“Wonderful surprise!”

Ranked #8 of 44 Hotels in Wilmington
Gastonia, North Carolina
“Wonderful surprise!”
Reviewed December 15, 2012

We were looking for something scenic yet convenient to restaurants and nightlife. The Best Western was the perfect choice for us. Check in and check out was very smooth with the front desk staff very pleasant and accomodating. The room was very nice, clean and quiet. The view of the water was perfect in the morning. The breakfast was very nice and choices for every diet.
I would highly recommend staying at the hotel. The only hold back for me was the pet friendly option, however, I didn't notice any remnants of previous pets in the room.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are nice.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
jackiehodge, General Manager at Best Western Plus Coastline Inn, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and I greatly appreciate your nice comments on the hotel and the staff. We look forward to your next visit and in regards to our accepting pets, if your concern is getting a non pet room, please make a note of it on your reservation and we will make sure you are put in a room that no pet has been. Merry Christmas!!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Pawleys Island, South Carolina
Reviewed December 2, 2012

After reading most of the Trip Advisor reviews on pet friendly hotels in the area, I decided to treat myself and my Best friend/Yorkshire Terrier to an UPGRADE. I usually stay on Market Street or closer to the beach and spend less than $100.00's because I don't spend much time in the room. This time of year with it being cool outside I took advantage of the delicious breakfast and beautiful view as I lingered in the comfy King size bed. I've been coming here for years but never stayed at this wonderful hotel. I was impressed by the friendly and professional staff of the front desk. I had read about Jason repeatedly in the reviews, I figured he had to be an older experienced gentleman, but to my surprise this young man turned out to be wise beyond his years! I spoke to him on the phone before I arrived and he quickly booked my reservation and agreed not to charge my card in case I had to cancel or push out my arrival date, HOW REFRESHING! I hate when hotels make you charge the first night if under a 24 hour booking. Jason gave very good directions and suggestions of where to eat and things to do. The other people were nice too, just didn't have that much face time with them. I hope upper management is taking good care of there exemplary employees, They make a big difference between a good hotel and a great hotel! This hotel was great in EVERY WAY! Awesome quite location, fantastic view, very clean, great linens, beautiful grounds with their own dock/pier, and walking distance to many great restaurants and venues. Thankfully they were pet friendly, or I would not have stayed here. The doggie treat bag was a nice touch, as was the doggie station outside for quick disposals/cleanliness. I guess my only suggestion would be do away with the pet fee of $20.00 per nite, especially when my room was already charging for two people, and I was traveling alone. You would get more business in the long run, because a lot of people will never get to experience your AWESOME hotel because of that extra fee, I almost did't! Glad I did, and I'll be back!

Room Tip: Pets are only allowed on the first floor, but I would suggest an upper floor so you can leave your d...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
jackiehodge, General Manager at Best Western Plus Coastline Inn, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Thank you for the great comments on the hotel and on Josh. Josh is an exemplary employee and he treats every guest as if he has known them for years. I am also glad to read that after visiting Wilmington several times that you decided to stay downtown and stay with our beautiful hotel. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Located on the river and just offthe main downtown areas this was a perfect location to spend a few nights. The suite was a nice affordable upgrade over a convential room with free parking and a decent breakfast. I'd stay here again if in the area. It was very clean and comfortable with afriendly accommodating staff.

Room Tip: Chose to upgrade to a suite very worthwhile
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
jackiehodge, General Manager at Best Western Plus Coastline Inn, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Thank you so much for the great comments. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you again
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Clean and comfortable, but not a 5 star. If your looking for a place to rest with a nice view of the river then this is the place. If your looking for more than that, hit the Hilton next door. I was there for a conference that was walking distance to the hotel and it served it's purpose. Easy walk to restaurants and you don't feel unsafe. Fat Tony's has great beer and pizza.

Only complaint I can think of is the wifi is rather week if you are on one of the outer rooms, but hey, it's free. The place next door charges you 10 bucks a day!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
jackiehodge, General Manager at Best Western Plus Coastline Inn, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you so much for the nice comments and I'm sorry that the wifi was not up to your expectations. We will definitely look into the issue and get it addressed. We look forward to your next visit and thanks again for staying with us
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We were greeted by the most pleasant woman when we checked in and when we were leaving we encountered another very pleasant woman. They were both so helpful and made our stay very nice. The bed was very comfy and the waterfall shower was nice. The only thing we did not like was the bathroom was small - but it was very clean. If ever we are in the area we will stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
jackiehodge, General Manager at Best Western Plus Coastline Inn, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
I greatly appreciate the nice comments about the staff at the front desk. They work very hard and they always greet and try to assist each guest during their stay. We look forward to seeing you again....
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed October 23, 2012

My husband & I travel the country on our motorcycles. We love to visit Wilmington especially the riverfront area. The Best Western is our favorite hotel on the river. It's at one end of the riverwalk so it's a little quieter there. We've always had first rate service, clean, comfortable rooms with lovely views of the river. It sits across from the USS North Carolina for an added bonus of history.

