“In need of Customer Service Training”

Extended Stay America - Wilmington - New Centre Drive
Ranked #34 of 44 Hotels in Wilmington
Charlotte, North Carolina
“In need of Customer Service Training”
Reviewed July 27, 2012

I booked two rooms, and paid for them two weeks in advance for July 5 - 8. We arrived around 1:30 on the the 5th. Check in time was 3:00. After confirming our reservations, I asked the clerk if I could use the restroom. (I take several medications including a diuretic , and I am a diabetic).His response was, "we do not have a public restroom". I was really suprised at his response, especially since, I 'd paid for my rooms in advance. I considered myself a paying customer. The young man in no way tried to accomodate me, nor the other members of my party, who were also paying customers. Although the check in was 3:00, I can not understand, why I had to go down the street to Targets to use the restroom. Usually, a business such as this one, has a restroom for customers. I've never had that response before. I've stayed in many hotels, over the years and I have never been treated so rudely as a customer.I also booked a non smoking room, and was given a room for smokers, with no apology, basically this is all we have was the attitude. I visited the same area for Memorial day weekend, and stayed in a motel, not as nice. I must admit, the customer service was much better at the motel. Although, I arrived early there, the clerk 's friendly service was more appealing.I really appreciated it.I will take friendly customer service anyday. I addressed this issue with hotwire, since I booked the room through their and aslo sent an email to Extended Stay Corporate. I did not get a response from either. Maybe, customer satisfaction and consideraton is not at the top of there priorities.Customer service should never be neglected, no matter what price you pay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LadyAnn_12
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Wilmington - New Centre Drive, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience at our hotel. Providing for your total satisfaction, from the moment you arrive to the moment you depart, is my staff's primary duty. Hearing that we failed in your case is truly disheartening, and for that, I offer you my sincerest apology.

Our hotel prides itself on exceptional customer service. We know that you have many lodging choices in our area, so we see it as our duty to go the extra mile however we can. Not only is this my personal belief, but it is a guiding principle at our hotel. I have, therefore, reviewed with each staff member the importance of being professional and courteous to every one of our guests, no matter the circumstances.

Again, I apologize and promise you that we are committed to your total satisfaction. If there is anything you would like to discuss further with me or our guest relations team, please don't hesitate to contact us by visiting our website and clicking on the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. I do hope you will give us the honor of having you as a guest again if future travels will bring you into our area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I had to make a business trip to Wilmington and chose to stay at this hotel. My advice is to stay away. There is nothing good I can say about this Hotel, if I can call it that. First, I asked for a non-smoking room, we were ginev RM 238. As we opend the door, there was a very strong order of smoke. There were cigarette burns in the sheet and one in the curtain. My wife let out a screem, when I ran to see what was the problem, A roach was crawling on the air conditioned unit. On top of the fridge, looked like it hadn't been cleaned in months, the dirt was all caked up in balls. I had to use paper towels we bought with us to wipe it off it looked so disgusting. The floor was stickey, and it felt that it hadn't been moped. The coffee poy was dirty and grimey. Looks like all they do is just rinse it out with water. Under the small kitchen sink, was full of water and looke like what appeared to be mice droppings. No tv, when I brought it to the attention of the front desk, his reply was " really, maybe you should check the cable connection" not I'm sorry, I will send someone to look at it. Thank god it was just a night. Oh and get this, when you go down to the front desk let's say at 6 or 6:30 there is no one there. There is a shut screen. These people go home after a certain hour. I have never been to a hotel where there was never someone at the front desk, no matter what time you went. Don't look for a pool or jacuzzi either, there is none. Stay away from this place. It's a good thing my wife takes lysol spray when we trevel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Raptor47
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Wilmington - New Centre Drive, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
I recently received a copy of your review of the Extended Stay America Wilmington - New Centre Dr.. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

Iron Station, North Carolina
Reviewed July 4, 2012

My stay there was wonderful. Everything was clean, the rooms were huge, and checkin/checkout was a breeze. When I left, I forgot a personal treasure in the room and the staff spent two days helping me track it down. The person who had cleaned the room wasn't working when I realized it was missing. The day shift and night shift were pleasant thru the whole process and once it was found, they promptly called me to let me know it had been located and kept it safe for me till it could be picked up. I have never stayed in a hotel before with such a welcoming, helpful staff. I can't wait till my next trip to Wilmington. I will definitely be staying here again regardless of price (Which was really good BTW)!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank beachgurl84
Thank you so very much for your glowing review of Extended Stay Wilmington. Whenever I read comments like yours it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. Please know that we would be thrilled to have you again as our guest should your travel needs bring you back to our area. Once again, thanks for all of your very kind words.
Reviewed May 13, 2012 via mobile

We waited until the last minute to book this room through Priceline and found out later that it was the weekend of UNCW graduation so that's why the better hotels were already full. We got here just after 11pm and as the previous reviewers mentioned, the front desk staff leaves at 11pm. The door to the lobby was already locked and the front desk lady looked like she was about to walk out the door. She said, 'use your key,' I said that I hadn't checked in yet so she let me in and I checked us in without any difficulty. There is a phone in the foyer to get in touch with someone if the front desk is closed.

