“Wonderful upgraded Hotel!”

Hilton Wilmington Riverside
Ranked #20 of 45 Hotels in Wilmington
Reviewed April 20, 2009

I've stayed at this Hilton several times in the last twenty years. The beauty of its location never ceases to amaze me! The upgrades they've done are magnificient and elegant; the art is modern and chic, the halls and meeting rooms are clean and crisp. Our room was nice, roomy and comfy. The beds are awesome.... maybe too much covers and you felt like you would slide off when you sat on it, but that's a good kind of cushy! All in all, it was a wonderful stay.
I will say that the modern, refurbished bathrooms are beautifully slick and modern, but for us two girls who love makeup, the lighting was a little dim for our liking. We love the pull-out mirror, but the light in it was dim and yellow.
Service was outstanding as well. And there is now a Ruth Chris' in the hotel....
And, of course, the location is superb. We walked to Paddy's for lunch Sunday afternoon. Convenient and beautiful.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed March 22, 2009

*Note, I am easy going, and haven't ever really used a forum like this, but was inspired after my stay this weekend.

Positives:
-Location for downtown
-The rooms are nice

Negatives:
- Moved me from the room I reserved 3 months in advance with a great view to a different room without it for no apparent reason
- Front desk is slow and gave me the keys that didn't work, twice
- You can hear everything going on in the rooms beside you - very noisy, even with calls to the desk I was kept awake until 4am one night, only to be woken up by two people down the hall's alarm clocks at 5:30am and 6:30am respectively
- Was told parking was free, then received a bill for it after they had already charged my card
- Skip the "Innovations" restaurant at dinner and go to a real place downtown - the food there is not worth the penny

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank njnctraveler
HiltonWilmingtonGM, Manager at Hilton Wilmington Riverside, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2009

Thank you for your response. I am certainly dissapointed to hear that your stay was not as expected. We strive daily to ensure that the thousands of satisfied guests we have each month remain that way and hate to hear when we fall short. I would love to have more details of your stay so that I may work to correct any issues going forward.

W. Chris Green, General Manager

Reviewed March 10, 2009

We stayed at the Hilton while attending a wedding. From the time we checked in until our delayed checkout because of the March 1st snow storm we were treated with the utmost respect and courtsey. From making arraingments to have a room next to our daughter to a great rate for the extra night we had to stay because of the storm the people who work here could not do enough for us. The Hotel is an a great location, you can walk to all the locations in historic Wilmington. The shuttle to and from the airport was prompt and you could be picked up in about10 min. The airport is very close but i cannot remember hearing planes arrive or take off. The rooms were clean, the halls were clean and the baths were clean. I was walking down the hall one morning and saw a maid in a bathroom on her knees cleaning the tub. I would recommend this hitel to anyone who asked. Almost forgot, they do charge you $9 to park your car, this was the only setback to our stay.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank dohi613

Thank you for taking the time to write this great review. We receive more than 300 positive personal notes each month that mirror your comments. Unfortunately, they don't all make it here to tripadvisor.

Once again, thank you and we look forward to hosting you in the future.

W. Chris Green, GM

Reviewed February 25, 2009

We stayed at this hotel to celebrate a birthday and also to enjoyed the Ruth Chris Steak House. To start with I had requested a smoke free room. We had two rooms, #802 and 804. The first thing that happen when I opened the door was the smell of smoke in both rooms, very strong in 802. I called the front desk and they advise me they would send someone up. The maid come in and spray some type of liquid which did not help. No one called from quest services to see if the problem was resolved. The rooms were extremely small and barely room to walk in them with all the furniture. I am a hilton honors member and used my points for this room. I went back down stairs and asked for some other type of spray and was advised it was the only type they had. An additional comment to me, you are getting the rooms free off of points. That was true but I also give them a lot of business to get those points. Even when I checked out and told them the room I checked out of, they never asked me again if we were satisfied. Did not even get an email from hiltons honors on comments of the room. There is no excused for a room to have that strong of smoke smell when they say it is a non smoking room. Another comment was they could not help when a customer smoe in it. I thought that is why you have maids. By the way Ruth Chris was a great outstanding meal, great food, worth every penny spent on the meal, but the Hilton hotel really made it a disappointing stay, especially when quest services or the hotel Manager could care less.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank carolinaacouple
Reviewed January 26, 2009

Loved the stay at the Hilton. This is what to expect from a Hilton - First class service with first class rooms and amenities.

This Hilton is more of a business class hotel and the staff is in business attire - as was to be expected.

I tried to check in early and they were busy from the night before. The FD clerk took my cell phone and called me when the room was ready which was great. The room had all the items that I needed except for a fridge. The flatscreens were quality and the furniture was first rate.

The amenities were nice at the hotel. The pool was a little cool - and they have a great location for a bar - which was closed during my stay. Ruth's Chris steakhouse looked busy - but we did not eat there.

Overall it was a great place in a great location and I really enjoyed it and would refer a friend.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Baxheadcase
Reviewed January 22, 2009

This was our second stay at the hotel. our son attends UNCW.
Renovations are complete Rooms are spacious offering style and comfort.
Resturant offers a continential breakfast with the room.
what I liked most was the staff who always went out of their way for my family. people are friendly and the town is Idyllic. lot's of great choices for dinner. site seeing and relaxing. Internet service is outstanding and a must for this family. you never no who you will bump into. We will alway's plan to stay at the Riverside Hilton when visiting Wilmington
The only negative is the parking charge

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank traveler500
Reviewed January 11, 2009

We had chosen to stay at the Hilton Riverside Hotel based on its location. It is on the Cape Fear River and was supposed to be newly renovated. Well, this hotel is a complete ripoff. We payed $179/night in November when we visited Wilmington for a wedding. It turns out that the "corporate wedding rate" dropped to $119/night TWO DAYS after we left. When approached about the drastic difference in rates, the hotel manager said, "those are our rates" and refused to adjust our room rate. The $179/night does not include parking or breakfast either(parking is $9/day). It is hard to tell that the hotel has been renovated, so how do they justify the outrageous rates? And the location on the River? Not such a big deal when you consider that you can easily walk to the river from any other hotel downtown. There is an entire river boardwalk with hotels and inns on it. Turns out that there are nicer places to stay that include parking and breakfast. Our friends and family stayed at the Wilmingtonian and the Best Western (also on the river, includes full breakfast and parking) and they were very pleased with their hotels. And there are lots of bed and breakfasts there too. Bottom line: Don't make the same mistake we did. Stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank birdgirl
HiltonWilmingtonGM, General Manager at Hilton Wilmington Riverside, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2009

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of our property. We take every guest response seriously and use each to continually improve our service. It is dissapointing that we were unable to meet your expectations. Our rates do fluctuate with demand as do all hotels based on dates of stay and availability. Additionally, we spent over 11 million in renovations to the property including complete guest room refresh and the addition of a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. I hope that on your next visit you will offer us the opportunity to regain your loyalty.