“Fabulous. The hotel is in a great location and the staff is wonderful!”

Hampton Inn Wilmington-University Area/Smith Creek Station
Ranked #3 of 45 Hotels in Wilmington
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Fitness center has state of the art equipment and is always clean. It's not too far from the beach but also close to restaurants and shopping. The interstate (I 40) is only a few miles away. The staff is always smiling and willing to assist you if needed.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

stayed here business in feb lots of restaurants great staff newer hotel I love the walk in big shower with no tub. breakfast was pretty good little hard to get to. the staff really set this place apart from other places I travel for business a lot and they went out of there way to help you

Reviewed February 16, 2013

Stayed here before and will continue to return. Great place, located close to ILM and lots of restaurants.
Friendly staff, clean, fresh and well kept rooms and common spaces.

If your in Wilmington make it your Hampton of choice.

Bob

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Stayed here with out a reservation.. Had no problems with check in or check out.. the breakfast is very good! always fresh coffee available.. I was a little disappointed with the price... Great location!

Room Tip: didnt hve any problems
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I stayed at this property for two nights in January 2013. I was pretty much ready to write it off as average,but how they closed out my stay definitely "upped" their rating.

First, they price is good, but not great. I was told after I checked in that I should have stayed downtown as the location is better, and the price is the same. After some research, they are right. BUT, for access to the main high-speed arteries in town, this is right in the middle, and that is a plus. Right smack dab in the middle is not always bad.

The rooms were clean, comfortable, and Hampton Inn predictable. I love predictable. It's not a bad thing, and with Hampton Inn, it's head start on the competition.Where they came up short is not predictably refilling my stash of coffee for the in-room cofffee maker. It may not seem like a big deal, until you realize that you need to head down to the lobby for coffee at 7 AM.

Since I was on the first floor, this is not a bad thing, right? But I was in a room within two doors of the end of the hall by the exit. I could hear the exit door open and close - EVERY SINGLE TIME. It quickly passed annoying and hit unbearable. After the first night I grabbed some earplugs so I would not have to change rooms. I HATE changing rooms.

So as I was preparing to slate this as a three star hotel (where 4 is the standard) they redeemed themselves. On my last night I moved to another Hilton property in the area where friends were staying. After checking in there, I realized I hurriedly checked out of the Hampton, and left my iPhone and iPad charger behind. I called the hotel and they not only had my chargers for me, but had them flagged to call me about sending them to my home. That's a home run, in my book.

So in the end, I'll happily recommend this hotel. Just don't grab a room within 3 doors of the exit.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near the end of the floor near the exits.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 1, 2013

A great inn for the night. I pulled into Wilmington about 5 PM. Not a great time to find restaurants open. But here I found a very nice room for a reasonable price. There was a very attractive lobby with an aquarium. The room was very nice. Breakfast was weak but the front desk person was doing breakfast duty also on Christmas morning. The bread was stale but there was fruit and hot oat meal. I commend the management for having sandwiches and drinks at the front desk. They worked in this pinch.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I returned to this hotel for my 5th consecutive Christmas in Wilmington. I also stay there once or twice during the year when I visit to watch one of my grandson's play baseball. The staff is always friendly and the hotel clean and inviting.

They serve a buffet breakfast each morning which is very good. I prefer a buffet for breakfast because I can get what I want when I want it taking as puch time as I want to read my newspaper . . . . . offered free in the lobby. I especially enjoy it if I happen to be there when the have sausage gravy and biscuits as a choice. It blows my diet but it's something that I don't often get a chance to eat . . . . . and I love it!

The hotel is located near UNCW and about 6 blocks from College Road where there is plenty of shopping including numerous big box stores. About 2 miles to the right as you leave the parking lot, you will find a big shopping center . . . Market Place . . . which also has a multi-screen movie theater. They even have IMAX. I make it a point to take my grandsons there each time I visit.

It's only about 10 minutes to Wrightsville Beach and 20 minutes to Carolina Beach . . . . . or less than 10 minutes to historic downtown Wilmington.

Try it. You'll like it.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Travelers also viewed these Wilmington hotels
SpringHill Suites Wilmington Mayfaire
Hilton Garden Inn Wilmington Mayfaire Town Center
Hampton Inn Wilmington Medical Park
Homewood Suites by Hilton Wilmington/Mayfaire
3 mi away
Hampton Inn & Suites Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach
Wingate by Wyndham Wilmington

Been to Hampton Inn Wilmington-University Area/Smith Creek Station? Share your experiences!