All reviewscourtyard by marriottfront deskvan campenwrightsville beachcracker barrelbusy roadnice roombusiness travelgreat customer servicewould stay here againfirst floornice stayoutdoor poolconvenient locationbistrolobbyvivian
Reviewed July 1, 2012

I am not one that likes staying in hotels. However, I would go back here anytime. Stayed here for two nights for my honeymoon (we got married on the beach with family and wanted to get away for a few days). Upon check in, the front desk staff gave me two free beers to congratulate me on my wedding. The hotel was quaint but nice. Our room was very nice and clean. Our first morning we went to breakfast at the bistro (very good food, but it is not included). When we got back we heard a leaking noise. There was a leak above the bathtub. I called the front desk and let them know. We went shopping for about 2 hours and when we got back it was completely fixed and cleaned up. The front desk still offered us a new room but we didn't see any reason to move. Can't say enough about the friendly staff at this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 2, 2012

Cale Z; congratulations on your recent wedding! Thank you for choosing to stay with us for your honeymoon gataway. We're so glad you enjoyed our hotel near the beach. Our staff appreciates the kind words. Best of luck!

Reviewed June 29, 2012

I do a lot of business travel and have stayed at this particular Marriot for about 3 months total (so far this year). I travel to many different cities and stay at many Marriots and other Hotel Chains. This Marriot is bar none the BEST service you will get at a hotel!

Jay- You are amazing, your customer service is impeccable and your smile unwavering~ Thanks.

Bridgette- You are a sweetheart, thanks for the delicious Starbucks coffees.

Night Staff- Thanks for always remembering that I need 2 wake up calls, 15 minutes apart!

To all the staff and managers, you all have gone above and beyond to make my stay at your hotel memorable. This hotel should be the gold standard for Marriot service.

Good Job!!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded June 30, 2012

Heather C; you are the amazing one for sharing your experience at our Courtyard. On behalf of he entire staff, it has been our pleasure to earn your business! Thank you for the shout-outs for Jay, Bridgette and the night staff. I know they appreciate it.

Reviewed June 25, 2012

I'm a Marriott Rewards member and this is my 3rd hotel this month alone and it's been the most disappointing. Although I stay in Wilmington often I usually stay at the TownPlace or Residence Inn if I'm at the beach only a few days but never have I've been here before. The location is okay but not preferable to me. Since this was last minute I had to take what I could get and I truly mean that.

It's not a bad property, just not quite right for me. It looks like they remodeled using refurbished materials and second class labor. The rooms were redone two years ago, according to staff, yet it doesn't feel fresh at all to me. The bathroom tile is dated and the shower stall has this strange pattern in the fiberglass that just is cheerful. Looking at the workmanship of the paint and caulk work alone you think see subpar. The a/c unit is loud and so is the bathroom vent which seems to run all the time. The windows and doors are not seeled well, in fact when maintenance had the leaf blowers going the gas fumes became unbearable in my room. The a/c wasn't working in various parts of the hotel including the tiny elevators making me wish I had brought my dehumidifier from home since there was always a clammy or musty feeling happening. I had to try 2 or 3 ice machines to find one that worked. The fridge is so small I could only get a couple of drinks and that's all, my dinner leftovers had to be tossed. Oh and the only microwave on site was in the lobby. Yes that's right if you want to warm a piece of chicken ,as I did, you have to walk through the hallway and wait your turn to do it. How cheesy can you get? The pool and hot tub both needed work and the exterior, stucco and roofing, definately missed the reno too. With all that said, the staff did their best with what they had to work with. I found everyone pleasant and helpful and in no way responsible for the issues I had with this property. Sure is a let down after a week at the Marriott Towson U outside Baltimore, and the 3 nights at the Residence Inn Fairfax City outside DC.

Room Tip: Go to the TownPlace instead if it's not sold out.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded June 28, 2012

Hello Diane S; while we respectfully disagree with your opinion of our renovated property, we do appreciate your business. Following-up on a few of your observations, the hotel was renovated in two stages; the lobby, featuring The Bistro, was completed two years ago, while the sleeping rooms were finished just 13 months ago. The Marriott approved design is unique to the Courtyard brand. The artwork in the sleeping rooms as well as the colors throughout the hotel are unique to this property. We're sorry that it did not appeal to you. As far as the fan in the bathroom, it is wired to a motion-detector. You are not the first to comment on this recently, so I will look into reducing the time that the fan runs. I can assure you that all of our ice machines are in proper working order. What may have happened is that they were out of ice due to the many guests that fill their coolers before heading-out to the beach. Again, we appreciate your business, thank you for recognizing our terrific staff. Have a great summer - we are!

Reviewed June 24, 2012

I do not know if the policy has changed, but I brought my dog with me and stayed here and they were great about it - even after we'd gone to the beach and gotten more sand in our room than was normal, I bet. The location is good, it is easy to get to, and I still send people to stay here after I moved here five years ago.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank K W
Management response:Responded June 25, 2012

KW; thank you for choosing to stay with us. We're glad you enjoyed your stay and appreciate earning your business. The beach is open for business. It has been a great summer so far!

Reviewed June 18, 2012

Stayed here Father's Day wknd (2012). Although not on the beach or in the beach area, it is about an 8 to 10 min drive. I love that it is surrounded by several restaurants, shops and grocery stores...directly across the street from Walmart, can walk there. It is Newley renovated, the lobby looks like an upscale hotel, very nice! Downside is the bed is not too comfortable and the bathroom fan stays on and can not be turned off. So you hear a humming sound nonstop. Walls are also very thin, neighbors conversations, etc. easily heard. Friendly staff, I would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
ILMCY1, Director of Sales at Courtyard Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2012

anjrhubb; thank you for the honest feedback from your recent stay with us. We certainly appreciate your business as you have many choices in the area. We too like our location near many restaurants and directly between beautiful Wrightsville Beach and historic downtown Wilmington. Regarding your comment about our bathroom fans; they are on a motion detector and automatically turn-off after 15 minutes I do believe. The beds are all brand new. We're sorry you were not comfortable. Again, thank you for choosing to stay with us. We look forward to seeing you soon. Summer is here. The beach is open for business!