“WARNING: DON'T GO!”

9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“WARNING: DON'T GO!”
Reviewed July 6, 2014

We walked in the front doors and here is where the experience began. Apparently, my daughter (who is 14) decided to use her phone to take a picture of the giant stuffed gorilla on one of the racks to send to her friend back home while I paid the RIDICULOUS fee to enter the zoo area. While I was hand the clerk my card to pay she yells to my daughter "NO TAKING PICTURES IN THE GIFT SHOP!!" while another employee steps up as if for reinforcement and says "you can take pictures in the zoo but not in the gift shop. Me, thinking it was a pretty harmless thing to do, asked why. The clerk replies "because there are signs posted everywhere that says no picture taking in the gift shop". To which I again question. She then tells us "because people like to come in after being all hot and sweaty out in the zoo part and try on hats and take pictures". Ummmmm....so then shouldn't the sign say "No trying on items that you haven't purchased"??? Anyway, the treatment we received was nothing compared to the horrible conditions and treatment of those poor, poor animals. I am an animal lover, yes. But I also feel that zoo's play a great role in animal preservation. NO THIS ONE! The poor bear was in such a small little concrete pen that I wanted to cry. The giraffe was in a pen all by himself and the miniature ponies were all matted and their hooves were deplorable. Granted, you can get up close and personal with the animals but it only allows you to get a closer look how dilapidated and sad the animals are. Avoid this place at all costs! Someone needs to shut them down!

Visited July 2014
20 Thank Nikki C

Elkin
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Love this place.”
Reviewed July 5, 2014

We have been there two times and have loved it. Liked it better than NC Zoo. Great for kids. I like that the animals are so close to you.

Visited July 2014
4 Thank Karlavacation
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Been as a child and teenager. Will never go back.”
Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

I visited this zoo numerous times as a child. I now protest this zoo because conditions are poor and the animals suffer. They are too small and have too many animals, particularly large ones that need more natural habitats to thrive. The owners need to improve the conditions or find sanctuaries for the majority of the animals.

9 Thank Caroline B
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Neglected & fungus filled & Pathetic & cruel”
Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

Mini horses hooves so badly over grown they are curling up. This is what you see only after months of neglect. (I'm a professional horse trainer & per vet graduate so I can speak with my credentials; this is neglect) they also had rain rot (a fungus) on their faces from lack of proper grooming. Bears living on cement. Lions have a smaller pen then my 60lb dog! Heard/social animals such as zebras, giraffe are alone no companions not that there's any room for companions. All animals had minimal water dishes. Again my dog has a bigger bucket. Very sad excuse for a zoo and I will be contacting the local humane society in regards to this neglect.

Visited June 2014
19 Thank Theresa R
The Southern USA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“Fun way to see exotic animals up close”
Reviewed June 12, 2014

Visited Tregembo Animal Park recently and enjoyed it. From what I understand, the owner personally traveled all over to collect these animals, and they are very clearly well cared for. There are signs all over the place with a # to call (the office) if you see anyone bothering the animals in any way, as the people will then be thrown out.

This is a smallish, family-run operation, as you will see when you pay your admission, which is not cheap at $12 per adult and $8 per child. (It is NOT part of the national zoo program, so if you are a member somewhere, you will not get in free or for a reduced rate.) I knew all this in advance and I don't mind paying a little more if I feel the money is going toward the animals' care. We went through the entire park in just under 2 hours.

They also sell small packages of peanuts in the shell and dried corn for $1 each, and there are signs as to which animals can be fed what (if anything).

It's a zoo, y'all. In an ideal world, every animal would have an immense habitat that mimics its natural surroundings and gives it tons of room to play. That's not always possible. If you're going to a zoo, and a small family-run one at that, please adjust your expectations. The crappy reviews saying "sad!" and such don't accurately reflect anything to do with the place itself as an attraction.

To me, each animal's habitat seemed clean and well-kept. A huge bear was happily lounging in a large tub of cool water. Monkeys scampered for peanuts, goats gobbled up corn, parrots said HELLO! and several peacocks roam the ground freely (and will eat shelled peanuts from your hand!) and this is the first zoo where I have seen a lion actually awake and looking around interestedly in daylight hours.

I'm not sure if I'll to visit again, as I have an NC Zoo membership and I live closer to the large zoo in Asheboro. But the children with me enjoyed seeing and feeding the animals here very much.

Be forewarned that not all paths are paved, so wheelchairs could have some trouble getting around.

Visited June 2014