“bed bugs”
Review of The Carolinian Inn

The Carolinian Inn
Ranked #44 of 45 Hotels in Wilmington
Reviewed September 23, 2012

My husband and i visit wilmington often . We have stayed at the carolianian on several occassions. It wasnt the greatest but it worked . On our last visit we arrived to find the pool shut down by the health department and we woke up and found out we had been ate up by bed bugs. beware!!!!

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank missy714

Reviewed September 21, 2012

I booked this hotel last minute. There was one room left and we got it. We checked in about 7 pm to get ready for the evening and then went downtown. We of course returned after 3 am. I pulled the covers back on my bed to find a comb laying in the bed. Of course it being 3 am, and us getting the last room, you would think there's nothing they could do about it. So when I woke up the next morning and went to check out, I brought it up to the person at the desk. I got the vibe that the person behind the counter was the owner, but did not say anything. I asked to speak to the manager and the guy asked me what the problem was, so I told him. He then told me the manager would be in tomorrow, that I could call and speak with him. Monday morning, I called and the same person at the counter when I checked out, is the same person that answered the phone. I knew this because of the accent. I told him I needed to speak with the manager and he asked me what about and I then told him again that I wanted to speak with the manager. He put the phone on hold for about 10 seconds and picked it back up. So I told him again, that I needed to speak with the manager. He then informed me he was the manager. At that point I became extremely angry to find out that I was just at the hotel the day before speaking with the manager face to face, as he lied to me. I of course brought that to his attention on the phone. When I told him my sheets had not been changed, he told me that it was a small hotel. Even more of a reason for the sheets to be changed correct? The manager ended up hanging up on me THREE times. I will sleep in my car before I ever consider staying in this disgusting place again. I still to this day cannot believe that a place is ran by such a poor manager.

• Stayed: July 2012
3  Thank Carolinagirl199012
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Ended up at the Carolinian after an awful experience down the street. I was so upset when I walked in - but the girl behind the counter said she'd be glad to help. Really friendly and helpful - saying she had dealt with 2 other escapees from the nightmare hotel next door.
She gave us a huge room with a balcony. It was - okay. But for $90 could have been a lot better. Just not a great part of Wilmington - I would not bring children here.
It was clean but old and dark - looked like they were working on updating parts of the hotel. The AC unit rattled LOUDLY all night and didn't work real well.
In the morn - the continental breakfast was cold cereal. All the donuts and apples were gone by 9am. But check out was pleasant.

Room Tip: Go further into Wilmington - not the best area, period.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 7, 2012

My wife and I enjoyed a long weekend at this refurbished motel and found it to be well equipped and clean --and quite convenient to downtown Wilmington. It was also not far from Wrightsville Beach, where we always dine on outstanding seafood at the Oceanic on the beach. This is a no-frills motel that's just right as a base of operations for tourists who want to spend most of their time out and about in the area. The only negative we would point out is the towels, which were rough and thin. In any event, we would not hesitate to recommend this place to friends and family.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Room had an odor that was not very pleasant. Lights did not work. Room not very clean. Pool was dirty. We had planned to stay several nights but cut our stay to the one night and moved on. I am sure the Inn would be fine for college students but I did not want my family staying there.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 20, 2012

For 50 dollars a night, this has to be a good value hotel with a large, clean room, including a refrigerator and good AC. The bed was large and comfortable and although this is a very basic hotel, there is little to actually complain about. The towels are of poor quality, but that is no major hardship, and the breakfast is minimal: cereal, bananas and some cinnamon cakes with coffee and orange juice. Not great admittedly, but it sufficed.

We enjoyed reading around the outside pool on the evening and whilst we accepted that this was basic accommodation, we enjoyed our stay here and the Wilmington area as well. We stayed for two nights.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 4, 2012

I dont even think i can rate this hotel. All the reviews I read were nice and made me wanted to stay once i got here the nite clerk JACK was rude as hell. I made the comment I would not stay here again and was told by the clerk "well you dont have to stay here now" 1st n foremost the customer is always rite. I had reserved 2 rooms side by side and one of my rooms was given away. One room had boogers all over the bathroom wall the other room smelled of something dead. The phones didnt work in either room and the remotes for the tv either didnt have batteries or the volume control didnt work. the AC took forever to cool the room off. The only plus was that the bathroom was a nice size and the shower was wonderful with the water temp. The beds are comfortable in the 2story building which is high priced then the other rooms. But because I was reserved for 2 rooms and the nite clerk gave one away per saying his manager said check in after midnite they dont have to hold the rooms i was able to still get the room for the price i was informed i would be paying for the room that was given away. I was offered to call the front desk and request a room change the following day. Everytime I called i either received a busy signal or voice mail. I swear I have stayed in so many hotels across the USA and by far this dive of a hotel dont even deserve a terrible rating its is horrible and unbelievable. Granted I shouldnt complain because it was a last min trip and we needed a place to stay and every where else wanted to charge out landish prices which the price for this place was the best thing the rooms we got where suppose to be 79$ a nite but when i reserved the rooms the clerk from the afternoons had set everything up for 2 non smoking rooms in the front which was the 69$ rooms but ended up moving us to the back because we needed smoking rooms and she left our price at the 69$ when we did finally check in we was informed the rooms had gone up to 89$ a nite and per the prev agreement the nite clerk did honor the 69$ rate. which this was a major help. But i will not ever stay here again nor will i ever recommend this hotel to anyone. there are a lot of undesirables floating around the hotel grounds. Even during check in the nite clerk allowed someone else in the lobby and the male was trying to argue with me around the price of the rooms as if he worked there which he was ignored. I will say the house keeping staff acts as if they can no speak english and also they are not thorough with their cleaning as we found food along the base of the beds and hair in the shower. if for any reason anyone has to stay at this hotel please bring the following items to attempt to make ur stay a little more comfy... lysol, air spray, candles, and any other disinfectant that you would like to use to wipe down everything in the room.

Room Tip: pay some extra money and stay at a name brand hotel
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family