you are in old-town Wilmington. The queen room had a pull-out sofa.
We loved the plush pillows, the roomy bathroom. A little disconcerted by the walk-in rain shower that faced the huge mirror and glad that our eyesight is poor. With glasses back on, we loved watching the barges go by on the slow river. Perfect November weather.

There are two downsides. One, the continental breakfast, though delivered to the room, is downright chintzy for such an expensive room. Although you can choose what you want, they aren't generous, i.e. you get two tiny jelly packets and just barely enough coffee for two small cups. (There is a maker in the room.) And two, I felt the noise from other rooms was louder than it should have been. Not horrible, but we could hear nextdoor's TV.

Everything else was what it should have been for that price.

• Stayed: November 2007
Reviewed July 19, 2007

After rejecting the first room (asked for a jacuzzi & the room didn't have one to the surprise of the front desk attendant) we were "upgraded" to the tower room. We were to tired to move, but should have. The carpets & walls were filthy dirty. When we were leaving a construction crew said it was going to be renovated - and boy does it need it!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank thetravlinfanatic
Reviewed April 22, 2007

My wife is 71 and fit. I'm almost 72 and not. As a result when we travel she has to handle all the bags. When we arrived at this property on a very windy day she opted to pull our two rollies up the steps to the hotel rather than get blown away using the ramp. A man wearing a hotel shirt apparently whiled away his time watching as she struggled up the steps with first one case, then the other. He amused himself further by watching idly as she pulled the doors open and worked her way in. His viewing pleasure was not interrupted as I came up the stairs using my cane and engaged in my own struggle to get the door open against the gusty winds assailing this riverfront property. In a very delayed gesture of hospitality the man greeted me as I got inside. He never lifted a finger.

The check-in was a little frustrating as the receptionist seemed to have little or no awareness of Best Western's courtesy upgrade program for its Gold Crown members (which we are). We were given the keys to our room and off we went. Upon arriving there we heard the phone ring. It was the receptionist who had taken a message for us earlier but hadn't bothered to give it to us on check-in. I searched in vain for both pen and paper and finally had to produce my own to write down the numbers. When I asked the receptionist where the pen and paper could be found she told us simply that they were supposed to be in the room. No apologies, no interest.

Shortly thereafter I used the bathroom and discovered that the toilet paper was almost all gone and there was no replacement roll. I called down to the front desk and was told that, as with the pen and paper, there was supposed to be extra toilet paper. Yes, I know. The receptionist made a big deal of telling me she would put a sign up on the front desk letting others know she was helping a guest. She then brought up some toilet paper. While she was there I asked her the function of the man standing in the lobby. She told me he was the maintenance man.

Instead of standing around ignoring guests, the maintenance man's time might have been better spent fixing the sink in our bathroom whose plunger, once closed, resisted opening. Or, he could have sealed up the leaking window which brought water into the window sill which was peeling the newly-renovated room's paint.

In the morning I decided to let the general manager in on the situation. When I asked for the GM, the desk clerk asked if he could help. "Not unless you're the GM," I said curtly because of his rather smug attitude. He asked my name and I gave him my room number instead. When he returned from the back office he was followed by a woman whom I assumed to be the GM. Rather than come up to me immediately, she stopped to examine something on the computer screen (in context most likely my registration record). Then she spotted a hotel employee and called him over and began giving him directions as to something she wanted done. Clearly she was delaying dealing with me as long as possible. Finally, I just turned around and walked away. Nobody called my room to ask how they could help me.

As we were leaving I decided to make one more try and stopped at the front desk. The desk clerk was on one call, hung up, and went back to another call without even acknowledging me though he was aware I was there. I waited a minute or so, then just walked out. It was not a surprise to me when I got home and found neither a letter nor a phone call from the property asking about my experiences.

The room was newly renovated according to the hotel's literature and adequately furnished.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family