“Extremely Disappointing”

Hilton Wilmington Riverside
Ranked #20 of 45 Hotels in Wilmington
Reviewed February 15, 2011

We tried to reserve a room with a queen or king size bed, and were told that they could not guarantee the request - Instead when we checked in we were told that the only rooms available were rooms with two full-size beds. The room was small by most hotel standards and was crowded with the furnishings. The bathroom was filthy and my wife had to clean the bath tub prior to using it for the first time. The trash can in the bathroom appeared not to have been cleaned in quite some time. The carpeting throughout the room was soiled and badly in need of a thorough cleaning. The in-house restaurants' service was abysmal, and the employee's rude and unprofessional. The only good experience we had was with the breakfast buffet and the employees attending to the service the following morning, which was located on the ground floor level. In short, not worth the money we spent on what was suppose to be a romantic week-end. We opted to return home early.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank towerwalker
WilmingtonHiltonGirl, Director of Sales at Hilton Wilmington Riverside, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2011

Thank you for your recent stay. Your experience is not typical of our property. We appreciate the feedback so that we can improve. We continuously strive to be the best in Wilmington. If we should fall short, we appreciate when guests bring it to our attention.

We would love to have you back, I hope you will give us that opportunity. In the interim, I will forward your comments to the proper staff to address.

Thank you again!

Reviewed January 13, 2011

First let me say that I adore this hotel. From the convenient downtown location to the spectacular river views -- I always enjoy my stays here. That said, I would just like to note a few minor issues experienced during my Dec 2010 stay. Being a current resident of Los Angeles, I'm extremely dismayed to see NC hotels beginning to embrace the west coast practice of hiring housekeeping staff who possess little to no English skills. I shouldn't have to play charades every time I wish to communicate with a hotel's staff. It's bad enough I have to put up with it here. Just a very disheartening trend to witness in my home state. As for the other issues with the room itself -- we experienced a problem with the hot water -- as in we had way too much of it. In fact, we couldn't get any cold water to come out of either our shower head or the sink. At best, we got warm to downright scalding hot water. The toilet water actually had steam coming off of it. My companion also observed a few long black hairs left on the shower wall in addition to the clean towels hanging on the rack. We also experienced a clogged toilet -- though I'm going to chalk that one up to my companion's inexperience with low flow toilets. Not sure how "green" these low flows really are in the long run when you end up flushing 3 times as much but I guess we can all thank Al Gore for that -- but I digress. As usual, the beds were extremely comfortable and the room was otherwise neat as a pin. WiFi service was adequate though the cable TV reception on some channels was downright horrible. The common areas of the hotel were very clean and well maintained. Before checking out, we made sure to report the water problem to your maintenance staff so they could have a look before assigning the room to another guest. Thankfully, the maintenance guy spoke perfect English. The front desk and lobby staff were very courteous as always. One last "complaint", which I'm sure you've heard numerous times before, is the issue of your $9/day parking fee. I just find it paltry to gouge your guests with yet another charge, simply for the privilege of parking on your own property. Your neighbors, Best Western, have almost the same size lot and yet they have no such charge. We hope to be visiting with your hotel again this summer -- possibly during the July 4th celebration on the Riverwalk.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends

Thank you for your recent stay at our property. Your feedback on the room is much appreciated and will be communicated to the proper departments to make the next guest's stay that much better.

We do charge for parking because it is the best way to ensure parking for our overnight guests. We did go a time without charging-We had guests (2) blocks away. Parking is at a premium downtown, and it is important to keep the limited spots we have for our patrons. We are competitive with our rates and have found that charging a minimal fee is the best solution.

We look forward to your return, hopefully on the 4th! Thank you again!

Reviewed December 20, 2010

My wife and I stay here each trip to Wilmington. This trip was to celebrate our anniversary and do some Christmas shopping. We stayed in room 843. Great view of the river and USS North Carolina Battleship. The room was very clean and comfortable. Maid service was perfect. We had a couple small issues that were handles very fast. (light-bulb, clock). The only issue I had was the sound of the doors closing late at night was a bit loud. I only heard it one night and it wasn't a very big deal.

