“Good choice for a rainy day”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Basics

The Basics
Ranked #26 of 668 Restaurants in Wilmington
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Thousand Oaks, California
“Good choice for a rainy day”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

Went here for lunch while getting daughter moved in to UNCW. Crowded even on a week day. Sat in the bar area which was fine. Lots of Southern choices. Fried okra was good but collards had way to much vinegar on them. My daughter LOVED the meatloaf (it is a huge portion so you can share it). Grouper was done nicely. Looked like they had some killer desserts but portions left no room to sample. Can walk around the building and explore when you are don.

• Visited August 2013

“Excellent brunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

Th Omelet Special With Veg And Red Pepper Cream Sauce Was Out Of This World. Fruit Plate Side With Scuppernong Grapes Was Not Your Usual Also Ran, But Fresh And Delicious. Kids Meals Were Excellent Choices And Everyone Enjoyed the Bottled Sodas. Reasonable Price Tag. Kids Had Fun Identifying Stars From Old Rolling Stone Covers On the wall. Definitely Coming Again.

• Visited September 2013
Woodbridge, Virginia
“Would try again...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

Our family ate lunch at The Basics yesterday, and we were very happy with the meal. The restaurant had lots of iconic Southern choices, so we ordered a variety.

My husband had Brunswick stew, which was quite flavorful but a little on the spicy side for such a huge serving. He also ordered a side of Hoppin' John which he LOVED.

My daughter had a grilled pimento cheese sandwich, which she thought was wonderful. The pimento cheese wasn't the best she's ever had, but tasty nonetheless.

My son ordered the BLT with a side of mac and cheese, and he was thrilled with his entire meal. I had the special for the day - grilled salmon with mango and ginger over rice. I expected a mango and ginger chutney, but it was more of a drizzle. It was ok, but I was a little disappointed.

Although we were stuffed and didn't really have room for dessert, we wanted to try the Coca-Cola cake, so the four of us split a piece. It was VERY good, as was the vanilla bean ice cream that accompanied it. It was made fresh, as it took about 15 minutes to arrive. We'd definitely order that again!

Overall, it was a nice place for lunch...one I wouldn't hesitate to try again, although I wouldn't repeat my order. Other items on the menu sounded like they'd definitely be worth trying.

Visited August 2013
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Very nice looking restaurant but not the best to choice for a meal”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant is in a very trendy area of downtown and it looks great inside of a historic building. The atmosphere is nice, the service is average but friendly, and the food was less than less than average. I expected a little more from a local place, with local people, using local ingredients.

• Visited July 2013
Knightdale
“Never Disappointed. When You Stick With The Basics”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

I ate at this restaurant last year when we led a tour for visiting students. We enjoyed the food so much we had to bring this year's cohort to eat here. We were hoping they had the $25 pre fix 3 course meal which they did and we all took advantage of that. We all were able to choose an appetizer, entree and dessert. I am partial to fried green tomatoes so I ordered this again. Fried to perfection, the breaking was light, yet crisp. I had the salmon but opted for the Gorgonzola mashed potatoes instead of risotto. Awesome! All of the plates on our table were left clean and everyone ordered something different. The molten chocolate cake was to die for,( so I was told by the students). I was a little disappointed that they were out of peach cobbler (only reason I am giving them a 4 out of 5). The waitress was nice and very patient with the students. Did I mention they were Chinese on their first visit to US and didn't know what any of the food was? We all had to try to explain the dishes I.e. shrimp and grits. We will return again, after all 3rd time is the charm.

• Visited August 2013