“Not the worst trip I ever had.. but it's on the list!!!!”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Wilmington
Ranked #15 of 45 Hotels in Wilmington
Reviewed July 13, 2011

First of all... We arrived late because we got lost. Check out was at 3:00 pm and we didn't get there til 4:00. Well we get our key, go to our room, the kids walk in and say mommy someone's clothes are in the room. Apparently housekeeping didn't know the people before us left everything they owned in the world in our room. (Dirty socks, underwear and everything) The room had not been cleaned at all. We go back to the desk and they give us another room, ten minutes after we arrive a crazy, psycho lady knocks on the door and tells us.. that we are too loud, she said the walls are thin and we have to be careful...(like we built the hotel, I mean it's not our fault if the walls are thin)! I wanted to flip out!!! The next day, we come back in from a day at the beach and our key does not work... we are standing outside the door with 4 kids tired and ready to bathe and sleep and we can't get in our room. After I told the front desk person, he acted like he was so concerned about our losy stay at their hotel and he assured me that we would get a refund of some kind. WELL HE LIED! I never got anything! AND the fold away couch was a horrible sleep! And the complimentary breakfast was a joke!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Wilmington

Reviewed July 8, 2011

First of all, I reserved a Queen suite with a pull out sofa bed. I arrived earlier than check in time (3pm) at 11am since we were going to the beach for the day and would not get back until later that night. I advised that I was there to make sure my room would be available and request a cot. I was assured that I would get both. Upon my return, I was given a King suite (1 bed 1 pull out sofa bed) but the front desk did not tell me this, they just gave me the key to the room as if nothig was wrong. I lugged my kids, elderly grandfather, and luggage up to the 4th floor room just to have to return to the front desk and complain. The staff were very friendly and acknowledged their mistake. It was a different person than had been there earlier in the day, so I was not able to direct my frustration on the right person. The two that were there did apologize profusely and offer us an additional king room (no sofa) at no extra charge or to send us to a different hotel (we picked the extra room). However, they did not have the cot available for me either and had no explaination for that. Since the staff were so apologetic I took the blunder in stride. The rooms were very clean and the breakfast was great (definitely better than most hotels). Only other complaint is that the indoor pool is VERY tiny. Only 4ft at the deepest part. But did have a small hot tub area. Also, the walls were paper thin (to be expected I suppose) and the curtains only had sheers covering them the entire length which allowed for anyone to look into your room at night. Still, not a bad stay for the money and the CLEANLINESS!

Room Tip: Better double and triple check with the hotel that you get the room you book!!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 23, 2011

We absolutely loved this place. Free cookies at the front desk. Highly recommend to young professional couples looking to get away and de-stress in a charming city!

Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 26, 2011

Julia Connette (General Manager) and her staff including Laquella, Kevin, and Hank were all very hospitable. Hank and Kevin were very instrumental in giving me a discount I had found online, even though it took extra computer time-they were very patient. Laquella re-opened the breakfast dining area for my son and me because we thought they closed at 10:30 and not 10:00. We had already checked out and she made sure we had waffles, cereal, muffins,coffee, and eggs before our 2 hour drive home. Everyone always smiled, were genuine, and made us feel like we were taken care of. Julia even donated some supplies to our tornado victims in Sanford NC (my hometown).
When we first arrived, our alarm clock was not working but, was replaced in a matter of minutes. Our room was clean, the fitness rm was nice, and my son enjoyed the indoor pool.
I am planning on staying there again when my medical conference will be held in Wilmington this winter.
Sincerely
Denise

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 31, 2011

Room was clean and spacious. Free breakfast had lots of options. Hotel near downtown and the beach. Would definitely stay here again if we could get the same great price through Priceline.

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed October 29, 2010

We arrived at the front desk with a Country Inn and Suites coupon obtained at the N. Carolina welcome center. We were told sorry there's only a couple rooms available at that rate and they're gone, but we have plenty of rooms for this rate. ( a 50 percent up charge ) We left and went to a Fairfield Inn that was happy to take their coupon. Sorry folks but where I come from that's called bait and switch and it is illegal. If you advertise a price and a customer arrives while you still have the product and you tell them it's a higher price that's illegal. When I return home I intend to bring this to the attention of your attorney general for investigation. Good Luck with that.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank livsea2
Reviewed September 19, 2010

I find it is always easier to write a review that outlines concerns or warns others of a bad experience, but my wife and I so enjoyed our stay on our last trip to Wilmington that we would recommend this hotel to others.

This hotel is a hidden gem just off the main road, but driving in from the triangle I found the hotel easily and conveniently just off of I-40/College Ave. And though we arrived around midnight I found the staff was both friendly and attentive, check-in was easy and we were in our room in no time. Our room was clean and in order, and not sweltering as I’ve found so many rooms along the coast. My wife was able to go to sleep immediately and I ran out for a quick bite to eat. The next morning we had waffles (my wife say’s YuMMMMM) coffee and juice, (just some of the options provided for breakfast) and maybe 15 minutes after leaving the hotel we were on Wrightsville island. Returning to the room that evening the staff had paid attention to every detail, linens appropriately replaced, bed remade to the standards of a drill sergeant, and the thermostat was where we had set it.

We noticed the business center and meeting spaces, we thought these were more than ample for a hotel this size. The pool and fitness facilities are typical of most hotels this size but nicer than some we've seen closer to Carolina Beach.

The hotel is so close to Mayfaire, the airport, beach and downtown, it will be the first place we look whether our trip is planned or spur of the moment.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple