“Quite nice for a place with no microwave in the room”

BEST WESTERN PLUS Coastline Inn
Ranked #8 of 44 Hotels in Wilmington
Durham, North Carolina
“Quite nice for a place with no microwave in the room”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2014

They lock the breakfast room at 10:00 am, which means you're not getting any more hot water or coffee. (No, they don't have them in the lobby like every other hotel on Earth.)

Since the rooms don't have microwaves in them either, you have no way to heat up your water unless you bring your own electric kettle. Since I wasn't forewarned, I got one at the Walmart up the road for $12.

Aside from that, no complaints. Great view, great location, good comfortable bed, adequate breakfast.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
jackieblake, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Coastline Inn, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
We greatly appreciate your comments on the hotel. We made the decision not to put microwaves in the rooms due to several unexpected situations that have occurred in the past however, we do offer coffee in the lobby and if a guest ever has a need to heat something up the front desk is always happy to allow our guest to use the microwave we have available to staff. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to your next visit

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Knightdale, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014

Our room was beautiful, and very clean. It had everything we needed. We had a great river view from the bedroom. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was just okay. The hotel is just a short beautiful walk from downtown. We never had to get in our car.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

1 Thank Sarah C
jackieblake, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Coastline Inn, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
We greatly appreciate your nice comments on the hotel. We are also glad you enjoyed being in the downtown area and taking advantage of everything there is to offer. We look forward to your next stay
Raleigh, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014

If you like scenery, shopping, dining and nightlife, the Best Western PLUS Coastline Inn, Wilmington, NORTH CAROLINA is a great step-off point. The weekends are great for people watching and dancing. The entire week in Wilmington offers great dining and shopping. The oceans are close by also: Wilmington Beach, Carolina Beach, Kerr Beach and Sunset Beach.

1 Thank Robert T
We greatly appreciate your nice comments and we look forward to your next visit.
Wilmington, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

Staff is very helpful and friendly. We had 2 dogs and a baby traveling with us. The dogs were not considered a nuisance. Rooms were a bit smaller than I thought they would be, but were adequate. Hotel is laid out nicely and very close to town. Very nice walk down the river.

1 Thank Jeryl V
jackieblake, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Coastline Inn, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Thank you so much for the nice comments on the staff and the hotel. We look forward to your next visit.
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014

Nice quite clean hotel over looking Cape Fear River. The front desk staff was very informative and friendly, pointed us to some good restaurants. Easy access to riverwalk! Free Parking! Rooms were very clean the bathrooms looked like they have been redone not to long ago. Free fast wifi was easy to connect to..Bed pillows nice and plush! Would stay here again

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
jackieblake, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Coastline Inn, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Thank you for the nice comments on the staff and the hotel. We are so glad that everything was satisfactory. We look forward to your next stay.
Goldsboro, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014

We located the hotel online for a quick one-night excursion on our way to Myrtle Beach. We tried to book online but at the end of the booking process, we were told that there is a two-day minimum. No problem, if that is, in fact, the policy of the hotel. We are frequently travelers for business and pleasure. We embrace rules fully. Over the years, I have learned that it is important to call the hotel directly. I did so. The front desk attendant was very nice and was emphatic that there IS NO two-day minimum for this weekend. She advised me to go online again to get the lower rate that is posted clearly on their own Best Western site --- $40.00 less than the rate she provided on the phone (The same lower rate was posted by a multitude of 3rd party sites as well.) Again, no problem since we are frequent travelers, we are used to going online to book. I went online again, as directed, and was not allowed by the Best Western site to complete the booking. I again called the hotel directly. The reservations attendant at the hotel again told me there was nothing she could do. She advised me to call the Best Western corporate help line. I did so as advised. The customer service rep on the corporate help line said that the hotel was the only one who could handle this situation and that they could override what was online. She asked why I was calling her. (Things were getting absurd by that point but I pressed forward.) I asked her if she could call the hotel directly since they had told me that the corporate entity would have to help me. The corporate help line person had me hold while she called the hotel directly. She came back on the line and told me that they were not helpful to her and that I should speak with a manager and that the ones at the hotel are the ONLY ones who can complete my booking. I called the hotel back directly and asked about speaking with a manager. The attendant told me that the manager was not working this weekend and that there was nothing I could do. She offered to complete the booking at a rate that was $40 higher than what was posted online. She also said that she could not honor the AAA rate reduction posted on their site, a reduction that she already agreed to provide until I originally mentioned the online rate. I said that I would talk with my wife and call them right back. (Remember, they had ample vacancies in two different room rate categories.) When I called back literally a few minutes later, suddenly, the attendant informed me that they are "sold out" and that they have been for several days. When I called the name of the other desk attendant with whom I had discussed their various vacancies (queen room category or a king suite room category), she replied, "Oh yes, I do remember now what you are saying. There were vacancies up until a few minutes ago. A guy decided to stay over." I protested by pointing out that they had multiple or at least more than one vacancy literally a few moments before. She said, "Well, that's what we have, sir." --- Suddenly, they were "sold out" and "... have been for many days!" Isn't it interesting how that happens when one is persistent.

This was a very disappointing experience. We really hadn't planned to go to Wilmington at all but my son wanted to see the battleship. We certainly have no problem with a hotel begin fully booked. That is part of traveling. Nobody at Best Western was rude, disrespectful, loud or "out of the way" to us at all. There is, however, a level of customer service (or the lack thereof) that can be more shocking and frustrating than any kind of heated or nasty exchange would have been. Our issue and greatest disappointment centered on what seemed to us to be a complete lack of concern for common sense and for trying to help a traveler. It was clear in every way that nobody really cared if we booked there or not. So many times, things like this get lost in the angry back-and-forth between customer and business. This situation was absent all of that. There was no anger. There was no ugly exchange. They just didn't seem to care at all. I have spent over 20 years working in the customer service business. I am quite sure that all of this review, if it's even considered by Best Western, will be dismissed as "just one person's opinion" while they were able to fill up the rooms without my family's business on this particular night. With this level of customer service, that mindset might problematic if many others start having the same experience.

Best Western has lost my business. (Truthfully, this was the first time that I have considered staying with Best Western in many years.) By comparison, the Hilton next door had us on a waiting list for a reservation. We didn't even call them back and they just called saying that they have been trying all day to "work out" something for us and have been able to do so. We will be staying beside the Best Western tonight at the Hilton Riverside. We saw two very different forms of customer service today.

3 Thank MJS1458
I'm so sorry you had such a problem with your booking. I have spoken with the desk clerk that was on duty that morning and we do indeed have a two night minimum for our weekend bookings and we did have availability for Saturday night and the only discount that was available was our AAA rate, which is what she quoted you. You had obviously been online to one of our third party booking channels and found a much cheaper rate, but we cannot offer those rates at the hotel level. There are restrictions set for all third party bookings and in order to get the lower rate you would have to book the two nights, which is the reason for the deeper discount. I'm sorry that you had such a problem and we could have accommodated your reservation request at the AAA rate for the one night.
Wake Forest, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014

Breakfast at this hotel is a very uncomfortable situation. The breakfast woman is rude and condescending and makes you feel like you were eating breakfast at a prison. I won't be coming back to stay here.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

1 Thank Lawerance O
As I explained in my previous response, I am so sorry about the incident with the breakfast attendant the other morning in regards to the milk carafe. She came down and immediately reported the incident to me and I'm sure she could have handled the issue with a little more delicacy and for that I am sorry. I do hope you will come back and visit with us again.