“Not worth the price”

Ranked #18 of 44 Hotels in Wilmington
Apex, North Carolina
“Not worth the price”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I stayed at another hotel the night before I stayed here that was one block away. That hotel was cheaper and the room was much nicer. The room was a standard king room, "historic" side. Just so you know there's nothing historic about a parking garage directly in front of the hotel. Nice try Hilton. The riverview rooms I'm sure have a better view but there are no balconies.

This room is SMALL!!! The bathroom is one of the smallest bathrooms I've ever been in and the lighting in the bathroom is horrid!!! I mean, it's dim in there. My husband and I couldn't fit in the bathroom at the same time. The shower head was also covered in mildew and that just grosses me out. Other than that it was fine. I would stay here again if the cheaper, bigger, nicer hotel is fully booked but for the most part....why pay more for less?

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
WilmingtonHiltonGM, General Manager at Hilton Wilmington Riverside, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Thank you for staying with us at our hotel. We appreciate your honesty. We look for reviews to provide insight into our hotel and our guest room is an area. I apologize for your unsatisfactory stay and will address the issues you experienced with the appropriate staff so we do not have them again. We look forward to your return.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
North Carolina
Reviewed October 3, 2012

This property reminds me of another Hilton that I stayed in recently in Linthicum MD, which also needed an upfit. This hotel is in a great location so a facelift would be to its great benefit. Unfortunately there were too many small and not-so-small things that added up to an experience that was only mediocre. I stayed at the Hilton Riverside for 3 nights on business.

Front desk staff were friendly, courteous and helpful. Check-in was quick and uneventful.

Upon arrival the linens were all clean and fresh and the room as a whole appeared to be clean. The beds are comfortable and there is a selection of pillows from which to choose for your sleeping pleasure.

The fitness room is very well appointed. I used a treadmill two nights and although the fitness TV on the TM didn’t work that’s not a big issue for me as I use my iPhone and iTunes during workouts.

Hot water in my room was a serious issue. It took a good five minutes for the bath water to heat to the point of being tolerable on the first night. The next morning it heated pretty quickly but then again each successive night it took quite a while to warm up. There are permanent mold stains on the shower walls. The shower curtain is in need of replacement. It was difficult to tell if the dark slate floors in the bathroom and foyer were clean.

Housekeeping was inconsistent. The bath mat was not changed out one night. The rubber tub mat was left on the floor one night. Dirty glasses and used paper cups were not changed out on two nights.

The room where all of our conference sessions were held was so cold you could hang meat. Seriously, the temperature in the room the second day couldn’t have been above 60 degrees F for the morning sessions. After several complaints from conference attendees, maintenance finally warmed it up a bit in the room. This was a colossal waste of energy.

I went back to my room to watch the first presidential debate to discover my TV didn’t work properly. I was about to call the front desk when I turned it off and back on which corrected the problem for the time being.

The catered meals were so-so, just what you’d expect from hotel food at a business conference. I did not eat at any of the hotel restaurants but there is a Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse embedded with the property.

In general, this property could use a makeover. It’s obviously an older property and Hilton attempts to compensate for it’s lack of maintenance with little touches like hammered silver trays and wastebaskets in the rooms. As I said, it’s in a great location but I’d choose a Hampton Inn not on the waterfront over this property if I were paying for it myself. Speaking of paying, the rates are outrageous considering the age of the hotel. Conference rates were $149/night and this is on the shoulder season. Parking is an additional $6/night. Having to pay for parking at a hotel in a small market like Wilmington is ridiculous.

Stay here if you wish to be on the water and can abide annoying and irritating little issues throughout your stay. Hopefully, as with the Linthicum, MD property, this hotel is due a makeover soon.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
WilmingtonHiltonGM, General Manager at Hilton Wilmington Riverside, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Thank you for your recent stay and your feed back. I was disappointed to hear of the some of the issues you experienced. It is our goal to for everyone have an enjoyable experience and when that does not happen, we do appreciate guests informing us. I have forwarded your comments to the appropriate team members and we personally ensure that these are handled.

We do hope that you will return soon, so that you can enjoy a fantastic stay in our beautiful city.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I stayed here for two nights for a conference at the nearby Convention Center. The location is good - easy access from 40 and walking distance to Front Street and to the Convention Center. (Although the River Walk doesn't really work in heels!)

The hotel itself was average - it smelled a bit like the seaside/river (ie, damp) and the bathrooms were aged, but everything was very clean. Rooms had good TV, coffee/tea and free wifi. Beds were comfortable.

The front desk team provided good service - very friendly and they even happily changed my room for me when I complained about the noise from the room next door. For that I give them an extra point! I ended up in room 933 - it was quiet, facing the river with a good view of the battleship.

Room Tip: Ask for the 9th floor, river view
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
WilmingtonHiltonGM, General Manager at Hilton Wilmington Riverside, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Thank you for your recent stay and your feedback. We hope you enjoyed your conference and I will forward your positive comments to our Front Desk Team.

