“If you like a smile with your order....”

Jackson's Big Oak Barbecue
Ranked #90 of 711 Restaurants in Wilmington
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Reviewed May 26, 2012

The wait staff are genuinely friendly though busy most of the time but have their customers in mind in everything they do. Food served hot and in good time. Good selection of sides. Restaurant kept clean and well lit. A bit noisy but they do appeal to families as the place to be.

7  Thank Harry P

Reviewed April 26, 2012

Jackson' Big Oak BBQ has been around for years. It is located on a quiet stretch of Kerr Ave. The BBQ is authentic and good. Note, I didn't say great, but very good. You can order different combinations and sides. The french fried okra is good but eat it fast because once it cools down it isn't very good. The other sides are OK. The place is big with natives and if you are a yankee it kind of stands out. We're yankees, but have had decent service on average. Unlimited sweet tea and soda. Busy take-out service. Cool inside on a hot Wilmington summer day.
However, the real reason to go to Jackson's is not the food. You can better elsewhere. The real reason to go to Jackson's is to see the Big Oak. The Big Oak is a live oak that is estimated at around 425-450 years old!! It is magnificent! Enormous girth and limbs that extend Lord-only-knows how many feet. It is surrounded by a low fence. It is truly a beautiful sight and, I've been told, the second oldest tree in New Hanover County.

Reviewed April 13, 2012

We went for dinner and had a coupon from Restaruants.com that they claim they are not taking anymore because they didnt sign up for it. Well thats hard to believe. The worst part is when I asked to speak to the manager they told me he was out back. When he came in he completely ignored me and my wife and walked back in the kitchen. I then asked who ran the business because I wanted to know why the coupons were no good. The hotess just said we stopped taking them months ago cause we were losing money on them. As we were leaving a lady that probably puts food on the plate was really rude and said have a nice evening. When my wife questioned what she said she was talking to someone else but we were the only ones in the hostess area. Just a poor run place if you ask to speak to a manager and he will not even talk to the customers. They could have said we can give you 10% off or apologized but got nothing but smart mouth employees in the background. Never again will I go or will I recommend anyone at this place.

Reviewed January 6, 2012

Nice folks, great food and excellent take-out operation make this our go-to restaurant when friends are in town for Southern fare.

Reviewed December 23, 2011

Average BBQ served on plastic plates with so-so sides.