“Enjoyed My One Night”

Hilton Wilmington Riverside
Ranked #19 of 45 Hotels in Wilmington
Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I went for an overnight trip to Wilmington. This hotel had been recommended to us by a friend. Check-in was easy. The room was comfortable and relatively spacious. There was a big stain on the carpet beside the bed that was a little disgusting. The bathroom was nice but there was not an abundance of towels. We had a river view which was nice. The gift shop was tiny and inadequate for gifts. Magazines and snacks were fairly limited. We discovered breakfast by accident since we were not told about it at check-in. Breakfast was good but not wonderful. The buffet was not kept we'll stocked so that I had to wait and catch waitstaff to resupply it. I did not find it nearly good enough for the $30+ it cost. I previously had a very similar breakfast at a less expensive hotel that came with the stay. The location was great as there were lots of interesting shops and restaurants within walking distance. All in all, this was not the hotel I would have expected a Hilton to be. But the stay was okay, and it gave us the affordable opportunity to enjoy the area.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Bloozy
WilmingtonHiltonGM, General Manager at Hilton Wilmington Riverside, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Thank you for you recent stay and review. I apologize for your breakfast experience and I will notify the Food and Beverage team so that they may remedy this immediately.

Thank you again and we hope you will will come see us again soon.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Wilmington Riverside

Reviewed July 24, 2013

Stayed here as it was the host hotel for a recently attended conference.

Location is great....it is riverfront on the Cape Fear River, in the historic district, with a number of shops and restaurants nearby within walking distance. It is also a short distance from the convention center, which was an easy walk either on Water street or Riverwalk (boardwalk).

Check in was quick, although the young lady who assisted me offered little information. Despite having a bed and breakfast rate, it was not until I asked would I need anything for breakfast in the morning that she wrote up my breakfast coupons. Even then, she did not bother to explain where the restaurant was located (there is the main floor lobby, which has a restaurant (Ruth's Chris) then the hotel restaurant is on the ground floor.

Breakfast was OK. The variety was good. I was waited on by Cindy twice (on two different mornings). She was extremely friendly, efficient, and I was very pleased with my service with her. One morning, I was waited on by someone (I cannot remember her name, but her tag said supervisor)....ironically, she provided the most inefficient, mediocre service (I was there for 5 days, 4 nights). Not sure why she is the supervisor because Cindy is much more pleasant and efficient.

My room (king bed) was fairly spacious. It was an average room.... Nothing spectacular (I had a city view). I could also hear a lot of noise in the hall when people were outside of their rooms congregating, but it was quiet once they went inside their rooms (and I did not hear anything else from the rooms above or around mine). The room was clean, but the hotel is in need of a renovation. Bed was somewhat uncomfortable and the bed frame appeared warped/broken.

My rate (including breakfast) and parking was $200 per night....I think it is over priced for what it offered.

I would stay he again if It were the conference hotel again, but if given a choice, I would research other hotels in the area.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank carolinasunshine13

Thank you for your recent stay and review. We appreciate the input and I will let our Food & Beverage department know of your experience in the restaurant as well as housekeeping for the bed frame issue. I apologize you did not feel the beds were comfortable, they are Hilton's Standard bedding program and the mattresses are new, however we will investigate to see if this needs to be replaced.

Thank you again, we hope you will return with the next conference.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

The Hilton is at a great spot to lots of stores and restaurants. It has beautiful water views and of the Battleship. The hotel was very clean and the room had a nice layout. A few negatives is that the lobby is not at ground level so you must walk up stairs or a ramp everytime you enter and leave the hotel and you have to pay to park. I would recommend this hotel because it is clean, and at a great location.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay. Unfortunately because of our situation in downtown, parking fees are a necessary evil, but we do our best to ensure all of our overnight guests are able to park on site. Thank you for the great review and we hope you will return soon.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Hotel is good and comfortable. Staff is friendly. Excellent location. Did not like the fact that smoking is allowed everywhere, outdoors. Every time we left the building, we were met with someone smoking directly outside. Should take a hint from Hawaii destination hotels, smoking is strictly isolated to one or two outdoor spots, away from hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank Chris A

Thank you for your recent stay and your review. We appreciate the feedback and will look at designating smoking areas, great idea. Thank you again, we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

After long hours of driving we were welcomed by a friendly bellmen staff which made check effortless. Our room was very clean and comfortable. We had double beds and a view that over- looked the river and the USS North Carolina. Our kids, 8 and 6, were thrilled with the view and the newly renovated pool. Before leaving for dinner we mentioned to the front desk that our shower light was out, the TV was not working, and we would like a few more towels. When we returned from dinner we found fresh towels and the TV and shower light working. We had only expected the towels and were pleasantly surprised when the other things were fixed. We will definitely stay at this hotel the next time we are in Wilmington.

Room Tip: For nice views request facing the river.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
WilmingtonHiltonGM, General Manager at Hilton Wilmington Riverside, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Thank you for your recent stay and review. We hope you enjoyed your stay with your family and hopefully you got to experience all of the wonderful things Wilmington has to offer. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Being a Hilton Diamond member I have stayed at many of the Hilton brand hotels all over the country, and world. When it comes to the Hilton hotels you expect a higher level of experience. This hotel was very old and outdated. The carpets felt and looked nasty and the paint job in the room needed to be touched up. I'm trying not to be picky but when a Hampton Inn in Wilmington beats out a Hilton on Tripadvisor, there is a problem. There is a reason this hotel is number 18 out of 42. My main issue was one evening while trying to enjoy the swimming pool, about 50-60 hoodlums showed up blasting rap music on speakers that were as big as I am tall. You couldn't hear yourself think it was so loud. I was really confused on what was going on since 95% of them were not in swimming atire, rather in blue jeans hanging off their backside showing everyone thier underwear. When I complained to the front desk, I was told that there was a "Fashion Show" going on until 9 PM. I didn't see any "Fashion Show" going on unless the "Fasion Show" was all about 20-23 year old male boxers. Keep in mind that these "Fasion Show" attendees were not staying at he hotel, they lived in Wilmington and were only there for the "Party". So in allowing them to use the pool area, the actual hotel guests couldn't find a chair by the pool or relax if they did find a chair. I don't think I would ever be back to this hotel, or allow anybody I know to stay there. HORRIBLE

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Robert R

Thank you for your recent stay and for being a Diamond Member. I apologize for what you encountered at the pool. That event was not what was contracted and when we were made aware of it, we shut it down. I know that doesn't change your experience and I am sorry about that. We do hope you will return to see this is not typical of our property.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Went down to Wilmington to celebrate our birthday, stayed in a one bedroom suite that was great, the only thing negative about the suite was that there was no walk in shower, not even a handheld shower. Views was great overlooking pool and Cape fear river. The problems that occured was that when we came to check in, nobody came over to help us with our luggage, and we did have have a lot since we were travelling with little kids. We moved our bags to the other side and waited for some time. Nobody took notice and we finally asked the staff for some help, but nobody had time for us. Finally we started to carry everything thru the lobby to the elevator when one of bellmen came ,but he just walked by us. I asked if he would mind assisting us, and so he did. It took us 30 minutes to get our luggage to the room. During our stay we had to go down and switch out our keycard 5 times, and we did keep them away from cellphones,computers etc. Breakfast buffet was great, especially Cindy, what a wonderful person, superfriendly and very cheerful. Really good and large selections of breakfast food also.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank oregongirl62

Thank you for your recent stay and review. I apologize for your arrival experience, that is very unusual behavior for our bell staff and we will address it immediately. We hope you had a great time and we look forward to your return.