Thank you again and we look forward to your return.
Statesville, North Carolina
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I wish I could upload more pictures I have 9 total. I have just paid just over two-hundred to stay in a room that is not worth the money. There are several hotels in the area for one hundred. It's late I check in,,,,Get to room door is not latched???? What the...? First pix is of the bathroom. Peeling paint on ceiling throughout bath, peeling wallpaper, unattached tiles, mildew, light out, hair on wall, hair hanging from vent, shower head not attached to wall. In the room the phone doesn't work and across the room the phone jack is ripped from wall and something that looks very soft and fuzzy...is it a pet? it looks so soft. Wait! It a huge dust bunny. Ever dust Hilton?

Room Tip: The elevators are to the right of the counter. Staff didn't even offer to point them out. We w...
1 Thank hsue12
Thank you for your recent stay and your review.
I apologize you did not have a pleasant stay and I thank you for letting us know. I was disappointed to see the pictures, however it does give us an opportunity to improve.

The condition of your room is not typical for us and when this happens we appreciate guests bringing it to our attention so that we can address it.

We do sincerely hope you will return and give us an opportunity to show you what a great experience we are capable of providing.
Boone, North Carolina
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Older structure with convenient location. Friendly service. Great nearby German Cafe had great food and atmosphere. Really should have complementary morning coffee. Fitness room is severely lacking. Price was a bit high for quality. Bathroom needs renovation, public restrooms near conference rooms were very small and inconveniently located.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
WilmingtonHiltonGM, General Manager at Hilton Wilmington Riverside, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
We are glad you got to visit us for your conference. We are very proud of our location and staff and we are glad you got to enjoy both.

I would be curious to hear what you felt was lacking in the fitness center- was there a specific piece of equipment you felt we should have? We have a state of the art 24 hour pre-cor fitness center featuring the best equipment. I am always open to suggestions on how to make it better for our customers.

Thank you again and we look forward to your return.
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

Wilmington, NC has a serious deficiency when it comes to desireable hotels in great locations. At one time, the Hilton Riverside was the gem in the crown of Wilmington hospitality. It has been 9 years since I last stayed at this property and in that time the old girl has aged badly.
ROOMS: old, particularly the bathrooms. The furniture has been updated but the bathrooms are a wreck. Old tubs, old toilets, grungy shower curtains (another guest's hair stuck to it), stained grout, and frighteningly bad lighting. Hallways have clearly been painted in trendy green colors but with the low ceilings and bad lighting it simply looks institutional. Beds comfy- until I found a stain on my last morning along with a mysterious hair (not mine) on the duvet. Room was pretty small with thin walls- but hey, I could clearly hear the guy next to me screaming at the tv while rooting for his favorite sports team so that was pleasant while trying to sleep.

FOOD: thank goodness for the miracle of Ruth's Chris. It saves this hotel. The food there is, like all Ruth's Chris restaurants, fabulous. Expect it to be pricey- my dinner alone night one was $93 with tip and night two with only wine, oysters, and lobster bisque was $44. I'm a foodie, so it was worth it to me. The other restaurant, Innovations, had an 88 sanitation rating so sorry, not about to go there.

COMMON AREAS: cold. Turn down the air conditioning. I heard 7 people complaining how cold common areas and meeting rooms are kept.
I entered the hotel from the lower right lot through a side door leading to a stairwell- there was a cup of tea or coffee sitting inside the door that was so old mold was growing on the surface of the liquid. Nice. Weird, loud music in elevator. Lame, poorly stocked gift shop. Pool area was visited by several palmetto bugs (aka roaches) around sunset. My friend who was visiting this hotel with me this weekend lives in Savannah where these bugs flourish and even she stated that it was clear they didn't spray adequately to deter these annoying bugs.

SERVICE: nothing to write home about. Front desk wasn't overly welcoming and didn't ask if I could use bellman service so I assumed there wasn't any; as such, I struggled with my own heavy bags. Generally average service with the exception of the awesome service at Ruth's Chris. Other hotel staff was unable to keep hot water for tea or hot coffee freshly replenished in conference rooms. Nothing worse than cold coffee and tea.

Overall: Sad. The location is great but I can't imagine voluntarily staying here again. Too run down with lackluster service.

• Stayed September 2012
3 Thank GirlOnAGlobe
Thank you for your recent business. I was disappointed to hear you did not have an exceptional experience during your stay. We strive to provide the best stay for all of our guests and when that doesn't happen we appreciate you bringing it to our attention.

I will forward your comments to the appropriate departments and will personally ensure these issues are remedied immediately.

I do hope you will return to give us the opportunity to provide you with a great stay.
Georgia
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Nice Hilton property; friendly service and great location. River view rooms are worth it; opened the window blinds and found myself looking directly across the river at the retired battleship USS North Carolina! Late afternoon enjoyed the sunset reflection on the river. Short walks along the boardwalk to numerous restaurants. Ruth's Chris steakhouse located on the hotel property as well. Very pleased with my stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review and recent stay. We are glad you had a great stay and enjoyed yourself. It is true the sunsets are breathtaking over the Cape Fear River. Hopefully you will return soon to see another one.