This hotel is the perfect location to visit downtown. We enjoyed browsing through the shops and strolling the streets.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
WilmingtonHiltonGirl, Director of Sales at Hilton Wilmington Riverside, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2010

Happy Anniversary To You! I am so glad we were able to be part of your special day! We appreciate the positive comments and look forward to hosting you again soon!

Have a Safe & Happy Holiday Season!

Reviewed December 6, 2010

Just stayed last weekend (two nights) for a soccer tournament. Hotel location is just perfect. Close walking distance to the restaurants & shops and amazing view from our 9th floor room. Staff are very friendly and accommodating. If I had to list any minor gripes, I'd say the hotel restaurant could use some help. While the serving staff was excellent, the breakfast buffet food was lukewarm at best and the food itself a little bland. Hotel entrance and lobby look good but the hallways look a little dated and could use a refresher. Minor gripes as I said! We thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends

Thank you for your review and feedback.
I have forwarded your comments to the appropriate staff and we will use them only to make us better! We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Have a Safe & Happy Holiday Season!

Reviewed November 19, 2010

These suites are part of the Hilton and are situated a very short walk from the main hotel.
Our suite was clean spacious and well furnished. The view from the balcony was great and was right opposite the Battleship Museum. Everywhere was walkable and there were plenty of restaurants to choose from. The suites are not cheap but are great value for money. Well worth a couple of nights if you are exploring the area and want to relax in the evening in comfort.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
WilmingtonHiltonGirl, Director of Sales at Hilton Wilmington Riverside, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2010

Thank you for your business and all the great feedback! Riverview is a Little Treasure in Downtown Wilmington and we hope that you will come back soon to enjoy it! What are you doing for New Year's Eve?? We have some great packages!

Thank you again and have a Safe and Happy Holiday Season.

Reviewed October 12, 2010

I was somewhat pleased with the Hilton there. It was located downtown, and the hotel itself is in a perfect location for downtown, but little did I know there was not too much in the downtown area. About a 20min. drive to/from either Wrightsville/Kure Beach. Not bad but didn't blow my mind. The bed was fantasticly comfortable!!!!!! Slept wonderfully even if we were in a room that overlooked the roof of the lobby :/ Remarkably quiet though. So that did take us for a surprise, but they may want to think about downsizing the furnature- could barely walk around the room.

PAY for parking - It's so much easier than parking in the deck across the street. Safer too if you're heading out/coming back at night.

All in all, not too bad, but not fabulous either.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family

Thank you for your recent stay and for all the feedback! I am thrilled you had a good rest. We get alot of compliments on the bedding and we love to hear that. We hope you will come back and see us soon! Have a great Holiday Season!

Reviewed September 18, 2010

Hotel room had obviously been remodeled, but the bathroom ceiling was still awful over the stool, and the tinting on the large window was cut near the bottom, making the view somewhat less appealing.

Great view of the river - watched fishermen pull up crab traps in the morning while sipping our coffee. It was really relaxing. Enjoyed the view of the river and battleship.

Morning buffet was good - but wish I had known about the made-to-order omelets and eggs BEFORE I had a full plate - would've been much better. The gravy was awful, and eggs cool and rubbery - but servers were right there with coffee and juice refills.
Nine dollars for parking is steep for Wilmington but it was secure, might have been just as secure just 20 feet away on the street. Wilmington's downtown historic district is both safe and a pleasure to explore.
The Hilton puts you where you want to be in reasonable comfort.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
WilmingtonHiltonGirl, Director of Sales at Hilton Wilmington Riverside, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2010

Thank you for your review and comments on our property. I hope you had a great time while you were here.

I appreciate your feedback on breakfast and I will relay the information to the Kitchen so that they can address the issues you had.

We hope you will visit us again soon!