“Great B&B”

C.W. Worth House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 18 Wilmington B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We spent 3 days with Margi & Doug. The entire stay was wonderful. The room & house was neat & clean, breakfasts were great, and they were very helpful. Definitely would keep as our place to stay in Wilmington.
We stayed in Louisiana room, large space, & although the bathroom was small, we knew that ahead of time and it was not an issue. Margi & Doug answered all our questions in advance & told us to contact them if we would arrive early & if they were available we could check in.... we took advantage of that too.

1  Thank CD W

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed at the C.W. Worth House over Memorial Day weekend while attending a wedding in Wilmington. Usually, we just book the nearest hotel when traveling, but the wedding website listed several local B&Bs, so I thought I'd check them out. I had never stayed at a bed and breakfast before, but I do know they can be hit or miss sometimes. My boyfriend was very nervous, but after thoroughly investigating websites and tripadvisor reviews, I convinced him to book at C.W. Worth House. Needless to say, I knew I would be on the hook for anything that went wrong...Luckily, this place exceeded all of our expectations. I honestly cannot imagine a more relaxing stay. We were greeted by name upon our arrival, and our gracious hosts Margi and Doug introduced themselves. They were friendly and helpful, asking us if there was anything we wanted more information about and offering to make reservations for local attractions for us. They were quite knowledgeable about Wilmington, and let us know about several events that were taking place downtown during our stay. The second night we stayed, they hosted a BBQ with the mayor, captain of the USS North Carolina and other VIP guests, and they invited all of their guests.

Besides the charming hospitality, the house was gorgeous, clean, cool, quiet and comfortable. We stayed in the Jasmine room on the third floor, and it was exactly as pictured on the website. There was ample closet space, a great modern bathroom, a cute sitting area and little touches of comfort everywhere (CDs for the alarm clock, coffee table books, flashlights in the night stand, etc.) There was also a spacious lounge area just outside our room, with plush couches, games, a computer and dry bar with snacks, drinks, tea, coffee, etc. The porch, yard and garden were fabulous too- great outdoor spaces with benches and rocking chairs to relax, read, chat. Oh, and breakfast was DELICIOUS! A different kind of fruit and muffin to start every day and then an egg course with breakfast meat.

Overall, this place deserves five stars, two thumbs up. I will never stay anywhere else in Wilmington!

1  Thank Jennifer K
Reviewed May 4, 2013

My wife and I stayed for our first time at the CW Worth house a couple of weeks ago, absolutely loved it! Can walk to all the downtown restaurants and bars. The house is beautiful, breakfast was great and we are heading back Memorial day weekend!!!

2  Thank DrewSchenck
Reviewed April 28, 2013

My boyfriend and I have stayed twice this year for 2 nights at a time. The hosts Margie and Doug are friendly and very dedicated to providing everything we needed. The house is immaculately clean, beautiful and cozy. We enjoyed the 2nd floor back porch for afternoon tea and the 3rd floor sitting room for a movie at night. Breakfast is lavish and gourmet.Plus we loved being able to walk to the river, to restaurants and to shops. The neighborhood is beautful with many old stately homes.
Highly recommend.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Carmelina D
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We found our room to be the best part of our stay at CW Worth House; it was certainly the most spectacular we'd ever stayed in (and we looove our B&B's!). There was no one at the front desk when we arrived - on time - so we stood around for a bit with our bags; eventually one of us rang the doorbell and Margi and Doug came out. Upon checking in, we received a surprise 10% military discount which was awesome (and not mentioned on their site).

We received a kind of rushed tour and no mention of a wine hour (which there was, as we saw later)... However, in their defense, another couple we were travelling with had shown up before us & received a tour, so maybe they entrusted them to show us around?

Lots of around-the-clock refreshments (think packaged crackers, chips, etc) and a mini fridge stocked with sodas and bottled water in each hallway, pretty much within reaching distance from any room, which we were happy to see! As many B&B'ers may know, nothing is weirder than sneaking downstairs to the community fridge at 1am in your pajamas only to be greeted by the innkeeper, up late to do some cleaning or early breakfast preparation...