We stayed on the 4th floor in a King suite. Our room overlooked the deck and pier area which is a great place to see the river, catch the breeze and enjoy the sights. The sunsets are spectacular at this location.

Our room features included a chair with ottoman, desk, mini refrigerator, coffee pot and microwave with a mini sink. The bathroom had cute louvered french doors, rain forest shower head in a walk-in shower (no tub), and a large double sided magnified mirror sitting on bathroom sink area. The counter top offered space on a lower shelf for additional storage so you don't have to have such a mess in the sink area. Counter tops were dark marble laminate.

The front desk staff were exceptional. If you need directions or want suggestions for restaurants, they are the go-to folks. Josh, Melissa, Jackie or Roz will all go out of their way to make your stay as happy as possible. They offer a Downtown Bar & Club Guide and a Downtown Dining Guide so you will not get lost.

The only one negative about this location is the breakfast area. It's like walking into a closet. It feels cramped and the day I was there, the fruit was old - the oranges seemed slightly shriveled and the bananas were more black than yellow. You have a choice of cold juice, coffee, hot water for tea, cereal, waffles, Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches, bagels, muffins, cinnamon rolls & yogurt. Many of the items are grab and go and that is what you will want to do.

Or you can do what my husband and I did - we went out.

The riverfront area bustles with restaurants, bars, & clubs on Fri & Sat nights. On Sunday, it is quiet. You will find few places open that serve food or coffee if you are planning to stay until Monday. The Cotton Exchange is close by. It has numerous tourist trap shops for t-shirts, candy, ice cream, sandwiches etc. There is a health food store in that location if you need vitamins, tea or herbs.

The riverfront area seems to be very safe at night. There is the river walk itself that winds around the river. It's about 1 mile long and it's well lit at night. The week-end we were there, there was a triathlon on Sat. The last part was running to the river front so the entire street was blocked off which made getting to the river front restaurants difficult.

Front and Water Streets are very dynamic with shops of all types so it's a lot of fun to walk around or sit and have a drink, a glass of wine or cup of tea or coffee.

There are boat cruises too so there is lots to do here whether you are a family or a couple looking for a romantic vacation.

Room Tip: If you are a motorcyclist, there are areas in the front where you can park. Part of this area is und...
1 Thank HappyTrails6601
jackiehodge, General Manager at Best Western Plus Coastline Inn, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
We are so glad you enjoyed your recent stay at the hotel. The overlook suite is our most popular suite as it sits in the middle of the hotel and you get great views from both directions. We look forward to your future stay and we are always working on ways to improve our breakfast selections and yes the breakfast room is small but most guest really enjoy the coziness.
Apex, North Carolina
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I stayed here for one night during Riverfest. The room was a King suite riverview room with a mini fridge. The second night I stayed at the Hilton, just a block away, and it didn't compare to our Best Western room. It was very well done, very clean, and updated with a rainfall shower head and current decor.

I loved the way the room was set up, you walk into the sitting area with the sofa bed, tv, and table then walk through a passage way where the bathroom is located and then into the bedroom area. It feels like a one bedroom apartment almost (without a kitchen, of course). The bedroom even had a pocket door if you wanted to be seperate from others staying with you and sleeping on the sleeper sofa.
The value is superb! You can walk to everything!!! With every nice eating place 2 blocks away, and the Battleship North Carolina is just across the river, shopping....what else do you need?
I wish we had been able to stay here the 2nd night. The next time we're in Wilmington we'll book this hotel again. We were in Room 200, it's a corner room suite so if that's what you'd like you can ask for it specifically if you call, or just make sure you book a Riverview Suite on their website.

1 Thank unctina
We were so happy to hear that you had such a good time in Wilmington during the Riverfest festivities and that you enjoyed your room. The corner suites have the best views and the extra space is an added bonus. We look forward to seeing you again soon.