“Great stay”

Hilton Wilmington Riverside
Ranked #18 of 45 Hotels in Wilmington
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Visited Wilmington for the first time for work and though the Hilton Wilmington Riverside stretched my budget a bit, I chose this property for the proximity to "where I needed to be".

Service was attentive, prompt and friendly without being pushy. The only real hint of age on this property is the elevator inspection report which lists the original inspection date -- otherwise I would have guessed it was much newer. (The property does appear to have an "old wing" and a "new wing" but from my room in the older section I was none the wiser without looking hard).

Room service food was likewise good and prompt (though the margarita could have used a bit less tequila or a more thorough mixing).

Sitting in the room and staring out overlooking the river and boardwalk was a wonderful way to end the night after a long day working. The deck looked like it would be a wonderful place to relax, sadly it was fairly gloomy both nights I was in town for this trip.

Location was great for where I needed to be -- the rental car was completely unnecessary as I could walk everywhere I needed to go within 10-15 minutes. If I return I probably will opt for taxi/shuttle instead.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
WilmingtonHiltonGM, General Manager at Hilton Wilmington Riverside, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013

Thank you for your recent stay and great review. We are thrilled you enjoyed everything and we hope you will visit again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,486)

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Excellent hotel with top notch service. Very clean and staff is outstanding. Very nice restaurants with reasonable prices and the location was excellent. Withing walking distance of several shops. Beautiful city. Would definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

This is wonderful review. Thank you for taking the time to post it. We are very proud of our location and team and we are glad you had the opportunity to enjoy both. Come back soon!

Reviewed October 11, 2013

On arrival as both Honors and AARP member, no greetings, reserved two valet trips with Head Valet. One to the Henrietta steam boat for a dinner cruise on Saturday and one on Sunday to church due to wife having injured knee. Room had no microwave or refrigerator. Bathroom sink would not drain, only two wash clothes, filthy floor and tub drain was slow. We had stayed at this Hilton several time over the years. Hotel and room in real need of renovation. 4 AM fire alarm, wife (with injured knee) and I exited hotel to dark parking lot and limbs in our faces from overgrown bushes. Not sure who got alarm as only about 40-50 persons exited hotel.No explanation or directions from staff. Purchased cold salad from Café but no dressings available. Each time we entered the elevators from the 8th floor, we could smell kitchen exhaust. On Saturday evening, valet did everything they could to talk us out of taking us to dinner. Again confirmed need for trip on Sunday to church. On exiting our room on Sunday, my wife asked the house keeper, who was directly outside of our room, if she could clean our room next. She advised she would. Valet took us to church and advised he would be back immediately after the service to pick us up. We called the valets at 12:10PM for pickup. They advised" be there in 5 minutes". At 12:25 ,called back and were told that they had gone to the airport instead and would be an additional 10-15 minutes. My wife, in heels and wool dress with injured knee, walked the 5 blocks to hotel. No explanation from valets. Reentered our room and discovered it had not been cleaned. Spoke with Day Manager with only minimal explanations. We requested late checkout so that my wife could medicate and rest injured knee. Next morning @8 AM, with DO NOT DISTURB sign hanging, house keeper woke us and checked to see if we had gone yet. Made three trips to the parking lot carrying our own luggage, no one spoke. Checkout printout had three overcharge errors. Recently spent 8 days at another Hilton without a single issue. Will never stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Al and Glenda L

Thank you for your stay. I apologize that you were disappointed in your experience. We do our best to ensure a flawless stay for all and when it does not happen we appreciate you bringing it to our attention.

Riverfest is a busy festival for the city and we do our best to accommodate all guest requests. Our shuttle is an airport dedicated shuttle which means, the airport runs are the valet's primary responsibility. If we can take other requests we do our best, but if we receive a call from the airport, they must report there first. I'm sorry if it was explained to you any other way.

