“The flounder is to die for”

Brasserie du Soleil
Ranked #46 of 668 Restaurants in Wilmington
Cuisines: French, Bar, European
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Wallace, North Carolina
“The flounder is to die for”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014

My wife and I love this restaurant for its sautéed flounder. The service is always good and the outdoor seating is very pleasant. Give it a try.

• Visited April 2014

“Delicious meal!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014

I enjoy coming here when I'm in town. It's a fun restaurant and somewhat noisy, so I go with friends and don't expect to have a quiet evening. The food is good, but most of it is not terribly healthy. Be sure to give this a try if you have time in your trip. It's in a neat area of town with lots of little shops close by.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank SandEseetheworld
Wilmington, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Worst service experience I have ever had”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2014

Brasserie Du Soleil was one of my favorite restaurants in Wilmington. Last night I went to have one of their awesome salads and some wine with a few friends. Three of us ordered salads and within 1 minute of each other, we each found a hair in our salads!! I am usually not one to say anything but we notified our server and she took the salads away. The manager came out to apologize and told us they were "looking to find the problem with the greens" and then would remake our salads. Since they were still searching for the problem and with our appetites for a salad gone, we informed them we would like to order something else and we were told no problem. At the end of the night, the bill came and we were charged for our entire check (minus the tarnished salads). We felt it was poor service for us to have to pay for the new food we ordered when we were under the impression it would be a replacement free of charge. We brought this to the manager's attention and were extremely nice, even offering to pay for the wine we had. The manager was extremely rude and made us feel that it was our fault for the entire mix up and issues with the food. We ended up having to pay for half of our bill. I have never in my life experienced such poor customer service. I have always loved this restaurant group but the way we were treated has resulted in them losing my patronage. I want to inform others (something I normally would not go out of my way to do) because I feel like this treatment was so ridiculous. You should never leave a restaurant feeling that you did something wrong when the issues were all on their side and they were completely rude.

• Visited April 2014
Holly Springs, North Carolina, United States
“Nothing like a wonderful little lunch with your little girls.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2014 via mobile

On a wonderful little day trip down to the beach, we had to stop at our favorite French Cafe. It is exactly as it advertised. It is a French cafe. The food is like a French cafe. The service is like a French cafe. The environment, again, it's like a French cafe. We like sitting outside under the fan next to the pond. What they have seating in door, and outdoor, and my son. Services relax, and quite wonderful. The expensive compared to the local community, you get what you pay for, and I have no problem paying the price is at this restaurant because of the quality of food and service. This is not a French restaurant, do not think that this is the French restaurant style service. It is a cafe, and an outstanding one.

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Weirdly disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2014

I was on a quick vacation with a friend at Carolina Beach, and we got a steak craving; after poking around on TripAdvisor, Urban Spoon, etc., we excitedly headed to Brasserie du Soleil. Parking was easy, and we didn't need reservations. It's a pleasant space with pretty tin ceilings. We each ordered steak and French onion soup; I got a glass of wine.

Everything seemed to be going well, but then it was like our server, who had been friendly and seemed to have just one other table, disappeared. Someone else brought out the soup--if you order it, be aware that it is a HUGE bowl--I love onion soup but was not able to eat more than about a third of mine. It was good, though not exceptional.

Our dinners arrived, and everything was nice and hot. I enjoyed the frites--again, a huge portion--but was disappointed to find that my medium steak was actually more like well done. My friend had ordered hers medium rare, and it was also overcooked. Alas, nobody came to ask us how our meals were, so we decided to make the best of it. The Bordelaise sauce was tasty, but the steak itself, though large, seemed just ok to me.

I had been pleased at the start of our meal when the server left a carafe of water on our table, but I was dismayed later when nobody ever came by to refill it. After quite some time, I got up and went to ask someone outside the kitchen if we could get a bit more water--I wasn't grumpy about it at all. This request led to a bizarrely tense atmosphere that persisted for most of the evening (I'll spare you the details)--but although the server and the manager eventually apologized in a weirdly stiff way, nobody ever asked what we had thought of our dinner.

Long story short, I was really disappointed--this was an expensive meal, and the strange and inattentive service and not-too-great steak made it less enjoyable than it might have been. My friend and I are both extremely easygoing and friendly, and I can't think how we would have offended anybody. Perhaps it was just an off night. But next time I'm in the Wilmington area, I plan to try one of the other French places instead.

• Visited March 2014