“Awful! This place is a total dump!”
Review of Super 8 Wilmington

Super 8 Wilmington
Ranked #37 of 44 Hotels in Wilmington
Raleigh, NC
“Awful! This place is a total dump!”
Reviewed July 21, 2008

My husband and I were in Wilmington to attend his cousin's funeral. He had been killed in the line of duty in Iraq. It was a stressful time to say the least, and this hotel experience did not help. It started the minute I walked into the lobby to check in. I had to wait for several minutes while the receptionist and some random person chatted it up about paint colors for her living room. When we got into the room, it was small, smelly, the curtains were torn, it was a mess. We were tired, and traveling with a baby, so we decided that since it seemed clean enough, we'd stay. When it was time to go to the funeral, we needed to iron our clothes, and my husband had to go down to the front desk to "borrow" an iron, and a little bitty ironing board. The iron left black marks on his shirt that won't come out. The guy at the front desk accused me of not knowing how to iron. I also found an empty beer can in the corner of the room. I wrote a letter to formally complain, and was told they had a 15 minute satisfaction guarantee, so if I didn't like it I should have complained then. How was I supposed to know about that? I'll NEVER stay there again, and I hope you don't either!

• Liked — absolutely nothing
  • Disliked — Everything!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
WilmingtonNcGem, Manager at Super 8 Wilmington, responded to this review, April 14, 2010
We would like to apologise for your stay at Super 8 motel and would like to inform you that we have renovated the whole hotel. New carpet new curtains bathrooms furniture etc. We also now have a continental breakfast. Our new staff are also very curteous and well accomdating who will go out of their way to make you feel very welcome. We do pride in our customer service and would like to apologize for any inconvience the stay may have caused you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed June 8, 2008

My wife and I planned a last minute beach get away to escape the triple digit heat that had settled on Eastern North Carolina. I scoured the internet to find anything open in the Surf City area only to find everything was booked. Considering the close proximity to the weekend and the heat wave I was not surprised. I changed my focus to the Wrightsville Beach area. I was delighted to find a motel in Wilmington that was under $100.00 a night. In fact the bill was only $79.00 for a single with a queen sized bed, which was just what we were looking for. With taxes and fees we paid about $90.00 for the one night we stayed there.

It was only a 15 minuted drive to the beach and there is a great selection of restaurants and other conveniences spread out along Market St. where the Super 8 is located. In fact my wife and I were able to simply walk out of the hotel and across to the adjacent parking lot and into a nice Chinese buffet for dinner. There is a large IHOP restaurant down the road as you head toward the beach. (IHOP is one of our FAVORITE places to get breakfast :))

The room was very nicely decorated and furnished including a small refrigerator, microwave, coffee pot, and color TV with cable. My wife who is a tea drinker was impressed that tea bags were provided alongside the drip coffee packs. We had never see tea offered in a motel room at this price range. Additionally there was a small safe in which to place valuables.

We always request a non-smoking room as neither of us smoke. We were pleased to find that there was no trace oder from smokers in the room. We have had problems at some places when we get a non-smoking room that smells like they just finished a tobacco convention in there the previous night.

The air conditioner was only on low cool and we had to turn it warmer because it was doing such a good job of keeping the room cool.

The bathroom was one of the best I've seen in this price range with a simulated granite counter top, freshly painted walls and spotless, gleaming cleanliness. The shower head had about six different settings including a very brisk and refreshing massage pulse. The water pressure was very good and the hot water was quite hot enough to enjoy.

The desk staff was very polite and courteous and was able to get me checked in and out quickly and easily. The only trouble I had was that the front desk person, while very professional and competent, was a bit hard to understand as he had a considerable foreign accent.

All in all I have to say it was an enjoyable experience and I would recommend this motel to anyone.

• Liked — Close proximity to beach with afforable rates.
  • Disliked — Desk clerk was hard to understand.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
NC
Reviewed March 31, 2008

Upon our arrival (which was very late), we noticed several 2nd floor rooms with the sliding glass windows opened; people partying and apparent underage drinking going on; we witnessed one male getting a room and then about 4 sneaking in the back door; we smelled pot; the floor in our unit was nasty and the bed looked like it had been slept in already; the pillow case had a stain in it; we requested two more pillow cases; the next morning we put all the sheets in the hallway to make sure we got clean ones; the room was too hot and we could not get it cooled enough. Partying going on all night. The price was great but of course, you get what you pay for, right? We will NOT be returning. I loved Wilmington but this is not the best section of town. Stay elsewhere please.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
We would firsly like to apologise for your stay being awful and would like to inform you that the motel has had a change of both staff and management since. We have worked on our clientele where there has been a vast change in the clientele we rent to. Hopefully this may encourage you to come and stay with us next time you are in the area. Or just come in a take a tour of our motel.
north carolina
Reviewed March 2, 2008

I had been informed by the hotel that I could book the room and hold it with my credit card and pay cash. Before checking In I found out that the hotel had charged my card three times the rate of the room. My card had been declined and they had given our room away. My husband had called her just 15 min before getting to the hotel, she could have told him this information over the phone, instead she said everything was ready and we could get into our room before 3:00. I informed the lady that there had to be some mistake. From that moment on she was rude and nasty with her comments. We decided to stay at another hotel that was higher in price but worth it. Sometimes cheep isn't worth it.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — The Owners
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
We would like to apologise for errors regarding your reservation and assure you we have had a change in both staff and management. Horefully, when you are in the area next time you can give us another chance.
Washington, DC
Reviewed June 4, 2007

Clean, excellent customer service. Stayed because of price and WiFi access. Will stay again and recommend it. No elevators but short walk upstairs.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
Greensboro, NC / North Myrtle Beach, SC
Reviewed January 1, 2007

Wilmington's Super 8 Motel is a good option for the traveler on a tight budget or for those (like me) who spent New Year's Eve partying and needed a place to "crash" for a few hours.

Check-in was quick if not particularly friendly, and the "common areas" seemed in good repair. However, the dormitory-like hallways smelled strongly of tobacco smoke downstairs (and of marijuana on the third floor); keep in mind, my visit coincided with New Year's Eve, and the motel was packed with out-of-town college students. Fortunately, the smoky smell was absent inside my room.

My room was very spartan but clean and in good repair. The "view" consisted of the back of a Chinese restaurant and traffic along busy Market Street. The mattress could have been more comfortable, and the pillow quality was sub-par. However, it slept well after a long night on the town!

Market Street (except for the portion passing through the ritzy and expensive historic district) can be a sketchy area. However, Super 8 has 24-hour secured electronic card access and well-lighted, ample parking. I did not feel unsafe there, and I had no qualm with parking my car at the motel. (Beware the Howard Johnson, Econo Lodge, and Best Western/Carolinian Inn nearby...all dark and scary-looking!)

Unfortunately, the "charming" part of Wilmington is several miles away, but nightclubs and nice restaurants are a straight shot down Market Street to the waterfront area.

In short, the college student or budget traveler will find decent accommodations at Wilmington's Super 8 Motel.

• Liked — Price, value for money
  • Disliked — Smoky halls, depressing views
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with friends
1 Thank history_prof_2b
Chicago
Reviewed October 17, 2006

THERE IS A 30 DAY ADVANCE NOTICE FOR CANCELLATION!!!
I made my reservation on September 14, tried to call and cancel but was told that my last day for cancellation was August 20. On August 20 I didn't even know I needed a hotel room.

The hotel staff was VERY rude when discussing this problem policy with me. They game me the run around before calling me a liar hanging up on me.

I'm sure it might look nice inside but I went with another hotel.

Stayed September 2006