As for the other glitches in your stay, they are definitely not typical for us. We hope you will return to see the great job we are capable of providing.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

I first stayed in the Hilton Wilmington Riverside back when it was just the Wilmington Hilton, in about 1978. It was a great location then, and it is even better now ... no, of course, it hasn't moved, but there are more opportunities in the surrounding area for dining, shopping and entertainment ... even a dog grooming and spa within a block or two!
All rooms either face the Cape Fear River, and therefore have a view of the USS North Carolina, the battleship permanently moored there as a museum, or of the city skyline, which is pleasant also. Within easy walking distance are many pubs, restaurants -- especially down the boardwalk along the river, within a few minutes you'll find several excellent choices for dining. Across Front Street is the Cotton Exchange, renovated warehouses with crafts, clothing, jewelry, dining, (check out the hot dog shop, what a variety!) wines, etc. Easy to spend a day exploring the downtown streets.
Service within the hotel was excellent in my opinion -- my daughter and grandson joined me on my second night there, staff made sure she had a parking permit and a key awaiting her when they arrived late at night.
In my opinion, it is the best all around place to stay in Wilmington, unless you just need to be in the area of the university; it's not really convenient to UNCW. Decent outdoor pool. My daughter enjoyed the area so much that she's planning another weekend visit there.
Plenty of parking available, valet parking is available too.
Only downsides: breakfast is not complimentary, and my room did not have a fridge, microwave or room safe -- don't know about others.

Room Tip: Ask for the riverview, if that's what you want, and a higher floor is a better view -- it's...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

What a wonderful review. Thank you for your business, we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

I stay at this Hilton Property during every trip to Wilmington. The guest service is Superb and one of a kind. They always go out of their way for me and make me feel like family. I really appreciate Erica, at the front desk because she is always accomdating! The General Manager, Michael, has always made me feel welcomed at his hotel and always asked how my stay was during Breakfast. The breakfast buffet is delicious and ammenties are five star. I am a restaurant corporate inspector and I have hight standars. The rooms here are always sparkling and white glove clean. I highly recommend this place to stay to anyone who visiting the area. Thanks...

Room Tip: For sure ask for the River Side View.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Thank you so much for your business and your taking the time to post a review. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

The location is excellent. Good places to eat within walking and water taxis right at the hotel. The hotel has a free airport shuttle and free internet. For a Hilton, the free internet is a plus. It worked well. The bathroom in my room is aged and in need of renovation. Drainage issues in the sink was repaired on day 3. The bathtub - slow. It takes about 5 minutes before the water warms in the shower. The old tub and low level lighting in the bathroom just needs some help.
The bed was comfortable, tv was excellent, ac was excellent. As with a lot of hotels, no daily newspaper at your door. These were free in the lobby.
As noted in some other posts, there is no bar in the hotel. I assume there was one in the Ruth Chris Steakhouse - but, did not venture in there. There is a lobby coffee set up that included a few beer choices. I think Hilton is missing out on a revenue opportunity.
The hotel is really very good for the experience - but I rate hotels based on the value and after added taxes - this is an average stay for what you pay.

1  Thank engineer64

Thank you for your recent stay. We appreciate all the feedback.
To answer your question, yes, there is a full bar & lounge in Ruth's Chris.

The Hilton Brand has gotten away from newspapers at the door. The USA Today that you would normally find at your door are now available online when you turn on the complementary internet. If you prefer paper, they are available at the desk.

Once again thank you and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

Good Location Good Curb Side Appeal. Interior is like 100 years old; Rooms were terrible. Paid $329 for a suite that was worst than staying in a days inn. Staff is okay they did not even had my HHonors on the reservation so no special welcome or room upgrade or thank for the business.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for your stay, I am sorry you felt that the accommodations were dated. We had a full renovation five years ago and we continually upgrade areas of the hotel that need it. We have replaced all the carpeting, installed a new business center, repaved the pool deck and we have some amazing plans for 2014. We hope you will return soon to see the great changes.