“Good service but average amenities”

Hilton Wilmington Riverside
Ranked #18 of 44 Hotels in Wilmington
Seattle, Washington
“Good service but average amenities”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

I stayed here for two nights for a conference at the nearby Convention Center. The location is good - easy access from 40 and walking distance to Front Street and to the Convention Center. (Although the River Walk doesn't really work in heels!)

The hotel itself was average - it smelled a bit like the seaside/river (ie, damp) and the bathrooms were aged, but everything was very clean. Rooms had good TV, coffee/tea and free wifi. Beds were comfortable.

The front desk team provided good service - very friendly and they even happily changed my room for me when I complained about the noise from the room next door. For that I give them an extra point! I ended up in room 933 - it was quiet, facing the river with a good view of the battleship.

Room Tip: Ask for the 9th floor, river view
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
WilmingtonHiltonGM, General Manager at Hilton Wilmington Riverside, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Thank you for your recent stay and your feedback. We hope you enjoyed your conference and I will forward your positive comments to our Front Desk Team.

Thank you again and we look forward to your return.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
Statesville, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

I wish I could upload more pictures I have 9 total. I have just paid just over two-hundred to stay in a room that is not worth the money. There are several hotels in the area for one hundred. It's late I check in,,,,Get to room door is not latched???? What the...? First pix is of the bathroom. Peeling paint on ceiling throughout bath, peeling wallpaper, unattached tiles, mildew, light out, hair on wall, hair hanging from vent, shower head not attached to wall. In the room the phone doesn't work and across the room the phone jack is ripped from wall and something that looks very soft and fuzzy...is it a pet? it looks so soft. Wait! It a huge dust bunny. Ever dust Hilton?

Room Tip: The elevators are to the right of the counter. Staff didn't even offer to point them out. We w...
1 Thank hsue12
Thank you for your recent stay and your review.
I apologize you did not have a pleasant stay and I thank you for letting us know. I was disappointed to see the pictures, however it does give us an opportunity to improve.

The condition of your room is not typical for us and when this happens we appreciate guests bringing it to our attention so that we can address it.

We do sincerely hope you will return and give us an opportunity to show you what a great experience we are capable of providing.
Boone, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

Older structure with convenient location. Friendly service. Great nearby German Cafe had great food and atmosphere. Really should have complementary morning coffee. Fitness room is severely lacking. Price was a bit high for quality. Bathroom needs renovation, public restrooms near conference rooms were very small and inconveniently located.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
WilmingtonHiltonGM, General Manager at Hilton Wilmington Riverside, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
We are glad you got to visit us for your conference. We are very proud of our location and staff and we are glad you got to enjoy both.

I would be curious to hear what you felt was lacking in the fitness center- was there a specific piece of equipment you felt we should have? We have a state of the art 24 hour pre-cor fitness center featuring the best equipment. I am always open to suggestions on how to make it better for our customers.

Thank you again and we look forward to your return.
Charlotte, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

Wilmington, NC has a serious deficiency when it comes to desireable hotels in great locations. At one time, the Hilton Riverside was the gem in the crown of Wilmington hospitality. It has been 9 years since I last stayed at this property and in that time the old girl has aged badly.
ROOMS: old, particularly the bathrooms. The furniture has been updated but the bathrooms are a wreck. Old tubs, old toilets, grungy shower curtains (another guest's hair stuck to it), stained grout, and frighteningly bad lighting. Hallways have clearly been painted in trendy green colors but with the low ceilings and bad lighting it simply looks institutional. Beds comfy- until I found a stain on my last morning along with a mysterious hair (not mine) on the duvet. Room was pretty small with thin walls- but hey, I could clearly hear the guy next to me screaming at the tv while rooting for his favorite sports team so that was pleasant while trying to sleep.

FOOD: thank goodness for the miracle of Ruth's Chris. It saves this hotel. The food there is, like all Ruth's Chris restaurants, fabulous. Expect it to be pricey- my dinner alone night one was $93 with tip and night two with only wine, oysters, and lobster bisque was $44. I'm a foodie, so it was worth it to me. The other restaurant, Innovations, had an 88 sanitation rating so sorry, not about to go there.

COMMON AREAS: cold. Turn down the air conditioning. I heard 7 people complaining how cold common areas and meeting rooms are kept.
I entered the hotel from the lower right lot through a side door leading to a stairwell- there was a cup of tea or coffee sitting inside the door that was so old mold was growing on the surface of the liquid. Nice. Weird, loud music in elevator. Lame, poorly stocked gift shop. Pool area was visited by several palmetto bugs (aka roaches) around sunset. My friend who was visiting this hotel with me this weekend lives in Savannah where these bugs flourish and even she stated that it was clear they didn't spray adequately to deter these annoying bugs.

SERVICE: nothing to write home about. Front desk wasn't overly welcoming and didn't ask if I could use bellman service so I assumed there wasn't any; as such, I struggled with my own heavy bags. Generally average service with the exception of the awesome service at Ruth's Chris. Other hotel staff was unable to keep hot water for tea or hot coffee freshly replenished in conference rooms. Nothing worse than cold coffee and tea.

Overall: Sad. The location is great but I can't imagine voluntarily staying here again. Too run down with lackluster service.

• Stayed September 2012
3 Thank GirlOnAGlobe
Thank you for your recent business. I was disappointed to hear you did not have an exceptional experience during your stay. We strive to provide the best stay for all of our guests and when that doesn't happen we appreciate you bringing it to our attention.

I will forward your comments to the appropriate departments and will personally ensure these issues are remedied immediately.

I do hope you will return to give us the opportunity to provide you with a great stay.
Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

Nice Hilton property; friendly service and great location. River view rooms are worth it; opened the window blinds and found myself looking directly across the river at the retired battleship USS North Carolina! Late afternoon enjoyed the sunset reflection on the river. Short walks along the boardwalk to numerous restaurants. Ruth's Chris steakhouse located on the hotel property as well. Very pleased with my stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review and recent stay. We are glad you had a great stay and enjoyed yourself. It is true the sunsets are breathtaking over the Cape Fear River. Hopefully you will return soon to see another one.
Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

Try to get an upper level room for best views of the river. You'll enjoy the river walk and nearby restaurants, but bring the wallet. Eating at the hotel is expensive and breakfast is not free.
Location for exploring downtown is very good. Parking at the hotel will cost you and it's also not very convenient if you need to go back and forth to your car.

Room Tip: upper floors on river side have best view
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent stay. We are lucky enough to boast a fantastic location and are centrally located to many shops, restaurants and historic landmarks. We hope you enjoyed yourself and we look forward to your return.
new york city
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012

Wilmington, NC is a great city to visit if you are interested in Confederate history. Its riverside area and historic downtown have been beautifully restored. There are several lovely Inns that offer more of an intimate flavor of the city than a big, corporate Hilton. But if you prefer big box hotels, or are traveling with children, the Hilton is a good place to stay. It is well located in the popular riverside area, is clean, modern, and has all the amenties of a big and impersonal. hotel.

Room Tip: ask for river front view high floor
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
WilmingtonHiltonGM, General Manager at Hilton Wilmington Riverside, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Thank you for your recent stay and positive review. We agree that Wilmington is rich in history and a wonderful place to visit with family. We are lucky enough to boast a fantastic location in the heart of it all. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your return.