“Beware...they don't care”

Hilton Wilmington Riverside
Ranked #18 of 45 Hotels in Wilmington
Reviewed September 10, 2010

During my recent stay, I slipped in the shower. I called the Front Desk to report it and was told 'that happens a lot'. She said she would 'write it up' but made no attempt to apologize or even offer ice. At NO time during my week long stay did anyone follow up with me. Yes, falling was my responsibility but their response bordered on negligient, especially considering they have 'a lot' of people fall in the bathroom / shower. The walls are thin and you can hear everything in other rooms and the halls. A morning walk presented me with food/drinks/trash that had been served outside but not cleaned up and it was still all there mid-morning. Nice location but the staff / management does not seem to give a durn.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank purduegrad89
WilmingtonHiltonGirl, Director of Sales at Hilton Wilmington Riverside, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2010

I was so disappointed to read your review. I apologize for the reaction to your fall. We do care and attempt to address each and every incident report that happens at the hotel. I will most definitely address this with our staff and appreciate your bringing it to our attention.

We do strive to make all of our guests feel welcome and cared for. We will use this information to make us better at handling these issues and ensuring that information does not fall through the cracks. I hope you will give us another opportunity in the future to show you what we are truly capable of. Thank you for your input.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,487)

Reviewed September 8, 2010

We enjoyed the Hilton and Wilmington in general.
Room was on the small side but had a nice view of the river. Bed was comfortable. Enjoyed the pool. Breakfast at the restaurant was decent. Check in was great. Super nice lady at the front desk.

The hotel is within walking distance of lots of great shops, restaurants and bars on and off the river and 10 minutes drive from the beach or airport.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
WilmingtonHiltonGirl, Director of Sales at Hilton Wilmington Riverside, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2010

Thank you for your recent stay and positive feedback. We hope to host your stay next time you visit Wilmington!

Reviewed August 28, 2010

This is an older property with (at least where we were) extremely small rooms. If you have a fron room, you overlook a downtown and a parking lot. It is situated with access to a river walk along the Cape Fear River. The beds are creaky and the air conditioning is very loud. The bathroom is also small but does have a makeup mirror - GREAT! The busy (they have a constant flow of clientele) staff is accomodating. There is a fee for parking your car. The hotel breakfast is terrific and the wait staff attentive. Not the best hotel - not the worst hotel - but I definitely wouldn't want to pay top dollar for it!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
WilmingtonHiltonGirl, Director of Sales at Hilton Wilmington Riverside, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2010

Thank you for your feedback on our property. I apologize that you were not thrilled with your room. I would appreciate it if you could tell me what room you were in so we can address the air unit and bed issues you had. It is always our goal to provide the best in service and quality. We hope you will return soon so you have an opportunity to experience it!

Reviewed August 25, 2010

The Hilton Riverside met our expectations. The room was comfortable and we slept well every night. As you've seen in the other reviews, the hotel is right on the Cape Fear River and close to major downtown attractions. Valet parking is only $12 a day, a bargain considering that the out door lot is $9 a day. (This was a real convenience given the storms that hit while we were in Wilmington.)

The pool is family friendly and the main restaurant is about you would expect for a larger hotel. There's also a Ruth Chris steak house in the hotel.

We attended a function while we were at the hotel and the food was quite good. In fact, it was a very pleasant surprise.

The staff was attentive and polite. Check-in was a breeze and check-out was even easier.

All in all, this is a hotel we would recommend although we would be sure to mention that this is a "mature, traditional hotel property" not a suite hotel.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank NJ_Traveler90

Thank you for your positive feedback. We look forward to hosting you again soon. Enjoy the Labor Day Holiday!

Reviewed August 9, 2010

Our room was not ready at check-in time, their excuse was that there was a wedding reception there. The next day, after a day of sight-seeing, our room had not been made up at 6:30 p.m. Very rude front desk clerk said they were very busy. The room was VERY small and we were falling over each other. The only thing going for this hotel is location.Parking for guests is $9, parking across street is $5. Next time, stay at a nice hotel and drive downtown to park and sight-see. Definitely NOT 3 stars as AAA stated--1 star maybe. For $247 per nite, could've stayed 2 nights at a nice hotel. Definitely a rip off.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ja1990

I apologize for your recent stay. We do expect that rooms are ready for all of our guests at check in and they are cleaned in a timely manner. When that does not happen we appreciate guests bringing it to our attention. For a guest to leave disappointed, we take it very seriously. I hope you will come back soon to let us show you what we are truly capable of doing, providing the utmost in service and quality. Thank you again, we will use your input to make us better for future stays.

Reviewed August 5, 2010

Hotel customer service was awful, didnt honor request for Riverfront room with double beds. When I inquired about the room across the hall, I was told by a manager that another guest would not like having a roommate. I only needed to know that the room was occupied. The room was musty and dirty, not good for someone with allergies. The room was not cleaned on the second day there. I travel quite a bit and have never seen a Hilton like this one.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends

I was disappointed to hear about your experience here a few weeks ago. We do try to honor all room requests and understand the frustration when we can't accommodate them all. I would appreciate it if you could tell me the room number you were in so we can address the musty smell. I will forward your feedback to the appropriate staff to ensure we utilize it to make us better for future stays. I hope you will return soon so we can demonstrate the utmost service and quality we continuously strive to achieve. Thank you for your input.

Reviewed July 24, 2010

While this facility is older and the carpets are a bit worn, I found it quite acceptable and with good service. The beds were especially comfortable. It has a great location on the boardwalk along the Cape Fear River with a nice view of the battleship on the far side. The meeting rooms were large.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business