Now for the room- we absolutely fell in love with the Azalea room. It is in a turret adjacent to a corner of the house, so the main room is outlined by rounded walls/windows.. enough to make any lady feel like a princess in a castle! The bathroom and sitting room (more like a sun room - such big windows and gorgeous view!) were located in the "corner" of the house. The Azalea can be visualized from the outside of the house; it is on the second floor, all the way to the right (you can see the square sitting room off of the turret).

The bathroom was small but clean - loved the clawfoot tub. 1 bar of face soap was provided and I think that was it.. but in the shower there was a child's rubber ducky/bubble bath in the shower caddy (not romantic!) and a few random, miscellaneous store-bought travel-sized bottles of shampoo. I think the innkeepers should seriously consider investing in either a multi-use/refillable bottle of all-natural or luxury soap (eco-friendly and economic) or even just travel-sized luxury soap.

A note about many other rooms - slanted ceilings abound in this house, so be warned! The description of the Garden Room even suggests you consider another choice if you are over 6 feet tall - our friend have stayed in this room and the bathroom is shaped like a long hallway, but with extremely slanted ceilings the whole length of it - a little claustrophobic if you ask me! We also peeked into the Turret Room - a cramped, round room painted kind of gaudily with clouds... 3 out of 4 people in our group agreed this room was a little creepy.

As we were perusing the house, killing time before dinner, we were amazed by the unique display of antique cameras. It was at this time that we saw the wine on the table (only white was offered this evening). Margi asked where we were headed for dinner and when we told her, she replied with "oh." Taking this as a bad sign, I asked if it was a good place and she said "Oh yeah, I just had lunch there the other day, it's a great place." Maybe it's just me being spoiled by previous innkeepers, but a major selling point for me is not only the charm and big breakfasts found at B&Bs, but the innkeepers' insider knowledge of the local gems and surrounding areas. (I've been to places that not only ask where you're planning to go for dinner, not only recommend a restaurant but also make the reservation for you so you can relax! Now that's personalized service..)

Upon return to the B&B around 1-2am Margi was standing at the front desk - a nice touch that she stays up til all the guests are safely back (if that's what she was doing), but I felt a little weird like we were coming in "past curfew." I don't know, maybe I was just drunk and guilty.

Breakfast the next morning was just OK. They do not offer soymilk with coffee (it's 2013! Come on!) and the egg souffle was clearly store-bought but good. When I asked if she had made the sweet potato patty, she said it was store bought..which I guess was a good thing for her because it was like a disk of mashed sweet potato with an almost impenetrable crust. The innkeepers were not really present during breakfast, and the conversation was mostly run by an older veteran B&B/Wilmington couple (who would've made awesome innkeepers if you ask me).

My husband was also walking around outside, checking out the property and caught sight of a book through a window, entitled "Buying Customers." I'm positive every good B&B/hotel/inn/motel owner has one of these, but don't keep it where the people you are "buying" can see it! This left a little bit of a bad taste in my mouth, naturally.

All in all, we probably wouldn't stay here again unless we caught wind that the innkeepers stepped up their game. But I'll be dreaming of that Azalea room for years to come!

Room Tip: Azalea!!!! Beware of Garden Room (very sloped ceilings) and Turret (creepy creepy).
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank danielle786
Reviewed April 5, 2013

The C.W. Wentworth Inn and Bed and Breakfast is our new favorite home-away-from-home! It is a beautifully appointed inn in the heart of Wilmington's historic district. We are not particularly fond of too many accessories and the perfect balance has been reached at the Wentworth. Every time we had a need for something it was conveniently available....even a rubber ducky in the shower...hee hee! Inn keepers Margi and Doug are perfectly suited to this calling...friendly, accommodating and generous...plus, they are factastic chefs! Can't wait to return!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Our stay at the C. W. Worth House was only our second visit to a B & B. We were greeted warmly by hosts Margi and Doug and immediately offered an upgraded room. We stayed in the rose room, which was very spacious and elegant. The wicker sunroom attached to the bedroom offered a great sitting area to relax after a long drive. The bathroom was very well appointed and I really appreciated the magnifying mirror. Many upscale hotels do not offer so many amenities. Coffee and tea service, a beverage station and ice were just outside our door and a tv lounge was available on the next floor. Margi acquainted us with the town and local events and provided recommendations for dinner from her stack of local menus. Breakfast was delicious and we were invited to use the kitchen to prepare our lunch for the road as well as repack our cooler. We will definitely plan to stop here again next season.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple