“maybe we ordered the wrong things”
Review of The Basics

The Basics
Ranked #18 of 698 Restaurants in Wilmington
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 3, 2013

The service was pleasant and efficient. The setting was agreeable, if rather noisy. The portions were large and the prices would have been reasonable had the food beem good.
But that's the problem. The "house-smoked" barbecue was served with a good eastern North Carolina sauce, but it had no taste of smoke -- or much of anything else. The bacon did have some taste, but it was mildly off, and limp to boot. (How hard is it to buy good bacon?) But the worst was the fried okra: aged to the point of woodiness, in a soggy batter that fell off as often as not. Frozen okra from the grocery store would have been far better. (Some cole slaw was OK.)
Given what others have written about this place, we obviously hit them on a very bad day. But either the cook hadn't tasted this food, or doesn't know what pork barbecue, bacon, and fried okra are supposed to be.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

Choosing The Basics was a great decision. It happen to be Restaurant Week and they had several tempting options, but we choose to order separately on the menu. We each ordered the Shrimp and Grits and it was delicious! It was our last dinner in NC and it was the perfect choice. We really enjoyed the restaurant, it was a simple, laid back atmosphere but the server was very attentive and most pleasant. The restaurant was busy and it was on a weeknight. We choose to take our dessert back with us and it was also very good. I would not hesitate to recommend 100%!
Hope we come back to Wilmington for I will surely go back to order the Shrimp and Grits again!

Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

Visited the restaurant for "restaurant week." Got a great, 3-course meal with a bottle of wine to share included in the price. Our server was attentive but not overbearing and fun to talk to. The place didn't get too busy until after 7pm. It was a weeknight. Overall, I'd eat here again. Great local place

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Brick walls, downtown, fresh authentic southern cuisine. Best pancakes in town. I felt healthier leaving than when I arrived. great coffee too. Better than even the great Tupelo Honey of Asheville, NC. I would say just go try it...you wont regret it.

2  Thank rooftop78
Reviewed October 1, 2013

We were looking for a comfortable laid back restaurant and this was perfect. Recommended by staff at our hotel, the food was very good, medium priced and the right amount. I had Shrimp with grits and my husband had the meatloaf. Both delicious. Atmosphere relaxing with great wait staff. I definitely recommend.