“I love the friendliness that the staff.”

TownePlace Suites Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach
Ranked #12 of 44 Hotels in Wilmington
Charlotte, North Carolina
“I love the friendliness that the staff.”
Reviewed January 19, 2011

Every time I stay at the TownPlace Suites Marriott what ever it is that I need the staff makes sure to accommodate me. I really do enjoy this hotel, I can say that this is my home away from home.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed January 18, 2011

Have stayed here twice. Summer and winter. Very comfortable, clean and well designed suites and room. Breakfast is acceptable - though the breakfast area is small.
The front desk staff, and housekeeping are exceptional. Centrally located, tucked away off the main road so it is quiet.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
North Carolina
Reviewed November 27, 2010

I booked a two-bedroom suite at this facility during October 2010, for a friend and me. Disappointment prevailed from the moment we entered the hotel. It had an awful smell, similar to pesticides. The lobby and hallways were small and had an unattractive, cluttered appearance. It did not help that at 4:30p several maid carts were in the rather narrow hallways, making it difficult to access the elevators. Our suite was smaller and less attractive than expected. Also there was only one bathroom. This was a deal-breaker, especially since I had called before booking and inquired as to whether each of the bedrooms had its own bathroom, and been told yes. I complained to the manager about this situation, and was told no one at the hotel could have given me this misinformation since none of their two bedroom suites had two baths (unfortunately I had not brought along notes that would have identified the person I spoke to). Also manager was unwilling to discount the price of the suite, for which we were paying premium price. We decided to seek accommodations at a different hotel, especially after discovering sizeable flecks of dirt on outer windows and other unappealing characteristics of suite. The nice thing, however, is that we were allowed to checkout without cost. I find it surprising that this is a Marriott property, since standards are generally much higher.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank April4NC
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed September 28, 2010

We just got back from staying the weekend at the TownePlace Suites in Wilmington. We were in town for a family wedding at Carolina Beach.

Overall, we were disappointed in this hotel. When we arrived to check in the front desk person, Christie, answered the phone 3 times while i was standing in front of her to check in and in the middle of our conversation and made me wait to check in. I also asked for a king bed when i made the reservation through Expedia and i was informed that the property didn't have any king rooms at all.

When we got to our room, we found the bathroom to be very small, there was no counter space. Also, the bathtub did not hold any water. Our son is 15 months and we could not get the tub to work. The indoor pool was very small. Also, the breakfast area was very small and the staff had a hard time keeping up with the number of guests demanding waffles and coffee. Since it was a free breakfast, i don't think it's that big of a deal it was just an inconvience. This hotel also didn't have a restaurant, but did have a small market area if you wanted to purchase food or drink.

Another thing that disappointed us about our stay was the housekeeping service. On Saturday when we returned to our room, the trash had been emptied and the towels replenished but the room had not been straightened and the beds had not been made. There was a note on the bedside table that said the beds could not be made with personal items on them. This was news to me and the only thing that was personal left on the bed was my son's blanket. This still didn't explain why the counters and dressers were not tidied up. The rooms were also not equipped with a safe.

On a postive note, the hotel is in a good location. That is probably the only good thing about it. It is close to the beaches, restaurants, and shopping. Overall, i was disappointed in this hotel and would recommend to look elseware if you are considering staying there.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank dmb413
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed August 20, 2010

Clean linen, clean bathroom, clean kitchen, good customer service. My only gripe was the check out time. At most hotels/motels I have stayed at checkout time was by noon. I thought 1100am was a little early to have to be out by. Clean w/great amenities!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
joycf2006
Reviewed August 19, 2010

Not perfect, but a very nice stay & worth it!

• Stayed August 2010
Casa Grande, Arizona
Reviewed August 2, 2010

My family stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. Our room was not ready when we arrived, which was 30 minutes before check-in time. Once we got to our suite (a 2 queen suite), we weren't sure it was actually ready then, either. There was a pile of sand on the floor near one of the beds, there were no washcloths, a dirty mirror above the sink, and there was no clock. It was not a good first impression. A very nice member of housekeeping found a clock for our room, and we did not complain about the rest.
The suite was quite big for the price, and there was plenty of storage in the form of shelves, drawers, and closet space. The desk area was nice. The kitchen was small but functional. There is a refrigerator, microwave, and 2-burner stove, but no oven. The toilet and tub/shower are separate from the sink. The room with the toilet and tub is very small and dimly lit. Considering there were many families at the hotel, our room was pretty quiet at night.
The pool is the tiniest one we've ever seen! The water was very cloudy, which concerned us. Our child enjoyed swimming in it, though. The breakfast area was also incredibly small. There were not many choices for food, and it seemed to be poorly laid-out for the number of people that used it. We also used the washer and dryer, which were $2 each.
The hotel is very close to Wrightsville Beach, and it is also easy to get downtown from there. We have mixed feelings about whether we'd stay again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family