“Boring and Bland”
Review of Sawmill Restaurant

Sawmill Restaurant
Ranked #188 of 711 Restaurants in Wilmington
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I went several times because it's just convenient to my house. But I now refuse to go. I think the food is probably frozen 'til it's cooked. Everything I have ever eaten there is just pretty darn tasteless. The fact that they often have obnoxious loud political TV on in the mornings does nothing to make me feel relaxed and comfortable for my meal either!

Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

We were in for breakfast, great food for the money, great taste, super quick to get food, serve could have been better. But can not complain about the food.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stopped here on our way to New Bern as there aren't many restaurants(non-chain) along this stretch of hwy17. Would not stop herer again. Service was poor (waitress was more interested in flirting with some of the patrons than on waiting on tables). The burger was tasteless. Basically, its a strip mall storefront joint with nothing but dearth of competition to justify it.

Reviewed September 22, 2012

Everything I've eaten her has been good. I especially liked their turkey / dressing and pork chops. they have a super special before 5 PM on week days, worth eating early.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

My wife and I stopped in for dinner on 9/4/12. This is an old-school, country cooking type place. The yellow signage, the strip mall location, and the plain decor made it rather pedestrian - and to be honest, we weren't looking for the Saw Mill Restaurant to be anything special.

We were wrong - it was very good, far better than we expected. I will point out that it was not perfect, as all of our sides tasted "industrial" (meaning they all appeared to be either out-of-the-can, packaged, frozen, or instant). So, though not perfect, the sides were still okay (but certainly not homemade, country cooking).

It was the main dishes - the meats - that the Saw Mill Restaurant really excelled at. My wife got the Country-styled Steak special and the steak was so tender that she cut it with her fork. The taste and quality was perfect - just like Grandmom would make (although the brown gravy tasted a bit "packaged"... it was okay, not spectacular). Again, the tenderness and tastiness of the steak made her dinner worth coming in for.

As for me, I ordered the grilled Salmon patties - and although they were a little on the thin side, they were grilled to perfection. Both patties were hot, delicious, and of high quality! I recommend them.

We both got hushpuppies and we liked them a lot. The sweet tea was very nice - and our waitress & service was excellent. Again, the meats alone made this a place to remember.

The restaurant was rather large, and very busy - especially for a Tuesday during "off season" (post Labor Day). We got the vibe that this is a very popular and successful enterprise. If all of their meats / main courses are as good as ours - we can see why. We give this establishment a thumbs up.