“A bit rough” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #43 of 45 Hotels in Wilmington
Duncan, NC
“A bit rough”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

Room had an odor that was not very pleasant. Lights did not work. Room not very clean. Pool was dirty. We had planned to stay several nights but cut our stay to the one night and moved on. I am sure the Inn would be fine for college students but I did not want my family staying there.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

For 50 dollars a night, this has to be a good value hotel with a large, clean room, including a refrigerator and good AC. The bed was large and comfortable and although this is a very basic hotel, there is little to actually complain about. The towels are of poor quality, but that is no major hardship, and the breakfast is minimal: cereal, bananas and some cinnamon cakes with coffee and orange juice. Not great admittedly, but it sufficed.

We enjoyed reading around the outside pool on the evening and whilst we accepted that this was basic accommodation, we enjoyed our stay here and the Wilmington area as well. We stayed for two nights.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Mississippi, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2012

I dont even think i can rate this hotel. All the reviews I read were nice and made me wanted to stay once i got here the nite clerk JACK was rude as hell. I made the comment I would not stay here again and was told by the clerk "well you dont have to stay here now" 1st n foremost the customer is always rite. I had reserved 2 rooms side by side and one of my rooms was given away. One room had boogers all over the bathroom wall the other room smelled of something dead. The phones didnt work in either room and the remotes for the tv either didnt have batteries or the volume control didnt work. the AC took forever to cool the room off. The only plus was that the bathroom was a nice size and the shower was wonderful with the water temp. The beds are comfortable in the 2story building which is high priced then the other rooms. But because I was reserved for 2 rooms and the nite clerk gave one away per saying his manager said check in after midnite they dont have to hold the rooms i was able to still get the room for the price i was informed i would be paying for the room that was given away. I was offered to call the front desk and request a room change the following day. Everytime I called i either received a busy signal or voice mail. I swear I have stayed in so many hotels across the USA and by far this dive of a hotel dont even deserve a terrible rating its is horrible and unbelievable. Granted I shouldnt complain because it was a last min trip and we needed a place to stay and every where else wanted to charge out landish prices which the price for this place was the best thing the rooms we got where suppose to be 79$ a nite but when i reserved the rooms the clerk from the afternoons had set everything up for 2 non smoking rooms in the front which was the 69$ rooms but ended up moving us to the back because we needed smoking rooms and she left our price at the 69$ when we did finally check in we was informed the rooms had gone up to 89$ a nite and per the prev agreement the nite clerk did honor the 69$ rate. which this was a major help. But i will not ever stay here again nor will i ever recommend this hotel to anyone. there are a lot of undesirables floating around the hotel grounds. Even during check in the nite clerk allowed someone else in the lobby and the male was trying to argue with me around the price of the rooms as if he worked there which he was ignored. I will say the house keeping staff acts as if they can no speak english and also they are not thorough with their cleaning as we found food along the base of the beds and hair in the shower. if for any reason anyone has to stay at this hotel please bring the following items to attempt to make ur stay a little more comfy... lysol, air spray, candles, and any other disinfectant that you would like to use to wipe down everything in the room.

Room Tip: pay some extra money and stay at a name brand hotel
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank IcEy R
Boone, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2012

I'm not sure where I should start...this was the worst hotel my husband and I have ever stayed in. It seemed really nice from the website, but it's totally opposite from that! When we checked in we got room #108 on the front side by the pool. First, the A/C wasn't even on and it was HOT, the bathroom was so small when you sat on the toilet you were also sitting on the toilet paper holder and your back was up against the shelf behind the toilet. There were stains all over the curtains and floor, burn holes everywhere and a strange musty odor in the room. We turned on the A/C, went down to the beach and came back, it was finally cool in the room. We laid down for bed and were comfy only for my husband to be woken up scratching and itching all over. He had huge whelps on his body from what appeared to be bites. He immediately starting removing sheets and covers from the bed to discover bed bugs crawling. He went to the office around 6am and the guy at the front desk apologized and offered us another room, on the backside in the two story building, which I must say seemed to be kept up a little better and it was definitely had a larger room and bathroom in it, this was room #156. After moving everything over to that room we were going to head back to the beach that evening. While leaving the hotel parking lot people were hanging out and lurking around the hotel. Completely strange. To top it all off, a guy was urinating in the parking lot which is REALLY inappropriate. We drove by the front desk and I notified the man, which he had already received a call from another room about the loud music which was also blaring outside in the parking lot. A gentleman immediately went back to check this out. When we finally returned everything had seemed to quiet down. After laying down for our second night, we were woken up once again around 7am by someone knocking and beating at our door, which wasn't a maid. I'm not sure if it was kids or what. This is a really nasty hotel and it's definitely not well maintained. I wouldn't recommend anyone to stay at this hotel unless your a drug addict or a hooker, it seems to attract those types of people. With that being said, it you absolutely have to stay here, ask for a non-smoking room or either a room in the two story building, they are somewhat nicer than the other rooms for some unknown reason.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Haley6311
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

Dont leave your room for two seconds youll have valuables stolen and prostitutes trying to rent your room so they can make money and drug deals going on all around and the owners act clueless and hire people that cant speak english and dont have a greencard and act like they dont understand english

• Stayed June 2012
3 Thank denacole
North Wilkesboro, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2012

The Carolinian Inn has to be the WORST place I have ever stayed in. My husband, daughter, and myself were in town for a family wedding. They chose a weekend where every hotel close to their wedding site was booked due to a soccer tournament. This was our only option at the time. First off let me say that my husband and I did not feel safe letting our four year old stay there. There were undesirables lurking outside of our room yelling and being very rude. This went on the majority of the night. Not only was this already a miserable experience they claimed that we destroyed the room. This is a ridiculous accusation and they charged us $45 extra. We were barely in the room the whole time we were there. The room was left the exact same way as we found it. Apparently the maids are more trustworthy than us. That is unbelieveable. Like I said earlier I wouldn't reccomend this to my worst enemy.

Room Tip: Don't stay here at all if you can avoid it.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank GabbysMom08
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2011

I enjoyed the Carolinian Inn. The room was clean, everything worked, the towels were changed daily, the shower was hot, and both the cable and internet worked. The breakfast bar had raisin bran, fresh milk and bananas which I enjoyed. Staff were professional and always on call if you needed them. The only drawback about leaving a good review, is that the next time I want to reserve a room, it might be full, because you read this review. This is a good little motel… don’t expect fresh flowers and mints on your pillow, but you can buy them with the money you save.

My complaints are with fellow travelers. The moron with his big diesel truck that needed to warm it up starting at 5:50am… and the jerk that had to handle every banana before picking a couple to take, while tossing the rest back (my breakfast banana was one of his “rejects.” Can’t blame the motel for crappy customers.

Room Tip: Their rooms on the second floor are more expensive, but maybe worth it. Ground floor rooms do have...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business