“TERRIBLE!! DO NOT STAY HERE!”
Review of The Carolinian Inn

The Carolinian Inn
Ranked #43 of 44 Hotels in Wilmington
Lancaster, Pennsylvania, United States
“TERRIBLE!! DO NOT STAY HERE!”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights during the Body building Competition in Wilmington, NC. This was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. There were roaches in the rooms, and I even found a baby roach in my bed!! The complimentary breakfast was stale and did not look appetizing. The only plus to this hotel was the Balconys that you could sit on at night, BUT they were not cleaned and had spiders and pine needles all over the balcony. I asked the manager to have housekeeping sweep off my balcony and they told me that housekeeping was already done for the day and OFFERED ME A BROOM TO DO IT MYSELF! This was a $89.99 a night hotel! TERRIBLE TERRIBLE CUSOMTER SERVICE AND UP KEEP!! Everything was outdated and dingy.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank lovevegas88

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Asheville, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Older motel with some charm. Our room had a window corner that overlooked a small pool (9ft deep!) framed by two beautiful Live Oaks. The room was a bit stuffy with that old motel smell but it cleared up when we turned the AC up. Saturday night in the summer wasn't as lively as I'd feared. The motel is pretty convenient to bicycle routes and its a snap to get to Empie park and on to Starbucks and Whole Foods, Indepenedence Mall (if that's your scene) and the Post Office. Also, quick access to the battleship area and 421, 140. The motel also has an apartment with full kitchen, you have to ask.

Room Tip: Three wifi signals but mine kept dropping in rm 114.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank 2Whitakers
Harrisburg, N.C.
Reviewed May 25, 2013

I stayed in The Carolinian on May 23, 2013. My review is a little more favorable than some of the others. It was Thursday night, and I stayed at the weekday rate , which put me in a little over 50.00. The gentleman at the desk was very kind and accomodating. My room was fine, the bed was comfortable and was a king size bed. TV worked fine, and the air conditioner was ok also. Wifi worked fine, no problem there, as I use it in my work, although I was only in the room for 9 or 10 hours before moving on. The only small bump was that the tub did not want to drain in the shower, a minor inconvenience for those who take showers, but an inconvenience none the less. Based on my stay, I would go back and give it a shot again. It's not a chain, just kind of a quaint little place which I suppose has been there for 40 or 50 years. For the traveling salesman, I considered it a real good buy for the money.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Steve C
Erwin, North Carolina
Reviewed May 19, 2013

To begin with I called the hotel booked it for 59.99 a night. When I called to check in on Saturday they said the room was ready when we got there it want ready. I asked the lady if I could go ahead and pay my 59.99 she said excuse me but its 79.99 I said well the guy on the phone told me 59.99 she said she couldnt help that it was 79.99. The website told me 69.99 and she still wouldnt change the price. Her exact words were either you book online or pay 79.99. We even offered to show her the price online she refused to even look at the website. There was another lady that was behind me and she had the same issue. Then there was a man that was complaining saying the AC and the TV didnt work. The pool was out of service due to the health department closing it. On top of all that the Indian lady was very rude to us. NEVER NEVER NEVER STAY AGAIN!!!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Chris S
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I booked at this place because I only was spending one night and the price was good. Well you get what you pay for. There was an older gentlemen training a new employee behind the check-in desk that got really agitated and rude when another hotel guest came in asking to be let back in to his room because he got locked out and wanted cream and sugar. I felt embarrassed for the guest and the new employee. The room smelled heavy of mildew so much so I had to pop a couple of benedryls. At first glance I saw that it wasn't modern but it would do until I went to use the restroom and saw a dead bug on the floor. After washing my hands I reached for a washcloth and it had discussing stains on it. When I reached for the other one, it had a tight curly hair woven into it. The other towels where dingy. I pulled back the sheets on the bed and there where stains on the bottom sheet and pillow case. I went out and bought pillow cases and a towel. The light kept flickering in the room and it took almost 5 minutes for the bathroom light to come on. After all that I stayed there because it was late, I had driven more then 10 hours and had to drive back the next day. I would not recommend.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Tihaitien
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed September 23, 2012

My husband and i visit wilmington often . We have stayed at the carolianian on several occassions. It wasnt the greatest but it worked . On our last visit we arrived to find the pool shut down by the health department and we woke up and found out we had been ate up by bed bugs. beware!!!!

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank missy714
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I booked this hotel last minute. There was one room left and we got it. We checked in about 7 pm to get ready for the evening and then went downtown. We of course returned after 3 am. I pulled the covers back on my bed to find a comb laying in the bed. Of course it being 3 am, and us getting the last room, you would think there's nothing they could do about it. So when I woke up the next morning and went to check out, I brought it up to the person at the desk. I got the vibe that the person behind the counter was the owner, but did not say anything. I asked to speak to the manager and the guy asked me what the problem was, so I told him. He then told me the manager would be in tomorrow, that I could call and speak with him. Monday morning, I called and the same person at the counter when I checked out, is the same person that answered the phone. I knew this because of the accent. I told him I needed to speak with the manager and he asked me what about and I then told him again that I wanted to speak with the manager. He put the phone on hold for about 10 seconds and picked it back up. So I told him again, that I needed to speak with the manager. He then informed me he was the manager. At that point I became extremely angry to find out that I was just at the hotel the day before speaking with the manager face to face, as he lied to me. I of course brought that to his attention on the phone. When I told him my sheets had not been changed, he told me that it was a small hotel. Even more of a reason for the sheets to be changed correct? The manager ended up hanging up on me THREE times. I will sleep in my car before I ever consider staying in this disgusting place again. I still to this day cannot believe that a place is ran by such a poor manager.

• Stayed July 2012