I really liked our room. A previous reviewer mentioned that they need to update the rooms. I would say it looks like it has been done. The furniture is in great condition and looks new. Yes, the comforter and velux blanket had a few cigarette burns in it, but that didn't really bother me. The sheets smelled like Chlorox, which I think is a good thing. There were only 2 pillows and they were pretty small. The worst part about the room was the smell. It smelled like musty urine when we walked in, but that's ok, I didn't feel as bad when my dog peed on the carpet as soon as we got into the room.

I've never stayed at an Extended Stay before, so I wasn't sure what I was signing up for when I booked this room. It's sort of like a poor man's apartment complex. Don't expect housekeeping everyday. They only come if you stay longer than 7 days. You want clean towels, gotta go to the front desk for those. There is no hair dryer. And they only give you 2 small bars of soap. No shampoo, conditioner, lotion, etc. This is the basics and nothing extra. The dishes are lacking as previous reviewers said, but that didn't bother us, because we didn't really need them. There was a coffee maker with a package of coffee, but only 1 coffee mug.

Overall, I think this is a great hotel for dogs. It's clean, but sort of smells. I wouldn't suggest this for someone traveling alone or without dogs.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank UNCball
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Let start this off as saying that Priceline got me a low rate, and I got low service. The place smelled liike pets, not a good thing for someone who is allergic to cats. I pulled bedspread off to find blankter with pet hair on it and old dog nails stuck in fabric. Very nasty!!! Bathroom was so small. The door is like an inch away from toilet when it is open. A soda in their machine is like almost $2.00. Location was good and close to alot of things, but no one there would help me find where I needed to go.

If you like cheap prices in cheap places, then stay here!!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank BeachGuy69
Wilmington
Reviewed April 15, 2011

These guys evidently rent to anyone. My stay was filled with an obnoxiously loud group of idiots that stayed in the room next to mine. After several calls to the front desk, no resolution was met. A phone call to the local police department was necessary to control the guests. The management was completely inept and not very concerned about controlling the childish misconduct of their guests.

There are many better places and better prices for your stay in Wilmington.....DO NOT RENT HERE!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed April 10, 2011

I have traveled to Wilmington several times. I had passed to hotel multiple times and wondered what it was like and was hoping that this stay would be different and would not be motel like. I pulled up in the parking lot before check in and felt a knot in my stomach. The check in process was not exactly what i was suspecting. I was given a subtotal instead of adjusted total with the taxes included. I thought that was antiquated. The true total you receive at check in. I entered my "non-smoking" room and the room heavily smelled up smoke. The kitchenette had no NO SOAP whatsoever. The cup i was going to use from the cabinet had something dried up on the inside which disgusted me. The bathroom was clean but there was no lotion, shampoo, or conditioner that i normally expect to be in a hotel bathroom. The refrigerator was extremely loud. The bed in the room was absolutely the worst bed that i have ever paid to sleep in. There were 3 flat pillows and the mattress was probably just as hard as the floor. The bed quilt in the "non-smoking" room had multiple burn holes in it. I could hear the people in the hallways and the neighboring rooms very clearly so much so i was awakened from my sleep on multiple occasions. During my stay i feared for my safety when i entered the hotel and a man exiting the hotel held the door for me. When i exited the hotel again the man was still in the parking lot at the driveway of the hotel waiting to pass out materials about the religion he followed. It was unnerving to know that this man was inside the hotel where i was staying and obviously was not a guest of the hotel since he had the door propped open. I had an undue knock at my door at 10:54am on the day of check out from a hotel staff member wanting to know if i was going to check out. Six minutes later i walk down to the front desk to check out and find out that the checkout time is 11am but they were wanting to know if i was checking out or wanted to stay longer. OBVIOUSLY i was not going to be staying longer in this crappy location or else i would have communicated to the hotel that i wanted to extend my stay. There was absolutely no reason to harassed by the hotel staff before check out. I also assuming that the two times the phone rang in my room during my stay were probably from the over bearing staff wanting to know the same thing since they were the only ones who knew i was at the hotel. JUST DON'T DO IT. I have never felt agitated after staying at hotel normally the feeling is relaxing breath of fresh air. DON'T be fooled.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple